Which electric anchor winch for a 14-15ftr?

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:06pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

that really does make sense as an alternative to a second anchor and or sea anchor. you pretty much can get your fishing days worth done on a battery.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:17pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

Had to go and free the anchor at 16m. not so fun when its the same weight as my weightbelt just about LOL

$2600 winch and a $50 snorkelling set saves the day :-)?

I always carry my spearing gear. The amount of times ive got stuck around Tiri, ugggggh. I also tend to now carry the two anchor types for this reason.

Can I put a dollar value on getting the boat closer to me with that lovely big dive flag away from the nutters zooming around? Nope. Also who wants to swim that extra 200m when you can just go down a small amount and return the surface to free the anchor once in every 100 odd times.. Before the winch the rule of thumb was dont drop the pick deeper than 20m! haha

p.s unfortunately the setup is nearly the price of a couple fishing sticks with those spinny reel things. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 8:50am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So for the purpose of anchoring, would you run a parralel battery? From a safety perspective clearly you dont want to be using the main battery. I really have no idea on the battery requirements so appreciate the info.

Yes I think you need a second battery if you have either a trolling motor like the minnkota or an anchor winch.  You don't want to be using the battery you rely on to start the engine for either of those. 

Smaller boats impose practical limitations so it's not always possible.  If you end up with a single battery then it would make sense to carry a jump-start pack or similar.

If you do end up with a second battery, have look at BEP's battery management clusters, which are a compact and simple solution for managing charge across two or more batteries.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 2:05pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks MA, marine electronics as in batteries and cable. I have a am comfortable running phone line copper and fibre, but just not overly experienced with battery relaying etc.

I always buy engines with pull start back ups, so perhaps the second battery wouldnt be needed, perhaps just the largest reasonable size I can find?

Its between the HH 445r, Stabi 1410 Explorer or another 15ft RIB.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 2:32pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a anchor winch. I have never experienced any problem that indicates a need for a second battery.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 2:44pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its been best practice to always fire the engine up then pull anchor up.. be it a winch or capstain.
In saying that, some motor alternators dont charge much at low rpms, as some have found out in previous threads, trolling etc.
 But if engine started, battery little old, may not be fully charged..
 Also comes to another possible issue on some motors  where the current draw, be it after pulling anchor or firing while pulling anchor, goes very high for a few micro secs, the ECU doesnt have enough to work, problems ensue.. I believe evinrudes maybe susceptible to this... and couple other makes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 2:49pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

I have a anchor winch. I have never experienced any problem that indicates a need for a second battery.

No neither. But this is to power the Minn Kota secondary electronic motor, which acts as an anchor against the current. It could be very useful in keeping the noise down when coming into certain locations too. They are quite popular in the US and Aus for this reason. Plus the use of foot controls makes it a breeze. :-)

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Its been best practice to always fire the engine up then pull anchor up.. be it a winch or capstain.

That is solid advice and should be applied every time imo.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 2:57pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

FF... This may be of interest to you, I have been using this method for years.

Also when you anchor in the foul reefy areas only use a grapple anchor that its wire prongs can easily bend, that way if majorly stuck it becomes a simple pull out with the outboard and then the rest  is by driving away as described in the link below... might save you a few thou in winch/drum, heavy duty cabling and another battery. etcThumbs Up

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 3:02pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks MA, marine electronics as in batteries and cable. I have a am comfortable running phone line copper and fibre, but just not overly experienced with battery relaying etc.

I suggest you get hold of "the 12-volt Bible" great intro to marine electrics.

With modern outboards there is  lot more electronicary.  Hand starting with a dead battery still may not be an option.

My boat (6m) has two older outboards, 2 x start batteries and one house. 

One start batt does one outboard , the winch,  a 15A 12v outlet and the bilge pumps. 

The other start batt does the other outboard and charges the house via a BEP-VSR.  The house batt powers electronics only including a USB outlet for charging phones etc - no motors connected anywhere on this circuit.

A parallel link switch links the two starters batteries.  If it all goes horribly wrong I can also use the house battery to start one outboard.

Last option is to hand start an outboard (70 HP).  Not easy but possible.

Connecting the bilge pumps to the starter motor is technically bad practice.  But I have second starter battery so I can get away with it.  And it allows me to turn off the house circuit completely when  moored.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 3:58pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I knew there was a good thread a while back on the 'kota

not anything on the kota web site I can find on battery use.. other than a snippet about recommend use starter / house battery.

Also bit vague on lbs to boat size
 If I understand correctly
 55lb to 5m
 80 to 7m
 112 to 7.5m
 They have a disclaimer about req'd  lbs per boat size is estimated. Boat weight would be of far more help , maybe. 
ie a 5.5m center console is lot lighter than a cabin.. and propping is about weight... well on plaining hulls, displacement.. which at troll a planing hull basically is.. Im not familiar with that.. think its weight and length (??) 
 Either way sure they could do better in this regard.

