The Tamure Kid on fire

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Tamure Kid on fire
    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 1:31pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had the pleasure this morning of driving my good buddy lester (aka The Tamure Kid) around the gulf and watching him catch some really decent fish.
It is normal to show a guest a good time on your boat but Lester took this  a step further - he didnt just rub my nose in it (read pushing my face into the thawed squid infused wet livebait tank and rubbing my face in it good and proper!)
We ended up over Gardners gap chasing anchovy schools - lester was on fire with the softbaits nailing a few pannies but one very nice snapper about 60cm - i was content to drive the boat around as you do adn cast micro jigs, softies anything really but made no difference. tried a liveys but no kingfish here.
A decent wind against strong tide meant an exciting trip back to the bays - we thawed out straylining at Russells rock (yes my rock it is not called Lesters Rock - maybe will be now). 
Not surprsingly Lesters line takes off - bloody ray or shark i said - let me cut the line i said helpfully. After 15 minutes an 82cm kingfish appears - Lester on fire indeed!
Hang on my line takes off - time to save face - yes a kingfish but only 7ocm so tatar fish back over the side.
Thanks Lester - great morning

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 2:14pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Kingi. Beautiful condition.Well done you two.

Any Kahawai around the Anchovy schools.
Im heading out shortly for a change of light fish,if i can get a park at Takapuna that is. Pretty windy so not sure how far out i will go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 2:57pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Well done Lester.  Redfinger is the consumate host, but has thrashed me in the past, so win some, lose some.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:00pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cirrus - patchy small schools of Kahawaii - seemed almost more bait than prdators behind rangi today. Maybe going to go off now?
Alot of time the kahawaii have no birds with them so keep an eye out for random splashes - no big schools today for us though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:11pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers. Heading off now.Wind seems to be dropping.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 6:59pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice TK 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:16pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Well done Lester.  Redfinger is the consumate host, but has thrashed me in the past, so win some, lose some.

Thanks FQ, glad to hear you got a few this morning as well.

You are right, Redfinger is a heck of an obliging skipper, safe as houses and ensures a tightly run boat. You didn't tell me, however, about Russell's sideline job as a chiropractor. My back was well and truly re-aligned after the trip back, with Redfinger swerving to hit every wave, no doubt to punish me for mentioning that 3 x 3inch jack macks, and 2x 25cm kahawai wasn't up to the great man's reputation. As we all know, the little FC boats are soft and dry riders, but you know they had Russell at the helm when they were testing their design theories out ! Smile

Seriously, though, it was a hugely memorable morning. Now I know why they call Russell 'Hawkeye', with him spotting kahawai bust ups, and even shimmering schools of anchovies without any predators in attendance, from miles away. 
He forgot to mention the horse of a kahawai I got over by Gardners, would have given a Mokau River mouth thumper a run for its money. Though Russell did ask, after the fish zoomed off again, if my soft bait reel had a baitrunner mode, the drag appeared to be set so light!

And, just a correction. After i got my 4-year-old to pull on the kingies tail at home, it stretched out to a genuine 85cm, approaching my best. And after all my efforts targeting them with little success to date, it was bycatch on a frozen squid and a 5/0 Gammie circle hook! 

Thanks again Redfinger for a fantastic few hours on the water. and the wise words to try peeing downwind next time, not into a 15knot SWer. It's true what they say, you learn something new every day! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:19pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Nice TK 

Thanks Muppet. A trifecta of great fights with fish i won't forget in a hurry. I'll be reliving the trip in the dull parts of the working day until the next trip.

hey, you might like to know your old Cousins overhead rod is getting some good action as a trout jigging rod, as well as stints in the salt. A very nice rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:32pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TTK - You almost sound like it was deliberate on my part - the slight decelleration at the crucial approach to 2-3 capping waves having the affect of catching the port bow and channeling the rest of the wave over the forward console passenger? Actually worked even better when (sorry if )i also altered the trim at that exact moment to bury the nose enhancing the affect.  
Must admit extremely entertaining as i was sheltered behind the console and screen cracking up each time it happened while at the same time scanning ahead to find more waves to repeat the process .
Yes the peeing thing you did - havent seen too many people attempt to pee directly into 15knots of fresh south westerly before - results were predictable and i did the good thing giving you and your old fella a salt water spray blast on the way home.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 9:21pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hell hath no fury like a shamed skipper.  Any more dirty laundry to air you two?
Very considerate doing TTK's laundry RFClap
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 10:27pm
Titanium
Titanium

Not at all. In fact, i'm probably even going to wash out the fish bin he lent me (seeing as he didn't need it) before I give it back on the weekend.
But good to see you monitoring posts for possible bullying, Geoff, as a good moderator does.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 10:51pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Not at all. In fact, i'm probably even going to wash out the fish bin he lent me (seeing as he didn't need it) before I give it back on the weekend.
But good to see you monitoring posts for possible bullying, Geoff, as a good moderator does.

No bullying here .... Big smile Sounds like it was a fun day
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 7:49am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Re the Fish Bin - TTK - You may as well keep it as I seldom catch anything worthwhile to put in it!!LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 9:25am
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm glad you guys had a great morning on the water, I was out the same area in my FC390 with girl friend and her little brother, spent the whole morning baiting there hooks! 
I did manage to snag a couple of 45cm snapper on soft bait in between playing deck hand! 
The wind against the tide sure made for an interesting run back to the Takapuna boat ramp! I was happy for the 30hp on the FC390. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:09am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

TTT, next time you feel the need to face 15kts of SW wind, aim the trajectory somewhat higher, like 75 o or so, so that the missiles curve back over your right shoulder.
Am pretty sureRedfinger would alter course quick smart to have you facing downwindWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:50am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lord knows what would have happened if he wanted a NO2!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:01am
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good fun and great reading chaps! (Liked.)
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:25am
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:20pm
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Outfishing redfinger and on his boat = Legend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:27pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Clay - its not that hard to do - really.
Page  12>