Self inflicted stupidity

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 11:38am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I love you blokes - makes me look normal Hug

This happened a while back....

I'm almost too embarrassed to put this one up......

I was whipping some loops on my saltwater fly lines and working with superglue.
Fiddly little job to just add literally a spot to lines - opened tube with teeth to keep both hands free......yep......job done and go to put the glue back into cap still in my mouth....miss completely and end up squirting superglue onto my lips that join.

Wild panic........ripped lips......blood everywhere.

NO!
No pictures.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 5:55pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A friend is a DOC ranger, and said he would bring the burley for a trip many years ago. It was only as we were setting up to start fishing & he took it out of the shopping bag he realised he had grabbed the wrong bag - it was a frozen kiwi. 
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 6:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by waynorth waynorth wrote:

A friend is a DOC ranger, and said he would bring the burley for a trip many years ago. It was only as we were setting up to start fishing & he took it out of the shopping bag he realised he had grabbed the wrong bag - it was a frozen kiwi. 

The best crayfish bait!Wink
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 6:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I used to think I was one of the clumsiest anglers on the planet. I now know that isn't true. Some funny stories here! Keep them coming I know there's more LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 6:31pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Espresso, come on in, I'm sure you must have seen some sights
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 6:34pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/new-boat-fat-snaps-4-stitches_topic61223_post873542.html?KW=#873542

I don't remember seeing that post Telecaster, but it's a goodie!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote fitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 6:42pm
fitty View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Many years ago Marligator and I were fishing the annual Tauranga verses Mt interclub competition in my 17 ft McLay .On arrival at Mayor prior to daylight I was preparing a large skippy bait for a large Mayor snapper. I sliced my finger with the sharp knife instead . Marligator steered the good ship Strayliner back to Tauranga where I received 11 stitches to my forefinger. By midday we were on our way back to Mayor.The funniest part of this incident was later in the day Marligator had a choice of two of rods that had fish screaming out line . Marligator picked the rod that had a very large barracouta on it. I wound in on his other rod a 9 kg snapper that earnt third prize overall !!Justice I say!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 6:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by fitty fitty wrote:

Many years ago Marligator and I were fishing the annual Tauranga verses Mt interclub competition in my 17 ft McLay .On arrival at Mayor prior to daylight I was preparing a large skippy bait for a large Mayor snapper. I sliced my finger with the sharp knife instead . Marligator steered the good ship Strayliner back to Tauranga where I received 11 stitches to my forefinger. By midday we were on our way back to Mayor.The funniest part of this incident was later in the day Marligator had a choice of two of rods that had fish screaming out line . Marligator picked the rod that had a very large barracouta on it. I wound in on his other rod a 9 kg snapper that earnt third prize overall !!Justice I say!!

Crikey I hope you shouted Marligator a few beers after that! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 6:57pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All ewes are in a league of your own...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 9:13pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Most recent accident ?
last weekend  spent 5 mins sharpening my knife  then put it away in its sheath in the tackle box. 9 yr old son then borrows it to cut up some line and just puts in back in minus sheathe  UPside down. I then reach in whilst tying up some knots to get the knot cutter and voila ! a finger that looks like a freshly sharpened pencil.

My wife must think im clumsy. If im about to leave on a fishing trip she will run out the door to ask me if i have remembered to take the steri strips lol.

Worst ever near accident that would have made internet boating/fishing sites go  ooooh, for sure ?

Was camping at Port Jackson and holding a 7 metre boat off the beach so extended family could board their boat and not beach it. Stern facing the beach. Was hot so was wearing trousers. 
Waist deep and everyone on board, about to let go when all the people at the back moved forward.
Stern rises and trousers hook onto a bolt head.
Outboard starts up and off they go.
With me still attached and one leg each side of a very large outboard yelling my head off.
Luckily trousers rip about 3 seconds later and im free. 3 Very long intense seconds.

swim back to beach and stand up to assess damage. Large scalloped cuts all the up both pants legs from ankle to mid thigh. Just an elevated heart rate physically otherwise though.

