Now intending Tax Rec Boaties a Transport Tax

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Now intending Tax Rec Boaties a Transport Tax
    Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 1:47pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yesterday Twyford introduced legislation to Parliament for a 
10c /L tax on diesel and petrol
for max 10 yrs 
on Aucklanders
To be paid  for by distributers when they deliver to service stations and commercial sites.
 This is expected to generate $150 to $175 mil for Auckland transport project

“Under the Bill, Auckland Council must first consult with residents on the proposed projects it wishes to fund. It must then obtain Government approval before the regional fuel tax can be implemented,” Twyford says.

Also expected to become law in the next few months with Aucklanders , paying from  1st July 2018.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:14pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't you just love living in Auckland.

I can still remember the way it used to be.  

It's sure a mess now..Cry

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:15pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another revenue gathering rort. Auckland motorists didnt cause congestion. Govt policy and lack of forward planning largely did.

If this is a congestion tax,then why are electric cars that are also part of the congestion not paying anything.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:07pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep I'm sure the pumps at the marinas will have this tax too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:55pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The thing is Auckland is suffering the effects of decades of poor planning and lack of investment.  Central government won't pay to sort it out, so the money has to come from somewhere.  If it wasn't a fuel tax then rates would have to go up massively.

Personally I think Auckland council is not fit for purpose, and fixing crap infrastructure should come before lots of other projects and expenses.  Been a lot in the papers this week about whether council workers should fly economy, premium economy or business class.  Why the hell are they flying anywhere?  And why are there so many council staff earning $100k plus?  Look at all the events the council fund, all great fun for those involved but not really core council business.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 8:54am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sry little blunt here
 We can piont fingers / blame
 We can name call it

Bottom line..
 Because the INTRODUCED legislation  that is going to be rushed thru parliament...
And that it is charged at the tanker delivery...
Is going to include marine use, farm use, bulldozer use, aircraft use.

It is being introduced .. not passed..
We can sit back and be keyboard warriors or start to make noises to MPs
Goff, even right to news desks, media.

There are very small handful of members here who do far more than just make posts in forums.
 The tax regardless will come in..

But to have it come in to also include non road transport sectors...

This is wrong, enough ppl start to write letter, put in objections...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 1:50pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The government (current and previous) want immigration to prop up it's financial growth. Immigration in NZ unfortunately means Auckland growing unsustainably fast because the government has done nothing to try shift the growth to areas that could use it much better. The council can't keep up with the growth and appear to have little real idea. The ratepayers get hit harder and harder for funding and in deteriorating living standards. The people of Auckland mostly hate what the growth is doing to their once very liveable city that gets worse and worse by the month now. Council needs more and more money to fight the fires and much of it is wasted because the growth is way too fast.

So Aucklanders are the people suffering in every which way at the hands of a government policy designed to help increase government income, and what do we get told - it's an Auckland problem so we are going to make you pay for the fixes. If it's my problem and I have to pay for it where do I get to say turn off the bloody growth in Auckland and let's rescue what little we have left of the once much nicer Auckland.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jamesdaulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:00pm
jamesdaulton View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

For most boat users it is probably a pain in the ass, but you can already claim back the tax that relates to use of fuel on the road.  Businesses that use petrol in chainsaws, machinery, farm bikes, boats etc already 'should' be doing it as a matter of course. The new tax will be recoverable in the same way. 

For me It won't be worth bothering because I have a 30hp. But on big boats it would be worth doing. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:04pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can only claim back the fuel tax if you run a commercial boat Jamesd. Rec boaties get to 'contribute' many $millions each year to the government coffers with no rebates allowed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jamesdaulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:35pm
jamesdaulton View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bugger. I join the protesting then. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:44pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would prefer a road toll tax,If you get on at Bombay and travel on Motorway to North Shore or West Auckland no tolls,but if you get off between Mt Wellington and St lukes or Nelson st you then pay a toll.it is those areas causing the congestion,Tagit what time do you leave home to go to westhaven??how many single users using the M/w way system and what hours do they work?? I travel on the northern with work.Go from Manukau to N.s at 4.00am  get on at otihau valley 7.30am and the amount of single person cars is unbelievable and sometimes go back to the shore and return at 2.30pm and northern M/W is at a stand still with single users. surely these people could use public transport??Fuel tax will solve nothing,remember when petrol was $2.20 the public still used their cars. It will not make a difference,council needs too or should be putting more bus lanes and more buses so there is bus every 10 minutes past your door(so to speak)put the transport in place then we might be able to use it.   Tagit if a bus could get you to Westhaven in 30 minutes you would use it?? You make a good example from where you live to central Auckland.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 3:27pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

