WTB 150-200HP four Stroke

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 9:58am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its a good starting point don't let Steps railroad the topic. 

Funny how your 200 hp matches spot on with the numbers in previous posts.. its called  'on the same page'
And how assume suggesting "16 x 18 1/2 3 blade stainless" would not also be... "16 x 18 1/2 3 blade stainless " 
 The thing is most ppl dont have a shelf of props to go thru the hit in miss process, or the availability of time on the water to do so.
 So yes that prop (again on the same page) would be a damn good starting point.. in the ball park for a gross weight on the water (gear ppl, everything) boat  around the 1950/2000kg mark, 2.29:1 ratio gear box 200hp.

"starting point" means, as I posted before , having a prop that at WoT is in the manufactures rpm range (5500 to 6100)
 Then pull the data.
 As boats when fitted, are not fully loaded, shops aim for the top of the WoT rpm range , and when fully loaded the WoT rpm drops down into the range. 
Where depends on each individual boat and how much it normally carries, right?
 So no doubt on testing you established the best cruise speed at best trim, and the WoT speed and rpms?

Information mcbaot NEEDS to move from "starting point " to choosing a prop better than "Seems to work very well.."

Now assuming the boat was laden, propped to manufactures recommended unladen spec (top of the rpm range 6000/ 6100 rpms) Then fullt laden at approx 1950kg that prop it would have a WoT speed around the 37/38 kn  
That will give a slip around 2%...Thats bit too low, loading the powerhead up thru the range.
Therefore going from "starting point" on that basis without any actual data ... a smaller diameter prop to increase the slip to around 5/ 8% WoT and max rpms around 5700/5800, 1950 kg gross weight, would likely to also be able to increase the pitch a little to 19 possible 20" max.
 This would then increase estimated 18.5 pitch cruise speed at estimated 4000 rpm 12% slip to 15/16% slip 2 or 3 kn.
 Also of note is larger props are far more susceptible to cavitation (different to ventilation due to high engine mounting or wide rake of a prop) due to the high blade tip speeds... even thu the suzuki engines are designed to be able to carry them better.
 On the basis of the little data information supplied for mcboat to move from "starting point"  something around the 19/ 19.5 " pitch and around 15/ 15 1/2" diameter with similar cupping would be a step further..
 Subject to data on the 18.5" 18" prop.

So if have the cruise rpms and speed at best trim?
And WoT rpms and speed at best trim?
 If boat was fully loaded when tested?
 Latter 2 would also establish total gross weight of the boat rather than an gesstimate of 1950kg
 Such real data would be very helpful to mcboat to move from your "starting point.."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White Rabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 6:17pm
White Rabbit View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What I am trying to do is to determine if I need to change my prop on a replacement outboard. Currently have a billfisher 2008 with a F150 running a 17-M prop. I am changing the motor out to a Honda BF225a(secondhand) which has a 17" x 14 1/4 prop. I think I will have to put it in the water with the 17" x 4 1/4 and do some tests and get some data and then post it up and see what I should use. I think I will be replacing it with a 19" x ? as raging bull ran a 17 x 4 1/4 on his 237 billfisher which is a lot heavy and longer boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 6:35pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What I am trying to do is to determine if I need to change my prop on a replacement outboard.

Yes if that motor has a different gear box ratio and/or you have a change of HP at the prop..

Currently have a billfisher 2008 with a F150 running a 17-M prop.
 I am changing the motor out to a Honda BF225a(secondhand) which has a 17" x 14 1/4 prop.
If that is currently propped correctly on the 150 then you will go up in pitch with a likely  change in diameter.. most likely up to a 19 or 20" pitch..being that well powered.
 You will most likely see a drop of several 100 rpms at the cruise speed of the 150...with a good 10 to 20% better.. or significant increase in cruise speed, and still significant  better economy based on km/L And huge change in chop hull performance..HUGE

I think I will have to put it in the water with the 17" x 4 1/4 and do some tests and get some data and then post it up and see what I should use.
 Yes...no piont in spending money on a prop at this point, thu if manage to borrow one around a 19" 20" pitch , all good.

