Bleedin' fish blood

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bleedin' fish blood
    Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 5:29pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Bleeding fish effectively, and humanely?
This is what I currenlty do, but looking for improvements...

1. Half sized baseball bat to the head (of the fish)
2. Sever main artery across base of throat/gills while fish is put head down into the submerged through-transom burley container
4. Wait for a few minutes until heart stops pumping, put fish into salt ice chillybin

I do this hoping to achieve:

1. A humane and instant kill, via baseball bat to the brain
2. Full bleed out, since the heart continues to pump well after brain death
3. Fast bleed out, with heart pumping and seawater immersion/flow
4. No blood in the boat, as the fish head is submerged as it bleeds into the sea, especially with fish like tuna (that seem to defy physics and contain more blood than physically possible - especially when flicking a gill bleed around!   )

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 5:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Not sure on the brain dying before the heart stops. The pumping heart is driven by a signal from the brain. I just cut their throats. I'm pretty sure it's no less traumatic than being bitten in half by a shark. I do think a knock to the head is the most humane and while it stuns them I doubt it kills them. I have a new bat for that very purpose. I only bleed bigger kahawai and albacore. Trevally & kings may benefit though
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 6:03pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The heart keeps beating beyond brain death, well beyond in some cases. True of humans, frogs and fish, and no doubt many animals in between. 

Your logic is sound Espresso. Keep doing what you're doing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 6:12pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you cab gut a fish and pull the heart out and it will keep pulsating.
We have found bled them (KY) out more or less as above...and rather than cut throught, just gut them out. Which seems to be a better result.. be it bleeding or simply not having a dead animal with the gut still inside..
 Sort of what happens at the meat works
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 6:33pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For me, iki spike, then cut the gills at the bottom (nearest the front end).  In a bucket of water for 5 minutes or so, then on the ice.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 8:33pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

For me, iki spike, then cut the gills at the bottom (nearest the front end).  In a bucket of water for 5 minutes or so, then on the ice.

x2, I do all fish this way other than tuna where I insert a knife just behind the pectoral fins as well.
I have also read that once you iki jimi there is no need to bleed the fish as any blood will flow to the head.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 11:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

x2, I do all fish this way other than tuna where I insert a knife just behind the pectoral fins as well.
I have also read that once you iki jimi there is no need to bleed the fish as any blood will flow to the head.

I don't always bleed kahawai but I often iki them. Their fillets are still bloody
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 1:20am
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

I don't always bleed kahawai but I often iki them. Their fillets are still bloody

Each to there own I guess Smudge.  The link below is from another forum I frequent.  Half way down is a comment from Canarvonite who is a pro fisherman.

Edit:
Link doesn't work properly so the following is a cut and paste of the comment from Canarvonite:

"If you have spiked them properly you don't need to bleed them. Just look at all the line professionally caught snapper on the market and find one that has been bled. All it does is allow an entry point for bacteria to enter and start the flesh rotting"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 6:51am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I keep mine alive, take them home and make them listen to the missus talk about her work�£
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 7:57am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 9:49am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by PE Pete PE Pete wrote:

I keep mine alive, take them home and make them listen to the missus talk about her work�£

That's just torture, I'm calling PETA LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 5:09pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Yeah poor fish! So I'm guessing PE Pete bleeds his fish through their ears?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 5:53pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Yeah poor fish! So I'm guessing PE Pete bleeds his fish through their ears?

Lol....
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 7:18pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sometimes when I iki snaps, later on when filleting them, theres heaps of blood in the fillets.... whats going on, other times no blood in the fillets
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 9:20am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Sometimes when I iki snaps, later on when filleting them, theres heaps of blood in the fillets.... whats going on, other times no blood in the fillets

Probably the accuracy of the iki? When done properly, my understanding is that the majority of blood should retreat into the gut area.

There are immediate signs that you have got it right/wrong with iki'ing. I can tell every time when a Tarakihi is done because they do a big gill flare and their mouths go :O
Things to look for with most fish are the gills flaring wide open, and a momentary body spasm/"clenching" that almost immediately relaxes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 10:27am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I iki all my fish - but that's because I'm in the water with them spearfishing.

When targeting kingfish I generally stay close ish to the boat and shoot, iki and then back to the boat to cut the gills and bleed.

FYI - I gut-shot one kingfish (bad shot placement) and it ripped off the spear and swam away but it's heart was still attached to the spear flopper.  The heart was beating and the fish still swam off into the murk (couldn't see how long for).

I've got a bit better at shot placement (and playing my fish on the spear) since then but it shows how they keep going ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 12:09pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here is an Anglicised Japanese site on a similar topic which may be worth a browse.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 8:44pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

Here is an Anglicised Japanese site on a similar topic which may be worth a browse.

Wow.  Not sure i am up for the wire down the spine bit....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote speckledknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 11:32pm
speckledknob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

....How important is bleeding? 

To me even unbled Kahawhai tastes fine as long as its fresh. And the dark bits don't taste any worst than the light bits - to me.... But I'd never eat it after its been in the fridge for 5 days like I would snapper. 
Does it just help with how long it lasts or what?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 7:43am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We messed around with bleed and un bleed a few yrs ago. Cooking and smoking
 As you say so long as fresh...cant tell the difference.. mind you we do shave the dark meat off.
Then as stated way back in the thread we started to gut out the fish before going in the bin, fillet at home.
 Iki 1st or simply cut the gills gut straight didnt make any difference to taste.
 That be snapper ky whatever, that has been the huge game changer.. taste and how long keeps in the fridge.
Page  123 4>