Trailerboat pulling to starboard, how to remedy?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 9:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont need to have level...just make sure have the angle of the plum bob on the boat same as the engine.

Cant go past manufactures installation instructions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 10:11am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hard to do that without removing the engine though Steps.Too much mounted in the way and it could get quite inaccurate trying to work around the engine doing it that way I think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:19am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats how I checked mine for square engine before messing/ changing the trim fin..
 Once have the horizontal line (clear area) a square up each side of the brackets and up behind the engine trim and between mounting brackets checking each for vertical and straight and in center of transom.
 Its not hard to measure between brackets at the top and bottom for center.
 Running 3 check  vertical pionts to confirm accuracy
 Its not rocket science geometry

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 1:35pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Update: Just lifted the engine two holes on the mounting plate, going to see if that changes things for better or worse. Was thinking that it may be too much, but I can always drop it down a hole dependent on the outcome of the on-water test. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 6:59pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here is the latest pic of the height of my outboard now. It is worth mentioning that the boat is on a slope with the bow facing downwards. The gap between the cavitation plate is now 50mm. I may look at installing non-feedback steering also, can anyone recommend a particular brand, or brands to avoid? Pod is 300mm set back off transom too. All feedback welcome.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:45am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jackel jackel wrote:

Here is the latest pic of the height of my outboard now. It is worth mentioning that the boat is on a slope with the bow facing downwards. The gap between the cavitation plate is now 50mm. I may look at installing non-feedback steering also, can anyone recommend a particular brand, or brands to avoid? Pod is 300mm set back off transom too. All feedback welcome.  
I know when I added a power tilt trim which moved outboard out 100mm from transom (unit went between outboard bracket and transom like a small pod) I was surprised how much I needed to lift outboard to get correct height - almost like a curve from back - further out the higher you go - as steps points out best way is to look at motor in water at cruise - cavitation plate should have droplets of water on it...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 12:13pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rule of thumb is an inch per foot of setback so looks from the pic like you could be up 2 inches and seems like you are now somewhere close to that so I would give it a try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 12:17pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It is worth mentioning that the boat is on a slope with the bow facing downwards
what angle/ slop the boat is on doesnt matter...
 It is VERY important that the straight edge that you are using is FLAT with the bottom of the boat.
 looking at how much of your straight edge is extended under the hull is in practice near impossible to hold on the plain of the hull..
 min 300mm ideal 500mm plus held up on the bottom of the hull..

Also how much you will need depends on many things, as previously explained (I think.. not going back thru posts)
 The cruising speed of the boat, the weight, and distance engine is from the rear bottom keel edge of the hull.

Also different brands have different ideal heights.. if taking the cavitation plate as the point.. a merc is different to a johnson or evinrude or yamaha.
 Merc tend to sit a little higher.

End of the day. it comes down to sea trials.. do you ventale at reasonable speed in a mid to tight turn? should be nil to maybe momentuary at normal trim.
When hit a bit of chop at cruising speed normal trim, not enough to have to slow down.. will it ventilate slightly on the bigger wave in the set?.. 
 Thats good.. and should stop with a quick press slight adjustment down on the trim... or a slight drop in speed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:31pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Would venture to say motor too low, that cut back is similar in effect to a pod, the water flows comes up from the keel so will flow above cav plate at present, as the pic posted that is the ideal with cav plate just on surface at planing speed and cruise.
had same issue with mine when I put wedges on my transom set the motor back a bit and had to lift up.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 6:42pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well sea trialed the boat today and I have all but eliminated most of the steering torque. As mentioned by the posters above at certain speeds there is a little. It is a little lively and cavitates a bit too much I think, I tried in different conditions today so I may drop it one hole. Revs have increased as has top speed, not that top speed was necessarily something I was aiming for. At 5000 I was doing 35MPH. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 10:02pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Glade you got it sorted. Top stuff 35MPH dam flying 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 1:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

5.6m Ramco with 90hp merc
 That would put your boat if motor correct height and at best trim  around 1350/1400kg gross weight, which I think is a little high. maybe indicating motor not right yet.
 I guesstimate actual weight, say 3 guys up, fishing gear, 100L fuel more like 1200/1300kg (???)
 If my guestimate gross weight is right.. say 1250kg you should have a W0T around 37mph, and would relate to engine height not right yet, or not adjusting to best trim at each speed.
At 5000 I was doing 35MPH
prop 13x 18 pitch 
  Motor yr unknown 
 on older model gearbox 2.3:1
 Thats a WoT slip around 5.5 % which is pretty good for a general use boat, with a cruise around 25mph @ 4000 rpms
Newer model merc  2.33:1  WoT 4% which is bit on low side ok
 Either , cavitation(ventilation) is not an issue yet

I have all but eliminated most of the steering torque.
 Generally takes a couple adjustments to get neutral at best cruise.

Revs have increased as has top speed, not that top speed was necessarily something I was aiming for. At 5000
 Engine spec is  5000 to 5500 
you are already on the low end, drop motor you will drop below the min 5000 rpms which means will be over loading the powerhead thru all the speed range...
which may mean going to a 17" pitch prop

If the 35mph/ 5000 rpms was not on a normal full loaded boat then as soon as you go fully loaded (as described above)  the powerhead falls out of recommended rpm range and becomes overloaded.
 Which means wrong prop selection.. drop motor makes even more wrong.
 Generally a approx 5.5/5.6m  boat well powered for best hull performance in chop etc will have a WoT laround mid 40 mph,. min best performance around the high 30s low 40 mph

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 1:57pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just a quick update for those of you interested and those who helped out. A summary so far, I have raised the outboard two holes on the mounting plate and after testing decided it was too high (as mentioned above). I have now dropped it back down one hole and I think that I have it at the best position. It has very little/if any pull to right and minimal cavitation, so with the right trim setting I am still humming along nicely. I will post speed vs revs when weather conducive to that, but consider the problem solved. Thanks to all who commented!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 2:09pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work Jackel. Lot of people just run their boats as they come and never get them optimised.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 5:37pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was thinkintg about how you where going the othjer day...
good to hear how things have been going.
 I recon it is always best to end up going 1 hole to far then droppingback.. That way you always KNOW that extra is too much, rather than always thinking .. "I wonder if.."  Espec when all the sealant etc has had the final 'coats'  etc.
 That piece of mind goes a long way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 6:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

This has been an interesting thread. I understand a lot of this stuff. My motor is too low and I have yet to sort it after 8 years ... kind of backs up what Tagit & Steps are saying.

Thanks to all the contributors - and Jackel for giving us an update. Great info!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 7:57pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Clearly the Ramco was the problem.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Page  <12