Kaipara magic

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kaipara magic
    Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:38pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

First off, thanks again to Fishwhisperer for not only sharing his experiences and knowledge but also
giving some of us the inspiration to sometimes change it up and put in a little more effort to try new
areas. Been meaning to do the Kaipara for a while and Jason’s last report made the decision for me.
Thursdays weather window stayed open and the planned plan was put into action. My crew for the day
was Benedikt, one of our German volunteers who do a years stint in our disabilty sector as part of their
national service. Ben has only been fishing once before on the Manukau and even though they did get a
good bag, they were all the usual ͞barely legals͟ with the Kaiparas reputation I hoped to get him into
some bigger models. We hit the beach before sun up and got the boat ready, took a bit of time to throw
the cast net in the shallows for a couple of dozen small mullet…nice lollipop sized baits

Headed straight out and settled on the far edge of the channel in around 7m, tide was an hour from high
and just a little current so out with the flashers and a mullet on a strayline. Was not long before Gods
little green apples showed up (Kahawai) and we had some fun. First run on the mullet and Ben was in, I
coached him to be slow and steady and he was rewarded with a nice big copper flash below the
surface…not a bad way to start

This was followed by a steady trickle of kahawai, gurnard and snaps. I was more than impressed with the
famous Kaipara carrots, big, fat and feisty. The biggest of the bunch picked up one of my snapper baits, a
ky fillet on a big 10/0 J hook. Even pulled a bit of string and had me guessing what the hell it was till it all
came up red

Given my experiences on the Manukau and even east coast and also from other reports, I really
expected to have to wade through a lot of smaller and undersized snaps to get some decent keepers.
Unless we have had a very slow day we try to only keep snaps over 32cm, no problem here. In total we
caught 10 snaps, only 3 of them were below our limit and the rest measured out at 39, 43, 44, 49, 50, 51 and 51. Gurnard 38 to 45cm and all medium sized ky.

All fish were very fat and have been feeding up large. Snaps had loads of mussel shells in their stomachs
and one had a huge mantis shrimp in him, gut cavities packed with fat . Checked some weights against
the measure/weight calculator, 51cm snap calculates at 2,53kg....we will need to call weight watchers,
these snaps came in at around 3,5kg. As I said, these fish are very well conditioned.

All round an awesome day, one hell of a benchmark to start off with and it sets future expectations very
high. My first trip to the Kaipara was an awesome one and it definately wont be my last.
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:40pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Did a cut and paste from a word doc and text came out looking like some wierd poem....
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:48pm
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Great report and good reading, well done on some nice fish
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kindred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 9:23pm
kindred View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice report and upps to fish whisperer who has given us many fishy tales and shared experiences
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 9:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It was a great weird poem though :)

Nice report. Have to agree The Fish Whisperer does som e great stuff alright

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 10:01pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now thats what i call fishing. What a great day out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 5:09pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

We decided to got out Thursday as well to beat this current storm & enjoyed glorious weather, however we launched from Mungakura on the other side.

Altho we did not do as well as you, we agree the fish were in great condition, fat as & highly coloured, however we were being troubled a lot of the time by endless sharks, a ray or two along with more KY than
ideal, with the gurnard proving elusive until Richard employed his special gurnard technique (sorry cannot reveal without his permission)
began bring them on board & big ones at that.

Using my standard technique I only managed one smaller carrot but found a certain amount of redemption from having accounted for the bulk of the snapper.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 6:27pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice one Shaun

Good to see you made it out there Smilegotta love the condition of Kaipara Snaps alright, very very fat and this time of year is the best time for a good stream of nice size fat fish coming up constantly.

Carrots will be turning up in waves down at Gurnard gully soon and Trev's in the middle ground to, the Kaipara is such a great fishery lets hope it stays that way. 

Tight lines