Booby flies. How do you use them?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Booby flies. How do you use them?
    Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 1:52pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Someone has told me or I may have read them somewhere but these are deadly on trout around the river delta's, stream mouths and lake drop offs. 

How do you usually fish them? 'Cast and retrieve' or 'heave and leave like egg patterns'? Sinking line as they seem to float?
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 5:22pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Kenshin Kenshin wrote:

Someone has told me or I may have read them somewhere but these are deadly on trout around the river delta's, stream mouths and lake drop offs. 

How do you usually fish them? 'Cast and retrieve' or 'heave and leave like egg patterns'? Sinking line as they seem to float?

The generally accepted method Ariel is to use a fast sinking line with a short leader of maybe one to one to 1 1/2 metres with a single booby
pattern on the end. As you say they work best on drop-offs where there is enough current to hold the line out relatively straight on the bottom yet still allow the booby to move about slightly & hold off the bottom due to the floatation provided by the "Boobies"

Can fish them "heave & leave" fashion but usually an intermittent firm retrieve of a metre or so of line will cause the fly to dive towards the bottom which often induces a take, plus having the line under tension is more likely to result in a firmer hook up.

Incidentally, have sold the motorhome but am missing the freedom of being able to take off whenever the mood strikes so am looking at buying another one.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Chad51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:21am
Chad51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Back home (UK) we fish the washing line method a lot on lakes. This is a floating line with a booby on the point, then a couple of droppers underneath. This can be deadly when the fish are feeding high up. The theory is the booby creates a disturbance on the water which attracts the fish. This then draws their attention to the nymphs underneath the booby. Fish will often take the booby as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:14pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thanks for the tip Baz.

I will be in Taupo over easter for some hiking trips.. so planning on doing some lake side fishing in rest days. Got some tips about using booby. Might have to get some sinking line.

Sad to hear about departing with your motorhome, i bet you got some good memories with her. 

Be good to hatch a plan Opening day this year Baz on the good ole spot.
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:13pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Kenshin Kenshin wrote:

thanks for the tip Baz.

I will be in Taupo over easter for some hiking trips.. so planning on doing some lake side fishing in rest days. Got some tips about using booby. Might have to get some sinking line.

Sad to hear about departing with your motorhome, i bet you got some good memories with her. 

Be good to hatch a plan Opening day this year Baz on the good ole spot.

Sad to say Ariel, but the spot you refer to no longer exists as we remember it as has been decimated by repeated torrential flooding & now, along with several kms of river has been reshaped into a fast flowing canal with either steep gravel banks or log jams.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 11:04am
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Ariel, I can attest to Bazzas method, but use a sinking tip on my floating line. I tend to stand on the edge of the rip at the mouth. Heave & leave, with a quick strip every couple of minutes or when you get bored.

B.
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.