New moter choice

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New moter choice
    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 7:46pm
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi all,
My good friend has just been told his 17 year old Johnson outboard is not worth fixing( stopped on him on his last trip ) only done 195 hurs, dealer wants to sell him a new 150 hp merc but same dealer is also a Suzuki dealer, my question is what moter would you guys go for, the 150 merc or the 150 Suzuki, look forward to your replays.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 8:10pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Go back through this forum to the 24th April 2017 to a thread asking the exact same question.
Theres plenty of good info there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 8:36pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The cheapest one, there both great motors
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 9:29pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tough choice price up both and see which one fits the budget. Only have a Suzuki dealer here so easy to chose for me.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 11:02pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by ROCKSTARS ROCKSTARS wrote:

Hi all,
My good friend has just been told his 17 year old Johnson outboard is not worth fixing( stopped on him on his last trip ) only done 195 hurs, dealer wants to sell him a new 150 hp merc but same dealer is also a Suzuki dealer, my question is what moter would you guys go for, the 150 merc or the 150 Suzuki, look forward to your replays.

I know I can be horribly skeptical sometimes about this stuff, but what exactly went wrong with the Johnson? Got to realise that the dealer (if he is the same guy diagnosing the dead Johny) stand to make 10 times more money selling a new engine than he does doing a repair to the Johnson. The new motor also comes with a factory warranty vs him having to warranty his repair work. Did the Johnson have a rod sticking out of the block or make a nasty death rattle etc (then it probably is dead) or did it just fail to start or stop with no nasty signs or noises? For instance, if it is a FICHT engine with an ECU problem (common issue) there are after market companies that repair the ECU's and make them better than new. That won't cost $20k+ like a new engine might.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 7:05am
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for that tagit, my understanding is that he was just driving along and the engine stopped no nasty noises etc, I will be seeing him over the weekend, I will post pics of engine etc, it has been regularly serviced, the dealer said the computer showed 19 faults on its diagnosis???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 9:44am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd take the dealers diagnosis with a grain of SALT!... go elsewhere for an opinion...
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 12:27pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tagit somes up very well.
 Fault read out.. 17yrs old...195 hrs up.. 19 faults.
I would say Tagit is right on the money being a FICHT engine.
  low usage, most probably less than 1/2 to 1 hr each use, and flush closer to 3 mins than 10 mins.
 Salt build up in the ECU cooling pipes.. the bend.
 ECU fails.. and when it does like this shows heap of faults.. including ECU hot fault.

Friend shopped around NZ to get his FICH ecu repaired in NZ.. was going to cost  lots.. grand or so...
So shopped around overseas.. the USA....
 Sent away , back in about 3 weeks and about $750 including, shipping , shipping insurance etc.
 This was 4 or 5 yrs back....then the engine had done around 2700 hrs.. and is still going.

I picked up my 2001 150 hp jonny, 93 hrs on the clock, full service record, including winterizing each yr, ex dealer was sold new for 9K

Swapping out from one brand to another means complete loom/ gauge/ throttle/ cable swap.. 
Simply swapping out say V4 jonny to a V6 just engine ... huge labour saving... Engine hoist, 3/4 hrs Ifg 1st time doing it... couple spanners, long nose pliers, $30 tube sika marine sealant..

I would be running a compression test at least.. never mine the faults crap...
 Hell they maybe old faults that are no longer current out of the logs...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 12:58pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Find out what actually happened in a bit more detail. Also get the fault code printout if you can and what exact model engine. Seen enough cases where a cheap repair becomes a new engine because that works better for the dealer.In this case a very low hour engine with what I am picking could be a well known fault probably shouldn't get thrown away. Maybe $2k repair on a 195 hour engine vs ~$20k to get a 0 hour engine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 1:08pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Never ,never, go with just one opinion,and get all diagnosis in detail to point of exactly knowing problem. Then make an informed decision.