I think I will be replacing it with a 19" x ? as raging bull ran a 17 x 4 1/4 on his 237 billfisher which is a lot heavy and longer boat

Weight is the determining factor with trailerable boats with in reason (the limitation of beam on roads) length is more displacement hulls.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 8:18pm
Gappy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The Suzukis run bigger props due to the offset drive shaft which gives a different gearbox ratio typically we swing one size bigger than other brands for the same hp
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White Rabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 8:45pm
White Rabbit View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Gappy out of curiosity with the Suzuki having a offset motor so more weight over the transom instead of hanging off behind the transom what is the weight difference in that a non offset motor say weighs 265kg and the Suzuki Df200 weighs 265kg but weigh hanging over the back of the transom will be less by how much?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 6:17pm
Gappy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mcboat real good question.

You would think it was much just looking at it but when you take the cowling off the block is quite a way forward inside.

I am picking you probably have about 40kgs more of that weight on top or inside the transom. The block is about half the weight of the whole outboard.

Did you already have an engine as have a DF225 new that can do at quite a good price.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 8:50am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When get up around the 5m plus, the extra weight of motors is a marketing propanda excersise, rater than information on cost of shipping.
The difference is no more than say a person standing at the stern, or a full live bait tank, be it inside the boat or on the pod along with a large bin full of fish and ice.
 And get to a 6m have the heavier engine plus ALL of the above.. may sit low an inch at anchor, get on the plane goes fine.
 If do have an issue, boat min or above powered , and bow doesn't come down well.. a prop with more rake will lever it down (stern higer) ideally a smaller diameter 4 blade with more rake.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slapper 61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 12:20pm
Slapper 61 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

FYI, I just brought a buccaneer 720 hard top and fitted a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke which is the late model 4.2l version.   Been having a bit of a mission finding right prop.    Mechanic specified a 19M which is 13 3/4 x 19 (black stainless).   Could only get 5400rpm at WOT and medium load. 42 knots.

Tried a 17M. Same dia but reduced pitch. Topped out at nearly 6000rpm at 39 knots but had a slow cruise so wasn’t happy with that either.

Found another cheap 19M and have had it repitched down by one inch and hopefully that will be right. Haven’t tested it yet.

Interesting thing is the 19M’s turn out to actually measure 18”. Had to check both props to make sure one hadn’t already been repitched.   Must assume the 17m is only about 16 then as I have 500-600 rpm diff between 2” pitch. So my repitched (“technically” 18”) is actually pitched at 17”. Good accuracy there from Yamaha.

These seem like relatively small props compared to what you are talking about so must be some difference in the gear ratios.

Motor seems a real nice fit for the boat though even with 30” shaft. Had the transom lifted and you don’t notice size or weight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 12:30pm
Grasshoppa View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

If do have an issue, boat min or above powered , and bow doesn't come down well.. a prop with more rake will lever it down (stern higer) ideally a smaller diameter 4 blade with more rake.

or for under $200 a permatrim will do it just nicelyLOLLOLLOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 5:37pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Slapper 61

These seem like relatively small props compared to what you are talking about so must be some difference in the gear ratios.
 And there you nail it.
 I keep on saying  "sort the slip (grip) out 1st.." the classic mistake I made when 1st started out on this and Tagit put me on the right track.. then everything fell int place..
Think about it.. would you put skinny modal A tyres on a ferri or heavy truck?  and expect to have enough grip on the road?
Your issue will be grip.. and changing pitches having huge slippage in the water will not achieve what you want
 A general use boat will run , ball park a 14 1/4" 3 blade prop. 
 What do you estimate your gross weight on the water would be?
 Going from the very basic (at best ball park ) data above
 720 buccaneer HD
250 hp
 gear ratio of 2.0:1 (please confirm that for me please?)
 WoT range 5000 to 6000 (target to prop to at fullly laden weight for your boat 5400/ 5500 )
40kn  ( I do suspect this to be 40 mph , not 40 kn and working on mph)
 calculates out to around 2700/ 2800kg TOTAL gross weight, which would be ball park for boat of that size.
With a gear box ratio of of 2:1 (to be confirmed) that works out to a required pitch of 17 to 17.5" with a slip on flat water at best trim for THAT speed 8 to 10%.

