What to check for when buying an older boat?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Swintsnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to check for when buying an older boat?
    Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:03am
Swintsnz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there,

I am looking at buying a first boat. I'm looking at a few sea nymph v146's and just wondering what to check for. Is it ott to ask to compression test a motor at a viewing if there isn't much of a service history? what other tell tale signs could you have of whether or not you are buying a lemon?

Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:27am
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Get the motor checked by a Marine mechanic/ shop for a small fee could save you big dollars later. Especially as there is no service history.   May be they could also give it a look over for you at the same time.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Swintsnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:36am
Swintsnz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I guess I'm looking to spend around 4-5k. I wonder what it would cost to ask for a marine mechanic to check it out.

I have had mixed experiences with mechanics giving sub par pre-purchase vehicle inspections.I guess it's more a reflection of the mechanic not the process but I probably wouldn't want to pay for one myself. I am pretty mechanically minded and do all my own mechanical work on cars etc. Just asking as I have never owned a boat, or spent much time with outboard motors
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:56pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are some realy good threads in thes forums on this.
 Excellent points from many people.. what to look for , how to check.. 
Stuff from boat to motor to trailer , bearing etc.

Above is a search function put in something along the lines of 
      buying a first boat
 or buy 2nd hand boat   or older boat ..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 2:06pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you need to check that youre comfortable with a never ending list of maintenance jobs associated with a 30-40 year old boat.

if youre confident doing f/g repairs, trailer (hubs, bearings, rust removal etc), outboard/fuel/steering system repairs yourself an old Sea Nymph might be okay - in all reality pretty much every component will be well passed its useful service life and need attention

paying a bloke to regularly do the above and your initial investment will need repeating every year or two

the modern equivalent is the SeaForce 430 - you can get a 10year old boat for about 13-15k.

if you like fiddling with boats - get the v146

if you just want to go fishing - consider a Seaforce 
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 2:26pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Be aware that the hull and transom also need examination as moisture ingress is easily disguised with new gelcoat or paint ......Get a hull inspection done by someone with experience .....and yes pics are a Sea Nymph V146.
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 6:48am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

RE buying a used boat - I did this and learnt heaps and spent lots - unlike cars with WOF and daily use boats tend to sit and rot and used in salt water.....basically if you have common sense - buy privately and check out seller and boat carefully - I would pay more for a boat with a careful owner!   Have a look at motor under cowling if it looks a mess probably is!  Compression test is easy to do, yearly service either in shop or by owner essential - the owner who says never had any trouble never done anything - RUN AWAY!   Factor into to what you pay, look at a lot of boats over winter is a good time as market a bit quieter - and take boat you want to buy out for a sea trial - should start go forwards backwards, plane etc and steer ok - the number of boats I saw that where "good" but when tested did not start/go into gear/steer!....there are good boats out there also a lot of neglected over priced junk....enjoy...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sposman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 11:20am
sposman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

On an old boat consider building into the price things like steering cable, battery, anchor rope, radio, engine service, and trailer , tyres, winch, lights, any rust . These all add up and are essential parts, good luck but lots fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 11:07pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Buy a compression tester and do a check yourself at the viewing, guy shouldnt mind.

Never buy a boat you have not taken for a test drive unless its from a mate or similar you Trust.

A pretty decent engine checkout will cost around a couple of Hundy. 

Hamilton area i would give Brian @ Kings marine a call.Hes saved my ass on a second hand boat i was considering buying. Cant recommend him enough.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 2:18am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

10 year old boat/motor with 1000 hours on it is better than 10 year old boat/motor with 100 hours on it.....
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 7:10am
Grasshoppa View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Titahi Titahi wrote:

10 year old boat/motor with 1000 hours on it is better than 10 year old boat/motor with 100 hours on it.....

beg to differ on that......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 10:02am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Remember looking at a boat in the late 90s.  Took a friend along to look at it. He quickly said it would be a good boat. Why i asked.. Firstly the boat was spotless,and kept in the garage.  The cars were kept outside. So boat had first priority. Everything in that garage was in place ,tidy and looked after.A good sign.The seller was open and could answer any question openly.Body language showed he was honest.
Purchased that boat. Not a problem for the whole 9 years i owned it.
Lesson was , look at the boat and how it was looked after,look at and talk with the owner. That will tell you even more.

And after that to be sure. Do take it for a sea trial.This will show up any leaks,note how it starts,how engine sounds and runs. Do check service record.
Any doubt then forget it. A boat is a big outlay of capital.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 1:31pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Grasshoppa Grasshoppa wrote:

beg to differ on that......

Fair chop, I shopuld have expanded.....

I would rather purchase a motor used  2nd every weekend for 10 years, as opposed to a motor wheeled out 2-3 times per year.... 

