Plywood boat build

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plywood boat build
    Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:38pm
PaulD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello fellas....
Been awhile and i still havent got a boat so building a cheap flat bottom punt jon boat for the river fishing hunting etc got free plan on internet hanuus plans.....wondering if anyone got any ideas on a good alternative glue than epoxy for boat building ....since epoxy costs the earth will have to use it for laying the fibreglass etc....but if theres a cheaper glue that i could used for the seams joints etc be good to know.....cherz for any advice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:39pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Epoxy is your only real option if you want the boat last more than a couple of weeks.
Yes its expensive.... but what part of boating isnt. In the grand scheme of things,  a couple of hundred spent on a few liters of West Systems and silica powder to cove out ya joints before applying glass tape is money well spent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:59pm
PaulD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks schampy yea i figured epoxy was guna be the best im new to boat building thought there may a cheaper alternative.....
But your right definitely dont want it falling apart halfway across the river....theres norski brand of epoxy down here where i live do u know much about it?.....its $200 for 5litres seems little bit pricey....cherz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 9:01am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Epoxy is the strongest.
 in saying that there are still a lot of well used ply/ polyester dinghies around after many decades...

If a plank is all that is needed to cross a stream.. do you need to build a harbour bridge?

If a beam in a house of say 6x 4" meets requirements should you put a 10x 6" in?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 1:05pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I built a plywood stitch and tape Canadian canoe around 20 years ago using Cascamite. Comes as a powder that you mix with water to form a water based resin. The hull seams are covered in exopy and fibreglass tape but the rest of the boat is assembled with Cascamite. None of the glue has ever let go. I probably wouldn't rely on it under the water line but above that I would use it again quite happily.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 3:00pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have used the norske brand,its all the same,west system and east. crc did one called resimax,bloody good fairing compound.   if you can build a 8 ft punt using epoxy and glass for under a grand reccon youve done well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 3:31pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I recon you would have alot of change from a grand..... The ply -a couple of hundred if you go bs1088. Epoxy and some 80mm glass tape for the joints. 
You dont have to fill and fair. Ideally you can seal the ply with a couple of coats of resin before going over it with some cheap oil based house paint.(Olive drab of course).A couple of wooden strips glued along the bottom of craft help prevent ware and tear to the hull as its dragged up muddy riverbanks, over logs and through swamps etc. 
Flat bottom punts are a very good option if you are a duck shooter.  (you had better get building, 1st wkd in may is coming up.
Stability is everything.... Sitting in a small v bottom craft with a fat excitable Labrador and a loaded 12g can be interesting to say the least.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 7:04pm
PaulD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for replys fellas and advice.....i got some merantti marine ply today 2 9mm sheets and 2 6mm sheets...thats what hanuus plans said but now im wondering the 15ft 8 inch punt maybe bit big to throw onto trailer etc lol.... so im looking for some smaller plans maybe 13ft or i mite ask hanuu if i can shorten it somehow to 13ft if i find his email....im keen to get into alright cherz for your advice guys awesome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 5:04pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bateau.com has plans for a GF12 or GF14. 12 to 14 foot jon boat. Runs on a 10-15hp. West System can be had from the fibreglass shop for about $20 a litre in bulk. 

I wouldn't cheap out on materials if you want it to last. You can put off the motor purchase till later, or get a 2.5hp till you can afford it, you can use cheap paint or expensive polyurethane, you can get an old trailer.

But you are stuck with the plywood and resin for as long as you have the boat. I'd get quality West System myself or save up until I could afford it. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 5:56pm
Platinum
Platinum

I’ll just say this last thing. I built a little dinghy last year and have a few learnings or regrets.

I built it heavy about 5kg more than I needed to. Still weighs 40kg including the dinghy wheels (5kg) and I can lift it out of the water up a ramp no worries. I don’t really regret this but if I was doing it again I’d shave off a couple of kilos easy. Most first time builders overbuild, and I have since learnt that the design weight for a plan tends not to include all the heavy things that people like to put in or on their boats. Big smile

I picked the wrong plans. So I have a little displacement dinghy where for not much more I could have built a Jon boat twice the size. At the time I was thinking small outboard. But I could have bought a bigger one later. I’m stuck with the boat, until I build the next one. 

I could have spent a bit more time on finishing work. I regret this when l look at it in the garage. On the water I couldn’t care less.

I built it out of the best materials I could afford and exactly what the design specified. A lot of engineering goes into a good boat plan. That was a good choice. I have a lot of confidence in it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:28pm
PaulD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for info mate...yea the bateau jon boats would be perfect the plans dont seem to expensive either ....
i liked the look of hanuus 15ft punt just looks like a simple no frills get job done boat and being free plans was even better....I've bought merrantti marine ply so i will get some good epoxy to probly will only need round 5litres....