with the 19x 13 3/4 @ 5400 40 mph you have a slip of 18/19%  at WoT .. that the high side of what you should have at a 4000 rpm cruise speed.!!!

the 17 x 13 3/4  19/20%
if 39kns 

I would suggest around a 3 blade 14 3/4" 17" pitch prop good cupping .. keeping in mind the suspect data.. or a 4 blade 13 3/4  17" pitch   These would give a cruise around the 28/ 30 mph at approx 3900/4000 rpms

I suspect that your kn to be mph, assuming the data is ball park correct the boat gross weight calculates out to approx 2000kg which is only slightly heavier than a 635 buccaneer fully loaded... or the motor is incorrect height or data way wrong, not flat water  best trim for that speed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slapper 61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 5:52pm
Slapper 61 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I think the boat would be more like 1900-2000kg. It’s about 2400-2500 on the trailer and the speed is knots not mph on the GPS.

Found something online saying gear ratio is 1.75:1. Seems like it’s the same engine.

Would those numbers make much difference?

My 19p did 5400rpm at 42 knots. Good cruise speed too but it seemed like engine was working and boat wasn’t fully loaded. Had advice that this prop might overload the engine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 5:54pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

GH..
 Im occasional critised for my, " hero" long posts.. by those who I suspect are not interested in the how and whys, and they dont read them..
 Im also criticised for not making a sticky for people to read ( but never will bother to before posting their stuff. 
 So Im not going to go into the how whys of permatrims on boats min and above powered other than to say..

Tell me what manufacture for ANY model recommends or puts permatrim holes in a cavitation plate?

Tell me any manufacturer for any model will carry a warranty on any motor that has had a permatrim or similar fitted?

Tell me what manufacture for any model make a aftermarket permatrim to fit to their motors

Tell me any retailer that would recommend fitting a permatrim to a new or engine that is under a wantantee?

A permatrim will lift the stern for a under powered boat, while at the same time making it even more under powered by more drag... even then in most case except extreme CORRECT propping will sort the problem.. as per manufactures recommendations. 

If the above or the reasons given in many of my posts over the yrs are incorrect please state what and where and WHY.
 I do wound if O lost your attention , or you have got this far down this post. ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 6:38pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the boat would be more like 1900-2000kg. It’s about 2400-2500 on the trailer and the speed is knots not mph on the GPS. 

OK the 1900/2000kg that net weight or fully loaded...
Something that I have noticed building my  data base up is a coincidence(??) on boats from around 4m to 6m the tow weight is strangely close to gross weights...
 I dont have enough 6.5m and above trailer boats to say it is still so that big a boat... 

Found something online saying gear ratio is 1.75:1. Seems like it’s the same engine.
Would those numbers make much difference?

Hell yeah

My 19p did 5400rpm at 42 knots. Good cruise speed too but it seemed like engine was working and boat wasn’t fully loaded.
You have pitch too high the engine works harder, slips tend to increase a little, less reserve power so get in seas hull performance drops off, but get better economy on flat water, choppy economy can 2x very easy...

Had advice that this prop might overload the engine.

... and the power head is loaded up all the time
Damn good advice....

Dinner not ready yet, so lets crunch some numbers on a 1.75: gearbox  
Lets split the weight diff between 1900 and my 2700kg say 2200kg ok?
 And WoT ave of 40kns ..
Still a 17" to 17.5" pitch at a WoT  slip of 8 to 10% at approx 5300 to 5400 fully loaded.

Hmm not that much difference lol
 one factor goes up the other goes down, the hull constant goes up and ball park prop above stays the same. 

your 13 3/4 17"  prop slip at 40kn  6000 rpm has a 13% slip.. which way too high 
 And the 19" at 5400 at 39 kn 12% still too high

So still shows too much slip.. need more diameter, not as much as I suggest above  14 1/2 , maybe a 14 3/4.. if got a choice of 2 props the 14 1/2 17 inch pitch...

Dinner is being dished up...