In thread above they not mentioning lb to boat size.. 2nd page towards the end a mention about battery usage thu.. hands on stuff.
 Cool thread.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 5:23pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

FF... This may be of interest to you, I have been using this method for years.

Hi Catche, thanks buddy. Yep, use that system for a long time now, always use the grapnel in weedy territory, my fav place to see anchors snagged is actually Tiri in close lol.

The Electric winch was more for the idea of being lazy and saving the the muscles from hauling in line. But to be honest a float out to the anchor isnt that much of a struggle. If it saves $1500 its prob not worth it when I could get a Minn Kota :-). Or a drone for fun and longlining off the west coast beaches. Hmmm, thanks. Also my Mrs is a very fit, thats my secondary anchor winch. WINCH not wench. ;-p.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 5:24pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MikeAqua MikeAqua wrote:

I suggest you get hold of "the 12-volt Bible" great intro to marine electrics.

Am googling it now. Very much appreciated.

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

not anything on the kota web site I can find on battery use..

That info Joker posted seems very useful. Although would be nice to have a drift in knots to Amps or Motor Speed chart too :-). But from what hes said it sounds like for my use Id never chew through a battery.

Motor Speed......Current Draw (Amps)
1...................... 0.9
2...................... 1.5
3...................... 3.2
4...................... 5.2
5...................... 8.4

So sounds to me like just sticking with a float/ezi lift and owning a Minn Kota might be a better use of the money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote funandfunction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 8:19pm
funandfunction View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

Time to just focus on the topic rather than the writer. There's always going to be the odd person who has to have their 5c worth on everything and also the odd person who feels they have been blessed with knowing absolutely everything there is to know....

The forums are a great resource so if you think you might just fall into either of the two categories above then maybe just do a bit more thinking before hitting the old keyboard.

Good points Grunta. I've always believed that there is nothing wrong with being a Knowall, providing the Knowall actually does know all. The problems only arise when the Knowall doesn't know all but only thinks he or she knows all. It's always hugely disappointing to discover that someone you had believed to be a Knowall says something that demonstrates that they don't know all because Knowalls are so useful.
There are two types of people in the world: those that divide people into two types and those that don't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 8:51pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I forgot to mention solo launch and retrieve with the Minn Kota remote controll - just launch it, put the motor down and send it on its way to park whilst you park the trailer - on the ramp quide it back to you - same thing in reverse on retrieve - brilliant. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:25am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow - never thought of that - launch off the beach, set the min Kota to hold the boat away from the beach, later call it in with the remote. Cool. Will it put the boat up onto the trailer by itself?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:38am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Motor Speed......Current Draw (Amps)
1...................... 0.9
2...................... 1.5
3...................... 3.2
4...................... 5.2
5...................... 8.4

What is the source of that..
 From memory going thru the 'kota specs yesterday the 55lb and think 80lb had a 30 amp relay
 It is my understanding .. stand to be corected here.. generally relays are speced at around 150% ie max draw 30 amp relay 45 amp 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 11:00am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

Wow - never thought of that - launch off the beach, set the min Kota to hold the boat away from the beach, later call it in with the remote. Cool. Will it put the boat up onto the trailer by itself?

Make us a latte as well.

I thought maybe that could be used for LBG off the rocks on islands, but I think that might be a bit dangerous and asking for trouble if something goes wrong and the boat drifts off haha. Now a minn kota remote AND a remote electric winch that might work hehe. Im joking.

Steps i think Joker got those from the manual, Im not sure, just copy and pasting from his post.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 11:15am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think its correct.

No1 son in Australia has one and put a 30AH breaker fuse on it and it trips at speed 10 but not at 9.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 10:59pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

I think its correct.

No1 son in Australia has one and put a 30AH breaker fuse on it and it trips at speed 10 but not at 9.

VERY popular there. Saw my first one in about 2000 on the  14ft polycraft, which they put a casting deck on which is where the minn kota is. Being plastic and electric you can get in real close to those sunken logs where Barra love to hang out.

I cant see why same practises cant be used for Kingis here in the harbour/gulf? (not so much the casting deck in a 10 knot chop lol)

I think to save money I will be just using an ezi lift anchor system (usually just use a buoy with a large carribeener but better do it properly and a hand winch to reel in the warp.

Spend the money on the electric motor, am convinced the more videos on watch on them.

Off to view a 15ft glass boat during the week. Have decided against Ally, each to their own, I just like glass. And also have 2 Hypalon RIBs to look at. Not many wavebreaks or naiads around at the mo though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 11:24pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a minn kota on my frewza , i use ir for puka kings in the Manukau and jigging, some times i just use it instead of the anchor if I'm straylining best thing ever
 Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <123>
Share Topic