Buying the seller as mentioned above in the example where the boat and garage suggest meticioulous owners is also a good point.
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:37am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would rather purchase a motor used  2nd every weekend for 10 years, as opposed to a motor wheeled out 2-3 times per year...

Only exception if has been winterized each winter.. more common for lake boats/
 Engines/cars be it classic vintage whatever that stand for a while often have issues that behind the scenes create more friction due to dry walls, and in many cases gasket/ diaphragm/seals issues. Most can be avoided by oil change, pre lubing cylinders etc
I have often wondered about this with 4 strokes, and dry  cam lobes???
If cam not correctly lubed on assembly, or left to dry, damage is caused in the 1st 5 to 20 secs of turning over.. and noticed 3000/ 5000 miles later.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:58am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got what ya meant. No need to be so literal peeps haha. I guess if its a what to look for we better though.

You meant a well serviced high hours engine vs an engine thats sat around ceasing. I read 10000 hours at first and I was like Bro you really trying to make your point there hehe.

Cant add much, all been said, deck, transom softness etc. Tap it with your nuckles and a wrotten one will sound less high pitched.

Also keep in mind, if something is wrong with the boat, depending on what it is (hull and transom id walk away), gives you buying leverage. TRY to find faults and write them down on a piece of paper, just say to the guy I have to go away and cost these repairs (quickly flash the list with 20 fictitious faults, jokes, real ones). Do your home work, and if it seems they arent going to cause you a headache, give him a price minus 10% minimum plus the price of the repairs. Thats if you want to get a bargain. It is winter as well, so you have the season on your side.

Kiwi sellers tend to have their head in the clouds when it comes to selling used goods on trademe, and it doesnt help that trademe rips us off. Where in Aus people are so much easier to haggle a good price with. But it depends on the person, this is another point, if hes prickly and all, just forget him, plenty of boats out there. Dont rush it.

In Aus they have a mobile boat inspector service much like we do with an AA report for a car. I bought a Signature 492f, paid $70, the guy spent about an hour surveying the boat, left me with a detailed description including engine condition like compression ratios. Turned out it had a few gel coat scrapes and that was it. One thing that didnt show up was old fuel which I ended up burning out the smokey stally long hard way as I didnt know the fuel had gone off. But once I got to my second tank of fuel, the thing was doing 40 knots with one of the grey 2 stroke 75hp Suzukis. The only issue with that boat being a cabin with screen, it wouldnt fit in the garage, eventually had to sell it due to body corp complaint. Much like the issue im trying to avoid with my current winter boat Im looking for.

I dont THINK there is a service like that here? but most boat mechanics know about glass. Either that or have a boat builder check it out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:59am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tap it with your nuckles and a wrotten one will sound less high pitched. 
 Damn .. NEVER do that.. you will  miss a hell of a lot.. a good sized screw driver with a solid (not rubber ) handle.. and a solid thump.. not one that you pull the hit as it hits..

In Aus they have a mobile boat inspector service
 Bloody Aus again.. if they are so damn good go back there.
 Getting sick of correcting your misinformation based on opinion only..

I dont THINK there is a service like that here?
 Yes we do, and have very experienced people on these forum who also do so.
 A simple forum search..(search button above) as suggested in a post above will show hat , and lot excellent hands on stuff..
 Also note the thread is couple months old.. original poster has not come back with further question.. most probably do the obvious thing... used the forum search button

OH well another incorrect misinformation  "opinion" corrected for the record.
 will be interpreted as "troll" again..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:10pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Damn .. NEVER do that.. you will a hell of a lot.. a good sized screw driver with a solid (not rubber ) handle.. and a solid thump.. not one that you pull the hit as it hits..

Seems to be a word missing: "you will xxxx a hell of a lot"

Hard to determine the meaning of the sentence without it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:24pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Damn .. NEVER do that.. you will a hell of a lot.. a good sized screw driver with a solid (not rubber ) handle.. and a solid thump.. not one that you pull the hit as it hits..

If its bad enough, bone will make the required noise and will at least indicate some presence of wrot, but yes this was what I was going to post, but I didnt want to be responsible for somebody whacking the gel coat and marking it in front of the owner.

why would I google if we have that service in NZ, Im not looking for it, the OP will be. get off my back.

Steps stop being so damned prickly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:20pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mike edited the post.. missing word is ... miss Wink

picky? you posted up bad advice that if followed would end up missing bad panels and the buyer purchasing a dud.. maybe even sink...
 Stop posting misinformation... and for someone who has stated they have worked with glass, impression extensively, not to know poses a question of your credibility in its self
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 2:16pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I did mobile boat inspections over a 2year period, however I closed it down, as the cost of professional indemnity insurance made inspections uneconomic to proceed.
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Page  12>