Dont get into re setting props.. unless have deep pockets and a lot spare time..
 There are a lot good props on trade me.. most ppl asking way too much, around $150 for a good stainless.

or pick up a alloy...yep these tend to flex a little under loads.. be it a big boat or little boat going very fast.. but at cruise speed that flex is very little .. If I saw a alloy going for $50/75  14 1/2 to 14 3/4  17/ 18 pitch .. even a 19 maybe if no 16s.. I would try it .. it would be close to whats need..
 the data off it would be ok to use for a final SS one.. and untill one comes up in the next yr or so cheap on trade me..
It will be far better than what you have now.

And when find the right one will be idea as spare prop to be stowed away with 2 spaces 2 nuts 2 washer.
 Why 2?.. if you have ever changed a prop in a bit of chop hanging off the end of a pod or duck board.. murphy will have u drop one.. murphy is your best friend listen to him Thumbs Up

Got some jonny/ evinrudes 13 and 15 spline on my shelf but will not fit a yammy Wink

Edit: with a prop that at WoT has the motor in the max rpm range, on flat water , engine height correct, best trim for that speed.. accurate speed, known hp at the prop, the weight of a planing hull boat can be calculated surprisingly accurate..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 8:35am
Gold
Gold

i may be a simple man that doesn't use a calculator to set up boats but surely in the absence of an available prop to test,  under $200 for a Permatrim vs $1000 - $1500for a quality, new stainless steel V6 prop that usually deliver same results seems a pretty simple choice?  Even to just try?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 8:59am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

under $200 for a Permatrim vs $1000 - $1500for a quality, new stainless steel V6 prop that usually deliver same results seems a pretty simple choice?  Even to just try?

Considering the questions I gave you above..
is it?
Considering the dollar numkber on trade me is it?
Considering that just the drag alone will chew up the capital cost of a prop quickly is it? 
And considering that there are some of us who have a basis in physics chemistry maths rather than craftsmans expertise in non calculator type stuff are quite prepared to step up...no different from say a plumber  m8 or a paver guy helping me out..
 Goes 2 ways m8
 And Has nothing to do with anyone being "simple" more having respect for each direction of talents.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 9:38am
Gold
Gold

Wow, all i was doing was suggesting that there was an alternative to "The Steps way" but apparently this is not possible?

I've made my living in the marine industry for 27yrs, my comments are based on solid experience.  I'm not sure how this stacks up to theoretical formula's from chemistry but people pay me for my experience and skills.  I must fumble my way thru life ok as all my work is by referral and repeat business

To think that any drag generated by something that improves hull efficiency offsets any benefits is absolutely absurd

I used to be of the opinion a Permatrim was only a bandaid for a not optimally setup rig but like i say, plenty of people decide they are a more affordable way of achieving an improvement. Experience has shown some setups respond better to this than others, and very few show no improvement, pontoon boats will always perform better with a permatrim than any prop 
Put it this way, of the many hundreds i have installed, no ones asked me to remove after installing while they own boat, and most request one installed when changing rigs or upgrading motor (unless i see no benefit and advise not too)

FYI i dont have a permatrim on my personal boat, i dont find them particularly aesthetically pleasing and being in the game i've had the opportunity to try different prop combinations without forking out for expensive trial and error

Apologies to all following this post that this is getting a wee bit side tracked bit but hopefully some realize there's options out there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 3:25pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow, all i was doing was suggesting that there was an alternative to "The Steps way" but apparently this is not possible?

" Steps way"
Really? Serious?
No..
 It is the way people that are far more competent, educated and experience have researched , studied, and created formulas over the  last century or so that motor manufacturers and hull designers marine architects have been using and accepted as professional practice.
 The ONLY thing I have done is studied what they have done, why, how and why their formulas and maths work.. even questioned some of it ie as to why square roots rather than cube roots used.. how and why hull constas have change due the beam of modern trailer planing hull.
 Then put it all together with a hell of a lot of help from some very experienced and educated people .. in NZ, Aussie, europe and the USA..
I have then taked this stuff, and played experiments on a lot of boats over the last few years building up a data base.

And this is all basic stuff any competent professional will be knowledgeable in simply by reading manufacturers manuals and understanding the basics by people like crouch. Keith and Gerr. 

