pc software, way points, trip planning

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pc software, way points, trip planning
    Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:42pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am looking for a freebie software for my navionics card, so I can view my map, add waypoints manually if needed, plus perhaps some trip planning
Also would like to edit waypoint names, pain in the arse doing this through my fishfinder, then export to my sd card
What do you use ?
Would prefer to use something for offline use
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 6:24pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe the tech topics column would be a better area than the Newbies to draw in the boffins.Geek

However, have you had a look at the Navionics webapp as it is free for web-based browsing via google chrome, firefox mozilla, internet explorer, etc? A good way to suss an area and note coords, lay in courses and routes, etc

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:36am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The webb app doesnt have the waypionts/ tracks / routes function like the smart p0hone apps.
 Ihavnt done this butbelieve it is the way.. 
 A navionics network compatible gps (mine isnt)  set all your routes markers on the smartphone/ tab, log in on both and they will all syn.. including those on the sounder.
 I do this between my smart phone and tab
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 6:24pm
Platinum
Platinum

yeah, I know about the webapp
cant do it for offline planning, which is what I want to do when away from coverage
Surely there must be something out there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 6:40pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

https://opencpn.org/

this is what youre looking for.

add a USB powered gps receiver for your laptop and youve got yourself a full featured chartplotter.

is also possible to export waypoints to your existing chartplotter and autopilot via network cable, wifi or micro-sd
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 9:52am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Open cpn can also be put on andriod smart phone or tab with gps (note GPS on a samart phone/tab is not the same as network location... check in the location settings of the unit, dont take the word of a 'trained' sales person.) 
 Opencp maps are the NZ linz maps converted, the download is now a few yrs out of date.
 There is another maxsea (?? think was called) been a few yrs since looked at that but very similar to opencpn.. again very basic LINZ maps converted.

yeah, I know about the webapp
cant do it for offline planning, which is what I want to do when away from coverage

If coverage or not, doesnt matter the navionics web app doesnt do the routes and tracks like the smart phone/ tab does.. its only about $20/ annum and $10 there after..
And doesnt require any coverage coverage .. other than gps to work...
 It is like google maps, you can select and pre download huge areas for off line..
again it is location by gps, NOT the coverage by cell phone tower/ wireless to locate.. if the tab doesn't have gps, navionics usually tells you it is not compatible with the unit if you go to load it.

Navionics on a tab/ phone @$20/$10 is fare more uptodate, detailed cheaper than buying installing a laptop gps and out of date max sea/ opencpn maps.

I have run all of these, and a couple others on windows computers / android smart phones and still occasionally go back and check them out for significant changes every now and then over the last 7 or 8 yrs..
 Basically I started with the same, and a couple more questions you originally asked.

Edit: opencpn has a habit of getting stuck and/or dropping the zoomed in Linz map sheets.. only way to fix is the reload the maps... and thats a pain if 1/2 way thru a project..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 6:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

hey guys, thanks for the opencpn, will check it out, cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 8:16pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OpenCPN is great - you need to download then import the LINZ NZ charts as well. If you want to import your waypoints/routes they need to be in the GPX format. GPX Editor may be useful if you need to convert your data.

treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 8:43pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 9:33am
Platinum
Platinum

nice one Catchelot, thanks for the link
get that man a beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 8:53pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Heres a new one with very detailed info and bathymetry lines and curves for your smart phone.

Look up Embark on your phone play stores, very impressive for a freebie.Clap