Still gives me the ****s thinking about it.  All my outboards have had prop guards since.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 5:37am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Wanda_Ra Wanda_Ra wrote:

Most recent accident ?
last weekend  spent 5 mins sharpening my knife  then put it away in its sheath in the tackle box. 9 yr old son then borrows it to cut up some line and just puts in back in minus sheathe  UPside down. I then reach in whilst tying up some knots to get the knot cutter and voila ! a finger that looks like a freshly sharpened pencil.

My wife must think im clumsy. If im about to leave on a fishing trip she will run out the door to ask me if i have remembered to take the steri strips lol.

Worst ever near accident that would have made internet boating/fishing sites go  ooooh, for sure ?

Was camping at Port Jackson and holding a 7 metre boat off the beach so extended family could board their boat and not beach it. Stern facing the beach. Was hot so was wearing trousers. 
Waist deep and everyone on board, about to let go when all the people at the back moved forward.
Stern rises and trousers hook onto a bolt head.
Outboard starts up and off they go.
With me still attached and one leg each side of a very large outboard yelling my head off.
Luckily trousers rip about 3 seconds later and im free. 3 Very long intense seconds.

swim back to beach and stand up to assess damage. Large scalloped cuts all the up both pants legs from ankle to mid thigh. Just an elevated heart rate physically otherwise though.

Still gives me the ****s thinking about it.  All my outboards have had prop guards since.

Ohhh my goodness! You win!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 8:25am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Might be just as well you had been standing in cold water already !!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 8:39am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

I love you blokes - makes me look normal Hug

This happened a while back....

I'm almost too embarrassed to put this one up......

I was whipping some loops on my saltwater fly lines and working with superglue.
Fiddly little job to just add literally a spot to lines - opened tube with teeth to keep both hands free......yep......job done and go to put the glue back into cap still in my mouth....miss completely and end up squirting superglue onto my lips that join.

Wild panic........ripped lips......blood everywhere.

NO!
No pictures.

Gumon Kev pics or it didn't happen! ClapLOL

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 8:50am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We have a long 50m driveway.. and  an island just to the left by the kerb, and another on the middle of the road...
 This means its hard enough to get out the drive turn left with the big horn or camaro , let alone with a trailer behind.

This means a big detuor turning right with the boat behind.
 1/2 way up the drive opens up and widens into more than a 2x wide with the neighbours.  Means we ot then can park in the derive and still drive around past into eachs backs .. even with a traile behind,.
Anyway for about 5 yrs , every trip out fishing means the big tiki tour to fill up up tanks and carry on to the ramp..
Then one day, Wife on board, boat behind, she say
"why not swing onto the neighbours drive to get a good swing to get between the islands?"

So not only was it going out but no longer needed the tiki tour to come home either..

Side note.. when they put the islands in 15/20yrs back (slow down speedsters) the ends of the island where going to be right next to our drive entrance which meant there is no way we could exit the drive turning left.
So got hold of the works site supervisor and told him.."put them that close and I will get the digger and rip them up"
So he told me the consequences if I did.. and I told that if he doesnt have some person of authority come out and discuss, that when this hits the papers  it will be a case of bureaucratic stupidity and would he like to answer to his bosses after that had been grilled on a Holmes program..
 He knew I meant what I said cause he could see the digger parked in the shed down the drive.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 1:19pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

23 yrs ago a group of friends and I traveled up to Whangaparaoa Peninsula for a night fish at army bay. We would surf cast from the beach and use my sea kayak to take the baits out further.
I was sitting in the shallow wash getting ready. Looking over my left shoulder back towards the beach I hadn't noticed that the bow had moved off center to the waves. A small wave less than a ft turned me sideways in a quick motion and rolled me over. I remember popping back upright with an intense pain in my left arm. I spent the night in Auckland hospital getting a full dislocation of the elbow reset and 5 weeks off work. It still gives me grief today.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 5:12pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Back in the late 1980's somewhere a couple of mates and I fished Waihau Bay for a couple of weeks each summer. Towed a boat up from Napier or Gisborne depending on whose boat we were using. 

