Penn 50W International query

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penn 50W International query
    Posted: 21 May 2018 at 6:31pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone know how the 2 spd gear set comes apart? I have the gear plate part of the housing off, but can't figure how to separate the 2 spd locking bit. I left all my books etc in NZ (silly me). The reel is not properly engaging a gear and keeps slipping out of high gear. if you hold the handle 'out' it helps, but there is an issue. Something not meshing properly.
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:23pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is a couple of very small pins that are easy to loose or miss install that are in the handle shaft. Maybe the problem? Or check for loose little screws on the main gear. 
Bloody site won't let me post photos again today. I'll see if I can pm it

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:46pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

172a
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:54pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If it's the design that has the button you push on the handle and the whole handle pushes in for low gear then pulls out for high gear. 

The sleeve that the handle shaft runs in has worn, I had a reel do this a few years ago. the gold anodised out stand from the right hand sideplate needs to be replaced, it comes with the new sleeve in it. 

Once you have removed the Handle retainer, that has the gear change button in it, you push a small screw driver or allen key into the hole, and that will release the detent studs and the shaft can be pushed out. be careful when you do that and make sure the little buggers don't fly out and into the ether. Check out Alan Tani's web site with reel tutorials, here's the one you want, if it's this vintage 50SW you're talking about. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16361.0
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:26pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post your lovely Penn to Krow for Tender Loving Care or contact Swordfish Steve, he has; blueprinted, stroked, upgraded, serviced and pampered many of my bestie reels.TongueClapCool
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:24am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is exactly the one. Thanks.
I will check it out.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:25am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I bought most of them off Steve. Not keen on posting.
But back in NZ in a few weeks. So will bring back for him then.
meantime.........
Thanks guys
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:19pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tried to post a couple of pics this morning - no luck , in a rush.
Sorry about sideways - no idea how to fix and not sideways in my pc file. My mate got his first mahi couple of days ago. Lives here in Vtu and has own boat and catches squat. So I took him out on mine. Day before wanted to catch a Y/F - so when we got one on he managed to break one of my game rods. Next day mahi on list. We hooked another good Y/F that dived over 100m, then took off another 100m to the Fad and jammed my line in there. Had to cut the hollow dacron (sob). Then hooked a marlin while trying for Y/F, spat hook shortly after, then hooked 5 mahi in 20 min. 3 landed. Called it a day - 2 1/2 hrs fishing.
Next day (y/day) I dragged this beast up from 250m.
Got enough fish for a while.
Regards
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 3:14pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for help guys. Think I found the problem and would not have got the gear shaft apart without all the advice above. The shaft/bush is perfect - no play. Zilch. but the detent pins are sad. I assembled it all without the pins and it slips in/out of gear nicely.
I will contact Steve and see if I can get some bits for this and others. Mate coming next week.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 5:27pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Al and nicely done, just as well you didn't send your gear to Dierdre Krow as he would have your reel opened with an impact screwdriver, 10lb hammer and those shaft pins would be made from No.8 fencing wire! LOLLOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 5:34pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Nice ruby snapper there Alan. We get a few of them over my way but I have yet to catch one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:18pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It is a bit different to ruby snapper - but similar other ways - colour etc. But the head shape is sharper than snapper which is more blunt like the NZ snapper. They are Poulet, about 4 sub species, long tail, yellow stripe... We have ruby snapper here too. Cigutera is big issue here, so I only eat pelagics or deep water fish. 
Nearest thing to NZ snapper to eat. Tough choice between mahi and poulet, but I still think mahi might win. have frozen mine while I eat poulet. Doesn't keep quite as well as mahi.
Krow may have a big hammer, but he gave me excellent advice - Steve has some pins on way via my mate. 
Windy next few days - for my boat anyway. Fix some gear, make traces, rig baits, then back in to it. my season kind of starts when yours finishes.
Regards
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:49pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:50pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My poulet is 2nd pic bttm rt.
Red snappa 1st pic
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 6:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

It is a bit different to ruby snapper .... They are Poulet, about 4 sub species, long tail, yellow stripe...

Page 3 of the link below suggests that Poulet is the Bislama name and there are also English names. As you say there are sub species of Poulet. What you are holding looks like a Ruby Snapper to me.

https://www.cbd.int/doc/meetings/mar/soiws-2016-05/other/soiws-2016-05-vanuatu-13-en.pdf
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 6:52am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Delighted to hear of your success Alan.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 5:02pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I still think it is a poulet, as in bttm rt of 2nd pic. But I won't stake my life on it.
What I can confirm is that while there are several sub species of poulet, they all seem to taste the same to me. Can't see any difference.
I would definitely call this one a Ruby/red snapa.
That is my boat in background. Fyran 530. Can't say enough good things about that hull. Brought it over from NZ in container.
Regards
Alan
Edit - can someone explain how to upload the pics - takes me 20+ goes. this time not working. I choose file - then the pic comes up in Preview. I have then tried OK, Upload, and tried Upload, OK. Neither works.
Thanks
Alan  
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 5:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

Alan your fish is a poulet. More correctly it is a Sottel Red Poulet. That is the Bislama / Creole language name for the fish. The English name for the same fish is Ruby Snapper. The Scientific name for the same fish is Etelis sp. Three names - one fish.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 6:19pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes agree - Red poulet. We also have a fish here similar, as in first pic I did manage to post, Red Snapa. looks similar. But I am guessing different to Ruby Snapper. 
If I could only get the pics to post.
Sucess - dont ask me how. But this I call a Red Snapa. My Fyran in background. Love it. Solo fish mostly, 20-25k to the Fads. brilliant boat. The pics all mixed up now. Red Snapa below. The boys would call those other fish poulet - looked like mine. And ssince I managed to post a pic finally - the local lobster - 2-3 weeks ago. Not all that big. Vegetarian as you prob know. Won't catch in a pot - have to wrestle it. good luck. The guy holding it is Russ has a charter boat if interested. Google Nambas - means penis in Bislama. he lives few doors down. You may have seen Gayford 2 pt series on Vtu around Xmas - that was with Russ.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 7:00pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Alan your fish is a poulet. More correctly it is a Sottel Red Poulet. That is the Bislama / Creole language name for the fish. The English name for the same fish is Ruby Snapper. The Scientific name for the same fish is Etelis sp. Three names - one fish.   
Since you are from perth, you may know the Boatshed market?
My neighbour here 2 doors over (Craig) owns it. We do a lot of fishing trips together. Next time there, contact him, tell him you know his mad kiwi neighbour. He is a keen fisho too. you never know......
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  12>