The government (current and previous) want immigration to prop up it's financial growth. Immigration in NZ unfortunately means Auckland growing unsustainably fast because the government has done nothing to try shift the growth to areas that could use it much better. The council can't keep up with the growth and appear to have little real idea. The ratepayers get hit harder and harder for funding and in deteriorating living standards. The people of Auckland mostly hate what the growth is doing to their once very liveable city that gets worse and worse by the month now. Council needs more and more money to fight the fires and much of it is wasted because the growth is way too fast.

So Aucklanders are the people suffering in every which way at the hands of a government policy designed to help increase government income, and what do we get told - it's an Auckland problem so we are going to make you pay for the fixes. If it's my problem and I have to pay for it where do I get to say turn off the bloody growth in Auckland and let's rescue what little we have left of the once much nicer Auckland.

I think that is a good summary of the situation.

You can always sell up and buy somewhere really nice in another part of the country with all the millions you have made Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 3:47pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

I think that is a good summary of the situation.

You can always sell up and buy somewhere really nice in another part of the country with all the millions you have made Smile

Definitely a possibility once the kids have got their adult lives properly underway.

PJC - Public transport only really works if it is well organised, regular, and affordable. Unfortunately that doesn't describe a lot of Auckland's public transport. After they opened the Northern Bus Lane I tried using the bus service for a while to cut down my travelling time. Was maybe just a little more costly than running the car but quite a bit quicker and what we all need to do more of. Didn't do it every day as I need a car at work sometimes but tried to do it when i could. Buss stop was maybe 100m from my office and 100m from my door at home so seemed pretty sensible. 
After not many weeks the zoning changed, ticket prices went up, half the buses I could catch no longer stopped where they used to and I was sick of sitting on busses that were broken down or waiting for busses that were running late. Bottom line is that it got too costly and the time advantage mostly disappeared after the changes. If the system was good I could use it again for maybe 75% of my commuting but I have an aversion to paying more than it costs to run my car for a very average service delivery and I guess that probably would be the opinion of a lot of other people as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 9:24pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

If you get on at Bombay and travel on Motorway to North Shore or West Auckland no tolls,but if you get off between Mt Wellington and St lukes or Nelson st you then pay a toll..............

...surely these people could use public transport??

Errr....... first, you drive more on the roads you should pay more tolls, if there are any.  Not toll free becase you drive further

Second, you tried the public transport?  Why dont you use it?  I do sometimes, sometimes not: it is basically pretty crap.  How am i meant to get to the bus?  Errr.....  I have to drive.  Useless public transport system i am afraid.

Totally hopeless investment in  infrastructure, especially the last decade or so of National's mismanagement.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 9:56pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Auckland was always going to end up this way. I moved here twenty years ago people laughed that I did not drive, you have to get a car in Auckland I was told. So here we are cars everywhere and I am actually fine with it, get serious traffic in most cities. what I don't like is pandering to a minority like cyclists etc. They be better off saving pennies in council wherever possible and looking seriously long term at alternative bridges being built akin to ones like in Scandinavia etc. But a good start would be 4 each side lanes on the Northern and Southern motorways as the Westside has had a seriously good upgrade and continuing. The Waterview tunnel has been fantastic too. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 5:59am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

If you get on at Bombay and travel on Motorway to North Shore or West Auckland no tolls,but if you get off between Mt Wellington and St lukes or Nelson st you then pay a toll..............

...surely these people could use public transport??

Errr....... first, you drive more on the roads you should pay more tolls, if there are any.  Not toll free becase you drive further

Second, you tried the public transport?  Why dont you use it?  I do sometimes, sometimes not: it is basically pretty crap.  How am i meant to get to the bus?  Errr.....  I have to drive.  Useless public transport system i am afraid.

