Not very smart, Smartwave build

Topic Closed

Page  <12345>
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 1:28pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One thing I don't understand, is the name of the thread.
Should be called, "Very smart, Smartwave build"
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 1:59pm
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Its more of a play on the irony of going down this route, the pain involved with custom making things and piecing all the parts together and spending a fortune vs buying a boat package off the lot from a dealer and driving away. The result I hope will be fairly smart though, TBC haha Beer
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 3:04pm
Gold
Gold

Im not sure about saving money, may have saved a bit as I have been able to get a good deal on each individual items. But more importantly I hope to end up with a better product overall, picking all the items I want rather than being given 'X motor' because the dealer is affiliated with that product, and an off the shelf trailer that doesn't fit under a garage door etc. Also ive spent a fair bit of my time in the past re-wiring and re-plumbing the work done by boat shops haha. 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 6:08pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fully understand now, and it's looking very smart . Will look even better when there's blood on the deck.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 8:39am
Gold
Gold

Console lighting, just generic LED nav lights, and low level courtesy lights to the base to illuminate the walkaround at night time.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:03am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I hope to end up with a better product overall, picking all the items I want rather than being given 'X motor'

Something that works best for you (and bonus most others)
 ie  left or right handed, your height (seats consol etc)
 Depending on chosen seats where mounters to give most moving room.
Location within a few mms of rod holders, position of bait board as far back as possible but still allow the engine of choice to just clear it..
Or put another way "work hard at being lazy"  
If boat laid out stuff positioned exact, everything works best 100%... less work more comfort... lazy
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:19am
Gold
Gold

Yes exactly ^^ id prefer to spend a bit of time now getting it right and it will make the rest of the time i'm using it that much better. 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:23am
Gold
Gold

The console wiring is mostly done for now, trailer is due back from galv tomorrow so hopefully I can get that assembled and get the boat onto it, and the console back on the hull. Then its ready to have the engine fitted. The missus will be soo stoked when i get back into the garage and dont have this going on in the lounge anymore LOL

Garmin wiring pass-through, if anyone has a better suggestion of a way to pass 3 cables through with large plugs that lets the cables slide forward and back freely (to angle the sounder and access the plugs at the back of the unit) please let me know.

There isnt alot to work with inside the console to organise the wiring that dont involve fixing something to the exterior skin, so I cut a sheet of HDPE and mounted it to the fixings of the stainless steel grab rails. This keeps it about 20mm off the exterior skid so there is room for fixings and can run wires behind it etc, its also up high away from any potential salt spray and wont get knocked putting things in and out of the console. My best shot at wiring Ouch

The power runs through a narva compact battery switch, and has a CTEK comfort charging panel, so its real easy to put on charge without fishing around in the console to connect it. All tucked under the return of the opening so its out of sight when youre on the boat and cant get knocked. (bottom right of photo)

Playing with the sounder Beer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:45am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks great - nice job.

Can't see what you've done with the kill-cord?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:09am
RooW View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Amazing work. Looks like you've thought of everything.

Can I give you my console when I pick one of these up to modify? You're the guru of these things! Clap
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:11am
Gold
Gold

Thanks Dagwood, 

I ran out of time yesterday to get it mounted yesterday, I will have a few more jobs to do on the console once the motor is fitted. I plan for it to be next to the battery switch, but need to check the height first.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:39am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Marknado4000 Marknado4000 wrote:

Picked up a battery yesterday gone with a single Exide dual purpose and got a few small jobs done.

