Bleedin' fish blood

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 2:55pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

Where is that?
Gulf Harbour Marina
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 9:54am
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Where is that?

Gulf Harbour Marina

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hbcoeinpjoalzc/20180121_123842%5B1%5D.mp4?dl=0

Gulf Harbour Marina.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 1:11pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Nice clip BRMBRM ....

I watched a guy on the pier who was lying flat on his stomach trying to grab a large snapper by the tail, which was surely a dumb thing to do, considering the fish are in a feeding frenzy & a big bad boy snapp could easily bite off several fingers if mistaking them as food !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 8:39am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My neighbour dropped off 2 ky last night.just filleted them and beautiful white flesh.guts still in.just ripped gills out.no blood lines.so curry fish green peppers tonight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 9:45am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its going a bit off topic but....

- I use 3 x 2 litre ice cream containers of salt water, filled at the end of one trip and frozen for the next. Then add water to get the cold slury

Good thinking Brmbrm. I will try that if I can remember to get the water before heading home. 
I have filled a few plastic 1 litre orange juice and Ribena bottles with salt water and frozen them to take on trips. I choose empties which are a much heavier grade of plastic than milk bottles, and fit sideways in the chilly bin. The salt bottles stay colder longer than bottles of fresh water. And when salt water is added to the bin out on the sea, the snapper chill down really well by the time we get home. But some salt ice your way would be mint, I reckon.
My iki technique (on snapper) could do with some improvement, though. I have read several different techniques and they differ in placement. Sometimes I wonder if my trout technique of a lead-infused wooden club to the head would be best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 9:57am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Update from me. I gutted and scaled two pannies as soon as they came out the water yesterday evening. Not the easiest thing on the ski, but doable. Filleting at home was a dream, very fast and my knife blade will last 10x longer without the need for sharpening. Also, since I package up the heads/frames for giveaways there was zero fishy waste to stink out the bin. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 10:34am
Titanium
Titanium

dumb question perhaps...but re the knife staying sharp, is that due to not having to slice through scales, MB?
I curve up and over the rib cage when I fillet, never enter the gut cavity. But we enjoy the skin on, for sure. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 10:44am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No dumb questions, I want to learn too. Yes, no scales to blunt the knife. I fillet my fish like you by the sounds of things. Obviously, when the fish has scales on, I try to avoid knife to scale contact, but it's inevitable to some degree.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:57pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks mate, makes sense.

Personally, with the clock ticking on my time away from home I'm better off in terms of brownie points in getting back to shore and into the driveway at home before starting all the clean up, including filleting etc - the kids like to take part in that.

So for me the focus is very much on chilling down effectively. The comms guys stack snapper vertically in flake salt ice, and I figure if that's a good indicator of what fussy international customers demand.

Hard to believe that when I was a kid the fish got dropped into a wet sack in the stern, and that was that. We've come a long way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 1:22pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha, me too! Always looking at the clock. A wet sack in still better than what some folk are currently doing!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 5:59pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Hard to believe that when I was a kid the fish got dropped into a wet sack in the stern, and that was that. We've come a long way.

Yep. which takes us back to the beginning of the thread. After 6 hours or so in the wet sack the kahawai & trevally would be spoiled and the snapper only half spoiled. Hence the myth snapper are the only fish worth eating and kahawai/trevally are only good for bait!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 7:36pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Haha, me too! Always looking at the clock. A wet sack in still better than what some folk are currently doing!

Yep agreed ... no disrespect intended but in the early days the method was commonly referred to as the "Maori  fridge"

However to be fair, a wet sack with a couple of frozen bottles of water
enclosed, placed somewhere out of the direct sun where there was a passing breeze did a remarkable job of chilling fish & rightfully so, as is the basic principal applied in most refrigeration.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 6:11am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

...but re the knife staying sharp, is that due to not having to slice through scales, MB?...

