Our healthiest high Omega 3 fish?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our healthiest high Omega 3 fish?
    Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 5:58pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So I was looking into this and I assumed it was sardines, apparantely not, atlantic mackeral smack them round like a cold mullet.

I know there is controversy over our farm fished salmon with omega numbers not being what it use to be.

Mussels were just below sardines so thats choice as I like a scoff but I think you can over do anything.

Unfortunately Id say our healthiest shop bought fish is one of the most unsustainabe, YFT.

It does make me wonder if the our great little yellow eyed mullet and piper have been studied for their oil content, because they are certainly yummier than tinned sardines.

Given my health recently I tend to look to seafood as a medicine (well all food now), but unlike a raw green juice some fresh YEMs scaled and butterflied are yum. Bring back the throwing net lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ghetty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 10:16am
ghetty View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Interesting little topic. I'd be interested to hear what you find. I use a throw net to harvest bait. And when I get some of the bigger models we often eat them. nice little fish but I find them to be a bit of hard work cleaning up, due to their size. Also mackerel are another little oily fish that I enjoy, can be quite nice if dealt with delicately
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 10:34am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The experts would say Salmon but is it really after they are fed a cocktail of antibiotics??
I would go with a oily fish,but same as "FizFisho" little recent health scare .I turned too steamed mussels so they just open and no more and eat whole,brought some gurnard fillets Saturday and cooked for 1.30 minutes in mircrowave turned over for another 1.30 and were still nice and moist,no added salt/pepper.

Would of thought the best source might be the old traditional "lemon fish"that takeaways use to use before hoki but I think the mercury scare may put people off.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:15pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I thought sardines and pilchards are the same fish?
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:47pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

I thought sardines and pilchards are the same fish?

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:09pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I recently canned some jack mac's we caught in the Kerikeri inlet, pretty fiddly to do but very tasty, bit o tomato sauce, yum.

Cheers

The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:30pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 5:30pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-44845879

MB bad link mate...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 6:34pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 6:37pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Doesnt it vary as to season?
Was told many yrs ago mullet (not on list above) was one of the highest omega fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 9:51am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The issue with Omega 3 is your body can't metabolise it properly without omega 6 at the same time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 11:16am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The issue with Omega 3 is your body can't metabolise it properly without omega 6 at the same time.
 Oh so true.. we cant absorb iron without vit C or calcium without , phosphorus  or potassium.
 Same in the veggie garden..plants need combinations to produce or even grow well
 There is a name for this
"Balanced diet"

So Why is a balanced healthy intake of food called a diet?
 Surely a diet is a special intake of nutrients to address a condition?
 Often a result of consuming a crap 'diet'
How is it that in our advanced, modern, educated society, the most advanced in the history of man kind, those who have access to this require a "diet" to eat normal healthy food?
 We that screwed up?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 11:41am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Steps" yep we have screwed up our diets due to abnormal work hours,no longer 8.00 to 4.30,there is a lot out there working 3.00am to 5.00pm or 10.00pm to 12.00 noon,we no longer have time to prepare healthy options most grab on the run, I certainly have not eaten correctly for almost 10yrs,not saying living  on a pie chips burger diet,but even eating subway type food is not that healthy due to the sauces etc we put on.
The only time I eat healthy is on holiday(like now)weekends when home and yes Wife makes meals and put in fridge but to be honest when I get home from some crazy hours just want a snack shower bed and repeat it all over again.
Taking vitamin pills etc is not the answer cannot replace what mother nature has naturally in proper prepared foods,the most bland food is the healthiest. Look at hospital food,bland but nutrient,(so they tell us)