Seat of the pants powering , design , proping went out before the 1930s

As a profession I asked some questions above.
 Non of which you have answered.
And I repeat a permatrim is a patch fix for an issue of supplying a motor to a hull that is under powered for the end use 
 To do so on a hull min and above powered is in contravention of ALL motor manufacturers, nulling all warranties, and against all basics of powering and propping principle.
 To do so , and get paid for it, is NOT professional 
PERIOD.
 It is no different than calling a hammer man a competent professional builder..

I state again
What I do IS NOT "STEPS WAY"
 it is the way truly professional an competent people trained by professionals do it..
EG our Franchised boat shops.

yes there are "options out there"
 Patch it .. or do it the correct way.. according to world wide professional methods and stds.

If Im wrong in my calculations, methods or you think my explanations are incorrect .. 
Im open to listen and discuss
Something that you have yets, as per my questions have failed to do so.

PS it is because of attitudes posted like this  I get to 4 ppl contacting  me each month, and I spend anything from a couple weeks to several months going over data, explaining what is happening 
 PRIVATELY.. and that only those from this web site.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 3:39pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

One thing I’d say from my experience buying used motors any one with a permatrim etc fitted I instantly dismiss . Mainly because I’ve never needed one to do what the motors meant to do .
So I would suggest fitting a permatrim will reduce the value of your motor if you eventually sell it .
Just a thought on the subject .
I think Steps is a great asset although not neccasssarily correct on everything.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 6:22pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think Steps is a great asset although not neccasssarily correct on everything.

Yep I have been pulled up a few more time than would personally wish... but 6 times out of 10 being with good strong arguments and reasons why.. the other 4 is cause I have not read the post correctly.
 When ppl pull me up with good reasoning and knowledge.. thats good.. its all part of a healthy learning curve... always learning...even when one has a gold cardWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 9:07am
Gold
Gold

As i mentioned, not all setups respond favourably to a Permatrim, that i agree are bit of a bandaid, but not all setups perform to potential with merely standard factory prop/engine height changes, regardless of what you may have read.  

If something improves holeshot, enables hull to plane at a lower speed,  increases ride stability while underway, and lower fuel consumption then i (and many people) consider that an improvement, regardless what anyone says.  If that improvement is achieved at a $$$ saving, most people consider that a great improvement, you refer to it as "seat of pants", most call it irrefutable proof.  Put that into a formula/calculation any way you please

Mathematical modelling has its place as a starting baseline but actual performance doesn't lie.  The first flaw with this is how many people actually put their rig across a weigh bridge?

My argument is not strictly pro permatrim but that there are options

I repeat, a permatrim is not the solution for all case's and yes ideally satisfactory results will be meet with standard factory propping/engine height adjustment but they are an affordable, viable option in many instances, despite being bit of an eyesore

You seem pretty hung up on your earlier questions

Iv'e worked for 3 franchised dealerships, had industry standard recognized training from 4 major marine manufactures and handled warranty work/claims for all.  Amongst other work I still occasionally travel to carry out installs on contract in locations where there is not a dealer presence and boats cannot be transported.  Cant say i've come across anyone called crouch Keith or Gerr but while we're name dropping do Yamaha, Mercury, Suzuki and OMC/Bombardier ring a bell? (yeah yeah i know😅😅)

I've never seen any failure as a result of any correctly fitted accessory, including permatrim, therefore i have never seen a warranty claim denied as a result.  And yes i have seen warranty claims on components unrelated to installed permatrim accepted.  To suggest no warranty of any kind on any product due to an accessory fitted is scare mongering, ECU fails? "Sorry no warranty cos you've got an attachment on your gearbox"?  That's laughable.  Cavition plate breaks, well that'd be different but be more about incorrect install i expect

No manufacturer in any industry like accessories being fitted to their product , it implies a shortcoming in their product.  No accessory improves all aspects of a products use, if it did, manufacturer would buy rights/company and make that accessory a standard feature.  It doesn't mean that accessory has no use

I only have one question for you

Tell me what dealerships/brands you've worked for to obtain your obvious extended knowledge?

Or is it a hobby?

Thats all i've got to contribute and wont be posting again on this, apologies to others its become bit of a pi$$ing match

Ps, your not a University lecturer by any chance?

Page  <123>