Totally hopeless investment in  infrastructure, especially the last decade or so of National's mismanagement.

I cannot use public transport due to my start times,anywhere between 2.00am and 4.00am,but I can get home as the train station is only 100m away from work,so we need limited 24 hr service.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 7:39am
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Auckland was always going to end up this way. I moved here twenty years ago people laughed that I did not drive, you have to get a car in Auckland I was told. So here we are cars everywhere and I am actually fine with it, get serious traffic in most cities. what I don't like is pandering to a minority like cyclists etc. They be better off saving pennies in council wherever possible and looking seriously long term at alternative bridges being built akin to ones like in Scandinavia etc. But a good start would be 4 each side lanes on the Northern and Southern motorways as the Westside has had a seriously good upgrade and continuing. The Waterview tunnel has been fantastic too. 

Yep. Nearly all the transport money has been spent on improving the CBD and transport to the western suburds to the detriment of the rest.
Of course we have all had to pay the same.
The CRL is another example. It ill benefit the CBD and western suburds.
It will do nothing to help with congestion on any of the other motorways as was its fraudulent and deceitful selling points
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 10:05am
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There's no easy fix to this after being an Aucklander for 50+ years I cashed up and built a new home in Papamoa three years ago.
I'm now beginning to see a similar type of situation developing in the Tauranga area. .......the benefits of relocation, are being eaten up because of costs and inflation .
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 10:11am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Right or wrong, how , the reasons for.. we all know why the tax is going to happen
 This is not why this thread was started...
 Its about taxing boaties , and all non transport  use of fuel.. boats to chain saws, bulldozers to charter guys
 Bottom line a transport tax is going to happen.

Sry this really gets up my nose in  several ways...

For most boat users it is probably a pain in the ass, but you can already claim back the tax that relates to use of fuel on the road.  Businesses that use petrol in chainsaws, machinery, farm bikes, boats etc already 'should' be doing it as a matter of course. 
 Tagit  corrects actually who can cover who can and cant claim current tax on fuels.
 I have looked into it and hes correct

The new tax will be recoverable in the same way. 
That is an assumption.. (A55 U & ME) who can that be the case when the legislation has only just been introduced to parliament , has still got to be debated and go to select committee , then be passed  in to (some more hasty ) law

For me It won't be worth bothering because I have a 30hp. But on big boats it would be worth doing. 

And that is why we get so much bureaucratic PC BS, why things are now the way they are, coming down to us from powers to be...

Its the exact same attitude  as "its ok , I have a job now , feed the family, ( 30hp)  We are not Jewish,( Big boat) so can turn a blind eye. (would be doing nothing)

There is a very old political saying , cant rem off hand who said it now
The people get the government they deserve.. and the above is what it refers to in many ways.

Bureaucratic BS on Auckland transport...
 Think about this
 Simplest way to increase flow is to enable more vehicles on the road
 I.E  a 4 lane motorway will move more traffic quicker than  2 lane right?
 A few greenie bike riders in council  decide if build cycle ways  they can congest up roads even more and encourage more bikes.. during rush hrs.
 During rush hrs.. well they have forgotten about the rest of the day and night. 
The rest of the day the roads have be come more congested.. business on the sides of the roads no longer have parking and going bust.. residences can no longer have a dinner party.
 It has cost millions of dollars to achieve this, and now going to cost millions more to 'fix' PLUS TAX ALL FUEL be it related to transport or not

And how did this happen?
Bottom line we deserve it to happen.....

Its the exact same attitude  as "its ok , I have a job now , feed the family, ( 30hp)  We are not Jewish,( Big boat) so can turn a blind eye. (would be doing nothing)

Either we its doesnt effect us directly so sit on bums and let these PC BS ppl do this stuff.
And very brave keyboard warriors who cant even write a letter to those at the top, let alone start writing up subsmittions to the law before  Parliament/ councils... or think it is important enough to even present the submission at hearings...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 10:45am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Steps" unless you are in business related to the marine industry,Well suck it up we cannot claim the road tax/gst on marine/mower/chainsaw use.
If the tax was an extra 10c per lt it would mean $5 on 50lts,you seriously going to try to claim that back through an accountant charging what??$120 per hr

Page  12>