WTB 150-200HP four Stroke

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB 150-200HP four Stroke
    Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 8:33am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Try Bensemann marine in Avondale he usually has used Yamaha’s in the 150-200 hp range .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 6:52am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No , only seen them . I take it your not impressed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 8:56am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big.. no huge difference, in hull performance between a 150 200 hp espec when get in chop.. eg a trip back from the barrier or outside the harbour shelter.
Enough that if put a 150 on and then get the opportunity to ride in a well powered one with a 200 later, you will regret it.. be rather disappointed.
 Also it travel/ cruise at the same speed on both the bigger engine will be a good 10% more economic.
 less rpms per distance, and less throttle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:43am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I previously had a 200 four stroke Yamaha , i think it was about 2006? that had had the exhaust section rebuilt before I bought it so I got what I think was a good deal . It'd done about 700hrs and I ran it for another 100 or so and it went great . 
Things to look for would be the dreaded exhaust corrosion on certain years .
 I'd be interested in what you could see if you had the thermostat(s) removed as I'd think the motors probably  sat in the water most of the time .
 Skegs get damaged easily in the islands .
But I think if you picked a good one they're easy to work on yourself ie servicing and fairly simple really . The hours really wouldn't bother me I'd get the latest model possible .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:46am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

with a 150hp that use it out the Manukau and Port Waikato bars with no shortage of power when needed

have a nice day on the waikato bar.. 1m swell dont check the period.
 looks good.. the you hit the 42 set, that so called freak wave.. big period so a good distance to go... need huge acceleration and power to climb, get to it and go over just after starts to break.
 Thats in a 5.5 m rayglass well powered with 140 hp...

boat behind we where just about to turn to pick up survivors.. a 7.5m.. it saw the wave in front of them, had to cross in front...If it was min powered it was a goner it it was going straight over or craoos to smaller part of the wave...It was very well powered , the acceleration ansd speed crossed nice.
 All this on a 'flat' bar.
 yes people cross bars in min powered all the time...
chatted to a marine accident investigator while back.. about bar 'accidents ' and how well powered.. yes he confirmed most bar accidents are because combo of swell high height (small) and large periods not counting sets  and min power.
 We have a 150 on the back of a 5.5 m boat.. bit over powered, very similar weight to the rayglass/ 140hp.
 used to have a 115hp  the difference once hit chop/ wakes, etc having that reserve power to climb and not fall off plain, have to work throttle is chalk and cheese.
 Also having not to work the throttle, respc when out beyond the bars makes a huge difference to the fuel bill...huge difference.

go for the 200/ 225 forget the 150, thats ok for a lake boat or a sales person selling a boat as big as the customer can afford and compromise on the power at the prop.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 10:07am
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I dont have alot to add butI have a 635 Billfisher with a Suzuki DF200 (6 cylinder) I wouldnt be too keen on a 150 on the same hull!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 10:49am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What is your top speed. flat water , best trim normal load.. ppl gear etc full tank on the water?
 Billfisher is a little heavier than the std cuddly 635 right?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 12:58pm
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

42-43kt Top speed in ideal conditions with the DF200 from memory, I typically cruise at approx 26kt @ 29lph burn. I think the billfisher would be the same or very slightly less weight than the 635 Excess, it would be close.

Maybe start a thread Moots and we can discuss Billfishers instead of yarning in your wanted post haha.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 4:52pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

By coincidece in a workshop today, one of the partners also has the same basic billfisher
 and yep with 200 96 yammy and with near the same speed, without the diving bottles etc.
19 pitch prop approx 1 L per nm ave ..
 And those numbers work out to around  1850 kg gross weight on the water.
 He recons his boat is heavier than that (over 2T) because put over a weighbridge,, assuming the weighbridge has a fresh calibration...and his estimation of trailer etc is correct..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 4:49pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I may be interested in selling my Mercury 200 verado.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 4:39pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's a 2007.
Has 900 ish hours still at least 4000 hours to go.
Immaculate as it can be, ss popped and compression on all cylinders is still as new.
I would sell with the smart craft gauges as well. There by fly wire.
I've been considering a 250-300 to maybe improve my fuel consumption.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captn Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 5:28pm
Captn Phil View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a 2016 BF 250 Honda for sale if you're interested.
1300hrs majority at idle revs, new remotes, digital guage etc, 20K firm
Taking sportfishing charters to the next level.
Blue Water Adventures Ltd
Whangaroa / Bay of Islands
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White Rabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 5:12pm
White Rabbit View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi moots did you decide on what motor to put on your billfisher 2008? I've got the same issue, in that the yam 150 is just a bit under powered, especially in chop with a reasonable swell. Fine when it is flat. run it at 4000 rpm and get 25l/hr and it sits at 22knots with 200l fuel and 2ppl on board, but hit chop with some swell and it drops to 16-17 knots, so have to work the throttle a lot. prop is 17-m
Not sure what the boat weighs but someone must know as it is stock standard. Would like to set the throttle at 3600-3800rpm and sit at 22knots and punch through most chop and some swell with out working the throttle and l/hr to be 25-26. so when I do get caught in a good swell coming back into Tauranga i know I have plenty in reserve to stay on the back of a wave
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White Rabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 11:36pm
Bronze
Bronze

The weight was my concern in changing. As it seems the Yamaha 200hdpi is the ideal weight to power ratio for them. These weigh in at 215kg. Up until now the F200 v6 weighs in at 265kg, but the new F200 4 cylinder weighs in at 221kg so should be spot on, so you don't sit down in the ass end to much. Not sure how many secondhand ones are around at the moment as I can't afford new!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Gappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 7:27pm
Gappy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have fitted a couple of older 635s out lately with 200hp DF200 Suzuki V6s weights no issue and they go really well pretty economical and pretty well priced also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote robert20106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 8:20am
robert20106 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Moots,
You still looking for a motor,
Have a 200hp Suzuki that I am looking to sell,
2009 with approx. 1200hrs,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 12:35pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There a nice 200hp Yamaha four stroke only 360 hrs? Or so... on trademe
I have a yamana 200hp HPDi and it’s pretty good, would recommend to anyone, starts first pop and runs like a dream.. good fuel economy too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White Rabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 11:07pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Gappy, what size props are you using on the DF200 repowers on the 635?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 8:27am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

2 boats same boat same motor can have different  ideal props.
 Very much depends on weight carried.. number ppl, dive gear etc
And or end use.. for days of trolling, or just general fishing/ use, or towing.

Before even considering what prop.. engine MUST BE correct height at cruise speed.. too low.. 1/2" is like carrying an extra 2 or 3 ppl on board. Too high ventilation issues.. like driving a car with a slipping clutch.
 Then its a sorting out the amount slip at WoT and Cruise..That changes with weight... number blades , diameter, cupping.. depending on end use prop rake.
And from there one sorts out pitch.
Good data .. speed to rpms on flat water at best trim FULL NORMAL load...3500 thru to WoT approx 500 rpm increments with a prop that  has WoT somewhere in the manufactures max rpm band.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 8:21pm
Gappy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Running 16 x 18 1/2 3 blade stainless on a DF200 V6.

Seems to work very well nice engine height setting and good economy and ride. 

Its a good starting point don't let Steps railroad the topic. 

Cheers
Page  123>