In those days Waiahu Bay was relatively undiscovered and wasn't super crowded like it is now. We used to book a cabin at the camp ground.
One year we are there one evening, and after a few late beers with the guys in the next cabin eating smoked marlin (theirs) and smoked YFT (ours) we retire to our bunks a little worse for wear. Early start the next morning to go fishing so my alarm goes off and I roll over in the double bed (I won the short straw contest) so I could abuse my two mates on the bunks into being awake. Guy in top bunk wakes first and tries to sit up. A biggish guy. Next thing the wooden slat base of his top bunk gives way and his ar$e full of splinters is in the face of my other mate in the bottom bunk. He literally had a couple of splinters that had somehow got past the small mattress and caught him in the upper leg/lower ar$e area. One splinter in particular was in an awkward spot as he had twisted sideways as the bed collapsed and 'exposed a vulnerable area'. Mate in bottom bunk wakes with a shock and head butts the other guys ar$e as he tries to get out of bed thinking the world was ending or whatever. I am laughing in hysterics by this stage which isn't helping much.

We finally get it all sorted and some sticking plasters over the not too bad wounds. Mostly self administered though due to the sensitive location involved. Then I look around at the devastation. Bed in splinters, blood on one side of the mattress. Plenty of empty beer bottles lying around. Half eaten plates of smoked fish on the bench. Looked like there had been a hell party when all we did was have a few quiets with the guys next door.

Mate is still not quite sure that all the splinter wood is out, but hospital is a long way away and no one was too keen to do detailed exploring in that area. We aren't going fishing until he is a bit better sorted. Figure we better find out from the camp ground owner if there was medical help nearby. Hmmmm - I think we better do a little tidying before we explain what happened to the camp ground man. 

Do a quick tidy of everything bar the broken bed and I go get the camp owner. He comes into the room and looks at the bed with a really funny expression on his face. One of those 'what the hell did they do' expressions. Fortunately I had stayed there several years in a row and the guy knew that we were pretty good guests who for a bunch of young guys never caused any issues or got rowdy etc. Eventually I think he almost believed us.

Anyway, he told us that there was a doctor staying in the camp who was a regular guest and went to see if he would help. Was an old retired guy who we had seen around the camp and chatted to for the past few years, and after almost falling off his chair laughing agreed to come and have a look. Turned out that my mate was fine and he just dressed the wounds a little better after doing the inspection that none of us had been keen on. Then we went fishing.

Went and saw the doctor later that evening with some freshly smoked YFT and a case of beer. He was a hard case fella and it was another memorable evening. The good sod camp owner fixed the bunk for us while we were out fishing, but we put my big mate in the double bed and I took the bunk just to be safe.

The next, and last, year we went there got a lot more serious, but not really self inflicted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 7:26pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Preparing for a fishing trip, my fillet knife fell out of its sheath, bounced handle first off the garage floor and poked me in the leg.
Amazing amount of blood for a small hole. Looked like a crime scene Shocked

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 10:51am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

@Wide Load

Far out mate - you've won the internet for the dayShocked
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 10:58am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In my work at a hospital, I see:

- Fish bones stuck in throat
- Snapper spike injuries that become infected
- Filleting knife vs. hand
- Propeller vs. leg
- Stingray barb injuries (not often)
- Injuries from falling off rocks

I love having a chat with these patients and sharing a few fishing stories, but try not to let it be you, stay safe out there! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 1:14pm
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Speaking of stingray injuries, here's one I managed to acquire a few years back & I definitely would not recommend it to anyone else.
Page  <123>