Motor was running o.k Started o.k. Suddenly stopped. Could be many reasons ,some could be minor.
I had a 2 stroke motor suddenly die and stop a long time ago on a dark night.It did restart. Only when i was flushing it did i notice a prop blade bent into a u shape. It had hit a solid partly submerged object and stalled. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 1:29pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

High probability it is a FICHT. They have a bad reputation for EMM (ECU) problems. There are some clever fellas that have worked out how to rework the EMM's to sort out the issues. Then I think they have a EMM cooling tube issue that can easily be sorted with just a reasonably simple addition to the annual maintenance. Also have fiddly spark plug clocking to do when changing the plugs so best if the guy doing the plugs knows what he is doing. Do those few things and they are meant to be a good engine that will last a long time.
If it was mine I would get the compressions checked and check the plugs that came out for any signs of issues. If that is all good I would get a good FICHT guy who isn't trying to sell you a new engine  to run over it as they will probably know just what is going on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 5:55pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If that is all good I would get a good FICHT guy who isn't trying to sell you a new engine  to run over it as they will probably know just what is going on.

yep...
Generally with issue on Ficht with heating ECU, will get a few instances of engine cutting out,  re start after a little while.. dont get good rpms... rather than no signs and engine cuts out nothing there after.
 Could be something very simple.. loose wire...or emergency tag on the ign switch knocked out..

Althu Ficht engines got a bad rap, when repaired and if still going today.. will be as solid as any other engine.
 They dont like cheaper 2s oils or the evinrude X30.. always use the X50
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 8:35pm
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi all this is what happened before engine stopped. Boat was been driven home then low oil light came on, then check engine light came on. Driver then slowed down then continued on knowing that there was plenty of oil in engine. Moter them gave a splutter then stopped. Boat was towed home from this point. Dealer said computer dionosticts showed 9 faults ( not 19 as i had earlier said ) dealer said computer was faulty and would be better off buying a new engine. Engine is a 2001 evenrude 135 hp 2 stroke. I think it is the model before the flict. Thanks for all of your input.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 7:38am
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I’d get the Yamaha.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 10:59am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all this is what happened before engine stopped. Boat was been driven home then low oil light came on, then check engine light came on. Driver then slowed down then continued on knowing that there was plenty of oil in engine. Moter them gave a splutter then stopped. 

This could be a common and simple as a little water/ moisture and /or crap in the bottom of the oil tank. There is a oil sensor in there. Given the age of the engine, and that it is VERY unlikely that any time.. including servicing, the oil tank has been MTed, cleaned. 
Note: when do this.. and new oil in,
 disconnect oil line at the engine...
block off the pump port so dont drain oil from the pump... 
the pump bulb on the oil tank to bleed thru engine end of the oil line.
 Connect to pump, fire up while pumping the oil.
 I personally like to bleed the oil lines to oil pump, connect the fuel line to a 5L container of pre mixed fuel oil... pump that to the engine then fire up , after about 5 mins you can just see a minute drop in level of the oil tank.. 

dealer said computer was faulty and would be better off buying a new engine.

A far as Im aware motors at this time other than ficht fuel injected where carbed and therefore had no computer (???)

Engine is a 2001 evenrude 135 hp 2 stroke. I think it is the model before the flict. 

From memory  the ficht was introduced '97/ 98 to 2001/ 2002  the label marked depending on where in the world it was purchased..
 And from 75 hp thru 250 hp(???)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 5:21pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

His motor is fuel injected it has a throttle body .from 1999 they came out fuel injected .1998 carburators and vro was still used they confuse you when you look at the parts diagrams in 1998 they use the word throttle body when infact it is a carburator becuase it gets the fuel from the vro pump and has no injector
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 8:48pm
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bump
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 7:21pm
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Boat owner has been quoted over $5,000 for new computer plus fitting, this sounds expensive to me or does that sound about right, boat dealer is still pushing for a new outboard though, poor boat owner is a bit confused.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 9:04pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes it is expensive but if it's the earlier ficht model you can send to a company that made them for omc in usa. It's about a 4 week turnaround. Tell him to give me a call. Cheers Russell from Conder Marine
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 9:21pm
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Many thanks Russell will contact u tomorrow
Page  12>