Anyway im still kind of looking at other plans havent made my mind up quite yet .....

But im after a smallish boat...easy to build ..powered by small ob.....stable...good load carrier...two adults large dog and deer if im lucky enough....mainly for bit of river fishing ...and getting across the river to hunting spot with dog etc...bit dogdey in kayak with dog going across river😊

Anyway cherz for your good advice great help..

Cherz Paul D

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:47pm
Platinum
Platinum

I had a look at those plans. They would do the job. I have three bateau plans and they have a bit more detail, including options, fibreglassing scantlings and building notes. 

Just how small are you after? I say this as stability comes with size. Two adults, guns and a dog is a big load. Definitely want a flat bottom. Easier to build and more load capacity and stability. I would recommend a set of fold up dinghy wheels at the back. Makes launching and retrieving much easier. If it was me I'd build the GF14 over that skiff. The plans are worth the extra imo. Bowdidge marine designs is the other guy. Sharp looking boats.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 10:42pm
PaulD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yea bowdidge boats look good allright....tropic 12/14 looks good
Hannu emailed me back said i can shorten his punt to under 14ft he gave me a formula which is taking me a bit to work out lol....anyway can be done ...
Got close to buying 11ft garvey plan by bateau seemed to need little material and good load capacity...
Will check the 14 ft one out to and like your wheels idea to man cherz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 9:01am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very good advice from One Way Traffic.
Paying extra for plans of a proven design is not expensive. It can give you a better boat and one that will work safely in NZ conditions.
Your plan for river work excludes some of the best Kiwi designs such as the Pelin Nomad -  http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?171585-Frank-Pelin-12-quot-Nomad-build - or the Hartley Spearfish -  http://www.hartley-boats.com/spearf.html - both 12 footers that will carry the load and work well for sea fishing trips of the coast, but their vee hull may make river work difficult.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 1:20pm
PaulD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Don....yea im getting good advice really appreciate it...
I understand the importance of getting good plans and the cost shouldnt really matter
...i thought hannus 15ft punt looked quite practicable and simple to build and was in my budget of materials to buy etc...but its not a proven hull like other designers .... being free plans could put people off☺......

Still trying to decide what way or design to go with.....so far its....bateau 12ft jon...11ft garvey....hannus punt ....and a couple box shaped jon boats from different designers ....even thought about a couple john welsfords designs.....im kind of going towards a smaller boat maybe two man ...

anyway i will keep searching if anyone knows of some other designs that mite suit me be much appreciated ....

Thanks again Paul

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 1:37pm
Platinum
Platinum

I would go for the GF12/14 over the GV11 any day. The vee bottoms only advantage is for going smoothly through a chop. The GV will be more money and time to build (you need a jig to build a vee bottom and that costs extra and takes longer) all for a boat that will not do your main purpose as well (deeper draught, less initial stability) The GF14 can be built using the same number of sheets of ply as the GF12 if you are careful with it. 

The cost of the plans will be about 5% the cost of the finished boat. Best way to save money is with an old outboard, or use paddles. 

I know that people have loaded three divers in a GF12 and taken it to sea. I also have seen photos of a GF16 out 5miles in the Gulf of Mexico, so it can go outside if you pick your days and don't push it too far. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PaulD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 8:59pm
PaulD View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks mate thats good to know they took the wee 12ft jon boat out diving would have to be good seas....
Cherz for tips the 12ft jon boat would probly do everything i need....
I brought the wrong size ply tho need a couple 12mm sheets instead i got 9mm hopefully they do swap back lol if i decide on that plan .....cherz

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 8:22am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Paul, the challenge of picking your design/plans.
Lots and lots of choice.
You should be able to build the GF12 out of 9mm. Maybe get 12mm for the flat bottom.
Note the Hartley and Pelin hulls I mentioned above a built with 6mm plywood. 
Keep the boat light for your use. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 8:43am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd be looking at the 12/14ft Bowdidge designs. I originally ordered a set of Bateau plans but the Bowdidge are so much easier to follow for the amateur builder.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gkglazer@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 8:56am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Haven't built a boat but have made a few kayaks.  When you lay up the glass be pedantic with removing any excess epoxy.  When using epoxy less = more and the minimum amount of epoxy needed creates a stronger bond and lighter vessel.   You will probably have to pour on just as much to saturate the glass cloth but scrape off as much as possible afterwards (without turning it milky). 
Page  12>