WTB - Starter set up for Soft Bait fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote IGAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB - Starter set up for Soft Bait fishing
    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 9:16am
IGAB View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi All,

Looking for a cheap(ish) Soft Bait set up.

What would you recommend? Or if you have one for sale, let me know details..

Cheers
Looking forward to to fishing freedom on the Jet ski..and maybe even catching a fish :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:08am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Too cheap is a waste money
If dont have a lot gear/experiance/casting I suggest look at something for light gear jigging, strayline and softbaiting.
A shamanoo 4000OC  or if pockets a little deeper the 4000 thunus. About the $150 to $275 range id\f shop around
 Rod around the 6' 6" 6 to 10kg  in order of preference.. least to better.. shimano catana, okumu elite, okuma nano matrix
Around $70 to $170 range.
 We have all of those in our rod rack..
 Daiwa j8 coloured braid.. I use 30lb.. only cause buy larger reels.. cheaper and goes on all the rods...bit on the heavy side according to most... but works for all applications.
 300yrds around $65 (??)
 30lb fluro for around reefs 15/20lbs on the open sand.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:15am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Depending on your budget, i think an Okuma X-Factor 7" 2-pc 6-10kg rod is great value for giving it a go. Only about $90. 
It's fairly soft action, though - depends on what you prefer.  It is a composite, so not as fragile as full graphite sticks. I got mine as a $120 combo for my Dad to use, but didn't think much of the Okuma reel it came with. It got pretty rough pretty quick (not a surprise, given the cost!). 
There are Shimanos and Daiwa rods in the mid-$150 range, and it'd be worth looking at the likes of Kaveman Tackle rods if you've got a little more.
If you want great bang for your buck with a reel, I'd look at a Shimano Stradic FK. Unlike some of the cheap combo reels, it will see you right for a long time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 11:41am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We all have our favourites, I like the Shimano Nano X Shadow rods which aren't too expensive, but it depends on your definition.

Lightweight gear is your friend when softbaiting. I use 15lb braid and 15lb fluorocarbon on a 3 - 5 kg rod and 2500 reel, and have no problem with Northland donkey snapper or legal kingfish over sand. If you're fishing reefs/rocks/kelp, heavier will probably be required.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:30pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i’ve got a symetre 4000fl on a shimano jigwrex 603 with i think 15lb braid. $300. i’m over in howick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote IGAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:18pm
IGAB View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi John,

Appreciate the offer, but already have something similar. Was looking for something a bit longer and lighter, specifically for soft-baiting. Cheers
Looking forward to to fishing freedom on the Jet ski..and maybe even catching a fish :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Robertc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 5:04pm
Robertc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have got a brand new

TDSX280 - SHADOW X NANO SPIN
2 pc
5-10 kg
2.13 m / 7 ft

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/shimano-rods/shimano-shadow-x-nano-spinning-rod-7ft-5-10kg-2pc

And a used Shimano Rarenium 4000FB (spooled with suffix 832.)

https://www.fishing.net.nz/fishing-advice/product-news-and-reviews/shimano-rarenium-4000fb/

In Auckland.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 5:07pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

IGAB, no worries i’m downsizing what i’ve got.

i do have a stradic 2500fk on a berkley diablo might suit you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdamER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 6:28pm
AdamER View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

How much for your shadow x lad?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 7:04pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by IGAB IGAB wrote:

Hi All,

Looking for a cheap(ish) Soft Bait set up.

What would you recommend? Or if you have one for sale, let me know details..

Cheers

As you know mate you get what you pay for in terms of brand, reliability and quality.

Decide upon your budget first otherwise, it will do your head in with all the lower end of brand named gear.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Aloy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 7:46pm
Aloy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey mate, have Synit Bay Area SBL pe0.5-1 10-30grm 7’ match with Stella fi c3k spooled up with 200mtrs varivas Pe1.5 casting braid. It’s definitely not a cheap(ish).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 6:26am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That’s a nice starter outfit Aloy . You wouldn’t be looking to upgrade in a hurry.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote IGAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 7:55am
IGAB View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for all the feedback guys...much appreciated & very helpful.

I have sent a few PM's and hopefully I can find something soon.

Cheers