What is the idea of the Dual Purpose? Simply dual battery posts, one for the Outboard, the other for general electrics or am I missing something? Cheers looking fantastic mate.Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:54am
Gold
Gold

Im not an expert on the topic but ill do my best, theres either starting, deep-cycle or dual purpose. The batteries have lead plates inside, starting batteries have alot of thin plates which give alot of power in short bursts to start an engine, these are cheap and dont take well to being run flat (hard on the plates), a deep-cycle has fewer plates that are alot thicker so can withstand being slowly drained hundreds of times, but doesnt offer much starting power, these cost heaps and have two sets of terminals. The dual purpose is kind of inbetween, still costs alot, and has two sets of terminals. I think the best situation is one of each, but if space is a premium the dual purpose isnt a bad option. Especially for me as I assume this big screen will draw a fair bit of power.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:27pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Suggestions regarding wiring: -

Check out Seaview cable glands or Blueseas cable clams. They provide a tidy and water tight way to get cables with plugs throguh bulk heads.  I've had good results with them on the boat and on kayaks for fishfinder cables.  Only down side is they aren't flat profile

With your wiring consider having drip-loops like you have on your bus bars wires on all connections.  As well as directing drips away from devices, the will enable you to pull them forward if you need to access connections

If it was me I'd label each wire too - at the bus bars, switch panels and fuse protection.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:45pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by MikeAqua MikeAqua wrote:

Suggestions regarding wiring: -

Check out Seaview cable glands or Blueseas cable clams. They provide a tidy and water tight way to get cables with plugs throguh bulk heads.  I've had good results with them on the boat and on kayaks for fishfinder cables.  Only down side is they aren't flat profile

With your wiring consider having drip-loops like you have on your bus bars wires on all connections.  As well as directing drips away from devices, the will enable you to pull them forward if you need to access connections

If it was me I'd label each wire too - at the bus bars, switch panels and fuse protection.

Thanks for that, Those Seaview glands look awesome, the depth of them isnt going to work in this situation though, its very tight as it is, and the gland doesnt look like it will let the cable exit on any form of angle. Theyll come in handy for other bits of the build though,

Good point about the sounder drip-loops, they will have them albeit small when theyre plugged in, the sounder is 360mm wide so they exit the grommet and run along to different points along the unit.

The bus bar and fuse board have plastic covers which have labels, but I havnt fitted them yet as Ive still got a few bits to add (VHF and engine stuff) so may end up changing the designation of each yet.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 1:53pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quick question, will you need/use an engine cut off?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:27pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

Nice size screen . Have you decided on transducers ?

Im still working on it, but I think ill go with two transducers, 99% of my fishing would be 40m max, so probably a GT52HW-TM running high chirp and side view for finding bait stickbaiting etc, run this on the starboard side. 

Then a 600w GT15M-TM on the port side, running just Traditional Chirp for when I went into deeper waters, alderman pins etc This should do 60-200m pretty well, cant imagine I would need it alot though. 

I think that will give me the best of both world? 

i've just changed a tm23m for a tm185m . The only trip out so far was to 55m ,  I thought the 1kw chirp was definetly a step up from the 600w .
 Just another transducer to consider for that 200m zone 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 6:10pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cant see in the pic if all the trim screw have the cross heads all set the same way?
 Sry , maybe its just my rodde background showing thruWink
 Wouldnt be surprised if they are thu. 
ppl recon that doesnt make a difference...
Put say 2 identical engine bays side by side, one with screw heads, jubilee clips etc all squared off, the other not as well... the squared off will be picked up as by far the nicer and most ppl who pick will not know why they have..
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 8:11pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can the sounder be tilted up so you can look down on the screen while your driving standing up?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 8:24pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im not an expert on the topic but ill do my best, theres either starting, deep-cycle or dual purpose. The batteries have lead plates inside, starting batteries have alot of thin plates which give alot of power in short bursts to start an engine, these are cheap and dont take well to being run flat (hard on the plates), a deep-cycle has fewer plates that are alot thicker so can withstand being slowly drained hundreds of times, but doesnt offer much starting power, these cost heaps and have two sets of terminals. The dual purpose is kind of inbetween, still costs alot, and has two sets of terminals. I think the best situation is one of each, but if space is a premium the dual purpose isnt a bad option. Especially for me as I assume this big screen will draw a fair bit of power.

Yep I understand both, ex - marine electronics tech, good choice!

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Page  <12345>