Bleedin' fish blood

Page  <1 234
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 7:20pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I tried making 2litre salt ice blocks (a bit saltier than sea water). When I was ready to put fish in the bin I added some sea water.
It actually made a layer of sea water freeze in the bottom of the bin and the gurnard I caught froze too.
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:13pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

...and if you haven't got a launch like Cpt Swish usually fishes out of, you don't have room for two chilly bins!
Pouring sea water into a chilly bin with bottles of frozen salt water (or, I imagine blocks of frozen salt water) causes the fish to suspend more or less weightless rather than sit hard against the bottles - which stay on the bottom.And the water chills down very quickly. Time you get home, it's hard to keep your hand in the water it's that cold.
i used to buy salt ice but haven't noticed any difference in flesh quality since switching to frozen bottles.
On the subject of salt ice, I think the commercial flake stuff the Westhaven charter skippers get by the bin load from Sanfords is way, way better than the bagged stuff you get at most fishing shops.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 9:45am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sry to regrees.. dont get much time on internet at the moment..
A double bevel achieves much the same result as convex edging.
 Down side to form a good 2x bevel edge take quite some skill.. or a jig, and to maintain well, more work

People who can use a steel well end up with that result too.

Correct..Common misconception, a steel puts a new edge on.. no it simply straightens out the burr...those who dont realise this end up as above with a extra bevel , then have issue to getting a new edge quick.. blade wears out fast.

I think the best thing about sharpening with the intent to create a convex edge is that it is easier and quicker to create a burr (which a hell of a lot of people never manage to achieve with a stone) 
The burr.. its all about forming the burr BEFORE turning to the other side.. be it on a stone or convex.. Once get down to the final stropping on 1200 plus grit, burr gets too fine to feel.. And if sharp? lot fancy methods.. best is simply the thumb nail same as a fish hook... you can check quick and easy the full length of the blade.

2litre salt ice blocks
 As mentioned in previous posts we tried blocks of ice different sizes etc.. issue was as fish mount up in the bin.. messy to move blocks around , put inside gut cavity .. and  having fish , or any meat lay in water , not an option.
 Hence going to the smaller freezer packs couple bigger ones, and smaller ones between and inside gutted fish. Plus no messing around filing containers , dropping out into bin, and freezer pack stack easy into a small space in the freezer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:47pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another angle on keeping fish in prime condition 

Have noticed some people when sorting through fish them will often drop or throw them back into the bin or drop them onto the deck. Discussed this with a fishing mate.
I suggested that could bruise the flesh. He thought that a dead fish could not bruise. Dont know the answer to that. I prefer to handle fish carefully,placing them and not dropping. Can rough handling  cause inferior fish.?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 9:00pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don’t know the answer, but why would you throw your dinner around? Similar thought, people who take their fish out the chilly bin for whatever reason and put them on a sizzling hot deck. We all know how little cooking fish requires. I prefer that my fish aren’t half-cooked when I get them home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 3:21pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I recently watched a guy do the spinal tap thing to a snapper, like what is done to tuna for the Japanese market in particular as I understand.
I.e. a cut to the head just above the eyes and a rod inserted (he actually did it with a piece of 200lb mono) down the spinal column. The nerve twitch and death was easy to see as a ripple down either side of the spine as the rod went down.

So then I would assume the process would be a blow to the head causing immediate brain death, then a spinal tap to stop all nerve action, before a throat cut to bleed out?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 2:48pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On Saturday gutted ,gilled and washed in salt water 5 snapper.
Probably less than two minutes per fish. Certainly quicker and easier than doing it at home.  Clean fish out of the bin and into the fridge . 
Page  <1 234