Self inflicted stupidity

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Self inflicted stupidity
    Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 6:48pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ever had one of those injuries when fishing and instantly thought to yourself, "you idiot".
One that comes to mind was a few years ago. I had a pannie snapper on the bait board and was about to lead him towards the light with the aid of a pointed knife. The fish was secured with my left hand. As I approached with the knife, he gave a flick of the tail and was about to go over the side. I instinctively grabbed with both hands. The knife edge ran across my left hand just above the first knuckle.
The fish in question was dispatched shortly after and so was the other two on the other rods. By the time the kaos was over, blood was everywhere, none of which was from the fish.
Surely I'm not the only one with a case of self inflicted stupidity?
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hmmmm which story do you want to hear about? 

A SWF in the back of the head? A nasty cut from bleeding a lively ky? Line burns from leadering a mako without gloves? Two million spikes to the hand from snapper? Raked fingers from hand feeding eels? An excruciating tweak to the knee jumping off a boat when docking? An iki spike into your hand trying to kill a medium sized gurnard?  The list goes on...

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:14pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Hmmmm which story do you want to hear about? 

A SWF in the back of the head? A nasty cut from bleeding a lively ky? Line burns from leadering a mako without gloves? Two million spikes to the hand from snapper? Raked fingers from hand feeding eels? An excruciating tweak to the knee jumping off a boat when docking? An iki spike into your hand trying to kill a medium sized gurnard?  The list goes on...

Well that was predictable
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:18pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Years back a mate and I were trolling wide of Whangaroa. We had some big gear out and a couple of light rigs for skippies. My mates light rig (10kg mono on a Speedmaster) went off and after an impressive first run he fought the fish back to the boat pretty quickly. I took a couple of wraps, reached over the side to leader this 'Skippy', and found my myself face to face with a ~35kg Yellowfin Tuna. First thought was "how did you get here so quick"? Second thought was "GRAB THE GAFF" yelled at my mate. Third thought was "should have put the leadering gloves on". 
Mate sticks my favourite gaff into the tunas tail, and pulls the tail up just far enough that this very green YFT bullet was now aiming straight down. Bullet goes bang, YFT rips my favourite gaff out of mates hand, my leadering hand goes smack into the gunnel, and a 120lb leader goes pop as I watch my gaff swim away. I then 'peeled' the remaining leader out of my hand where I could see the bones of one of my fingers at the bottom of the cut. Second day of a 2 week fishing trip and I spent the rest of it fighting to keep infection out of my mangled hand. It was the only YFT we saw all trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:22pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jesus tagit,that must have hurt,losing that fish.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 8:15pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We had caught a nice striped marlin in the NZSFC Nationals, fish was pretty lively at the boat as we intended to tag & release. Fish was tagged, photo's taken and hooks removed. I noticed a fair bit of blood on the duckboard and commented the fish must have been deeply hooked. Then I noticed the same trail of blood inside the cockpit, saloon and leading up the stairs to the flybridge. The fish had swum forward and stuck it's bill straight through the calf of the deckhand! A quick trip to A&E and we were back fishing the next day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 8:38pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have to write this one on my mates behalf. 
Another trip in my 6m tinny out of Whangaroa years back. My mate of the YFT tale was there and another mate had come to join us for a few days. Mate 2 (Mark) was desperate to catch himself a Kingi. Never caught one before. I know some pretty good spots around the Cavallis for Kingis so we go and sit on one of them. 
Mark has a Penn Seaboy (remember those) on a stump puller rod that he spooled up with 40lb line to make it a Kingi killing rig. Not much 40lb on a Seaboy but thats Ok he can just slam the drag to full. 
Mate 1 and I are getting a few Snaps while Mark has a butterflied bait down for a Kingi. Eventually he gets a bite and is in to his first Kingi. The Seaboy doesn't like it very much and he is struggling to get much line  back but the fish is still there. Get bored watching him fight this fish on the clumsy gear so go back to catching Snapper and tell him to let me know when he needs the gaff. 
The fight goes on and on and on. I can't believe that this Kingi hasn't either wasted him yet or been brought to the boat. Turn around to check out the fight and see a big bend in Marks rod. Damn fish is still there. Not really fighting much though?? I watch a bit longer and see him gaining and losing line. Doesn't look right though. Watch some more and realise that he has been reefed and is just pulling the boat back and forwards against the wind and current. 
Tell Mark he has been reefed and he says "no it's still fighting". OK I say. Let me know when you need the gaff. Mate 1 is in hysterics by now as he has realised I am right and Mark has spent the last 15 minutes playing a rock. Mark is still convinced the back and forwards is a live fish so puts the death drag on the Seaboy. 6'4" of big Mark swings on that Seaboy handle until suddenly screws start popping out of the side of it. He is trying to pick them up off the floor and put them back in whilst 'not losing the fish'. Eventually the Seaboy gives up in a burst of loose screws and bird nested nylon. At this point Mark realises that the fish isn't trying to get away anymore. In fact he has just destroyed his favourite reel playing a rock. He was so distraught that it took at least another day before I felt it was humane to give him a hard time about it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 8:39pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It wasn't a big injury, but it's quite embarrassing to have to ask another fisherman on the boat if he can remove your saltwater fly from where it's stuck in your back so you can cast it again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:18pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Busted his reel fighting a rock bahaha

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 9:53pm
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Playing with new reel- standing on transom
Of boat in driveway- mate holding scales on ground below... winding up the drag to see what it’ll pull....... enevitable outcome
Boat Name- Solace
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:05pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fizz...that is classic but we need to know what KG line was it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:11pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fizz Fizz wrote:

Playing with new reel- standing on transom
Of boat in driveway- mate holding scales on ground below... winding up the drag to see what it’ll pull....... enevitable outcome

That’s awesome 😂
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:14pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I got the tip of my tongue caught in the loop of a knot I was lubricating and pulling tight once..... won’t do that again
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:21pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Fizz
1Daz, I hope no one was watching
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:23pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Every time I fillet a bloody gurnard. I'm like Homer Simpson, don't get spiked, don't get spiked, don't get spiked, DOH!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 10:33pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

mate tried to slow down a skippy on a levelwind by thumbing it. Wrong side of frame, levelwind jammed thumb to spool, he started howling, shot out of cabin to see what problem was, went back to cabin got other mate to witness it, had a laugh, cranked up drag, turned the handle. Result - Released the thumb and kept the skippy !!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 6:23am
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Daiwa boat braid pe5!
Boat Name- Solace
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 7:37am
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 8:57am
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fishing out at the barrier for 3 days . My mate caught a nice 14 lb snapper and held it around the head,of cause it didnt like and kicked thus the hook went into his hand and with the weight landed on the floor with his hand following . Whilst down on  the carpet the angler moaning ,the fish went off again . ouuuch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 10:04am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive described this before, but it seems appropriate for "self inflicted stupidity". I am embarrassed about it.
When towing the trailer, with over-ride brakes. To avoid hitting a post, had to back up - forgot to get out and turn the brakes off. Backing, seemed strangely hard, so revved it, in 4WD.
Result, bent the brake discs and the lugs on the axle, so had to replace everything including axle. Cost to have done by Voyager $1600. Ouch!
For less than $200 can get a electric switch that automatically turns off brakes when reversing. 
Page  123>