I think the scale make skinning it easier, so if i want skinned fillets i just scale a narrow strip down the top of the fish, and the underside, so the knife doesn't have to cut through the scales (and then get the tip into and under the skin, so you slice upwards through the skin).

If I want fillets with skin on then descale on the boat - they go everywhere....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 6:14am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If skinning why would you be cutting through scales??knife down back bone leaving attached at tail,lay fillet flat run knife up between flesh and skin,no need to be touching scales!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:06am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Update from me. I gutted and scaled two pannies as soon as they came out the water......

clean bin clean fillet board..
 The knife edge... I changed some yrs ago from flat stone formed edge to a working convex edge..about 30 deg just out from the handle to 22/ 25 deg out to the tip.
 Edge formed on 1200 grit wet dry paper laid over sheet sponge material like the yoga mats, then stropped like a cut throat razor.  This is the type of working edges knives like svord have.
 Best to have a quality steel knife to start with.. I have green river knives. Couple wipes after 10 or so fish brings the edge straight back up.
 I slice steep angle back into the head, pick up as much meat as possible.. then from just above tail in the fold of skin to head, like BB above (against the lay of scales.. a trick a chef member on these forms showed me) then back down, peel back fillet to then over the back bone. Up thru the rib cage pins (hence 30 deg working edge on that part of the knife) Tip of the knife edge up slide under rib cage, twist and lift removes the ribs.
Skin peeled, rather than a V to cut out the pins.. slice top side of pins, cut fillet in half, the slice pins off the bottom 1/2.
 Fillets sliced in 1/2s give a nice long one for fry/ batter/ crumb.. the other pieces ideal for 'bites' curries, stir frys. etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:47am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Update from me. I gutted and scaled two pannies as soon as they came out the water......

Edge formed on 1200 grit wet dry paper laid over sheet sponge material like the yoga mats, then stropped like a cut throat razor.  This is the type of working edges knives like svord have.

One day I'll have to pay you a visit for a lesson in sharpening convex edges, Steps. I have two Svords (one fillet, one boning) and just can't get it right, despite watching tutorials on YouTube etc of the 'mouse mat' and sandpaper method. Very frustrating and the more I try, I seem to make the edge more blunt!
So I've reverted to my carbon steel Victory which I can keep sharp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:22am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very welcome m8.. be glad to help where can..also make a mean flat white expresso to.
 Have just pout the place on the market.. so all going well moving soon.
 I have also converted the kitchen knives to convex.. includes couple old late 60s carbon steel green river knives.
 PM sent
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:54am
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A double bevel achieves much the same result as convex edging. People who can use a steel well end up with that result too. I think the best thing about sharpening with the intent to create a convex edge is that it is easier and quicker to create a burr (which a hell of a lot of people never manage to achieve with a stone) 

And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nick22009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 5:50pm
Nick22009 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bruce Duncan recommends a 5 minute bath in an ice cold salt water slurry after iki and then transfer to another chilly bin with flaked salt ice and cover completely.

Problem with blocks of ice is they don't transfer the chill factor as quickly as all ice isn't touching the surface of the fish.

Also, large blocks of ice actually bruise the fillets if you just through fish upon fish in the chilly bin on top of them.

Anyway, bit pedantic approach, but as long as you throw em in salt ice after an iki, I ain't had a paroblemmmm 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 6:34pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Nick22009 Nick22009 wrote:

Bruce Duncan recommends a 5 minute bath in an ice cold salt water slurry after iki and then transfer to another chilly bin with flaked salt ice and cover completely.

Problem with blocks of ice is they don't transfer the chill factor as quickly as all ice isn't touching the surface of the fish.

Also, large blocks of ice actually bruise the fillets if you just through fish upon fish in the chilly bin on top of them.

Anyway, bit pedantic approach, but as long as you throw em in salt ice after an iki, I ain't had a paroblemmmm 

I agree salt ice is better but its $$$$.  Well, $
Page  <1234>