Aitutaki GT Fishing

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote footey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aitutaki GT Fishing
    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 10:47pm
footey View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have trip to Aitutaki planned later in the year and keen to do some fishing for GT- appreciate any recommendations on who to book a trip with
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 8:42am
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mike Tekota on Blackpearl charters
or
Itu Davey of E2s Way
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote murrayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 1:18pm
murrayt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

#2 for Mike and Black Pearl - fished with him multiple times over the years - well set-up, good gear and a great guy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 3:08pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mike and Mere at Black Pearl are brilliant operators for GT's casting topwater onto the outer reef.

Etu Davey and his team are also excellent.

I have fished with them both on numerous occasions, top people and very knowledgeable. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 7:47pm
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm heading to raro in April, no chance of getting to Aitutaki unfortunately. In 2018 are there any operators open to jigging and topwater yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote footey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 8:45pm
footey View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the feedback guys- you given me a great starting point - cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JUST ANOTHER FISHERMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 8:59am
JUST ANOTHER FISHERMAN View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome land-base fishing, both inside the Lagoon and fishing from the outer reef. Just follow you nose and fish where the swell is flat, Be careful of the current on out going,

Fishing heavy drag, GT will bite at you feet

Here is couple links of what we produced in 4-5 days fishing.

https://vimeo.com/232600572

https://www.justanotherfisherman.co.nz/blogs/blog/grip-grin
www.justanotherfisherman.co.nz

Mr & Mrs Style Ltd.
Design / Production / Merchandising.
Small run fishing tees and Graphics available.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote footey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 9:17pm
footey View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great video and link - thanks for posting. Makes me want to be there now
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:38am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great fishing by the Style crew Thumbs Up But do be aware that it is quite common not to have any ledges fishable. A big ocean swell is normal and will wrap right around the island. Any of those ledges are extremely dangerous if the swell is up. 

There are some safe ledges inside the lagoon that will produce GT's. Also try the sand channels in the middle of the night. Some serious GT carnage goes on there when people are sleeping.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:54am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Here's a vid I did with Mike when we were up there...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote footey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 8:37pm
footey View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

thats a great video of the GT. thanks for posting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 9:18pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Try n respect the corals to, especially when walking out to the edge
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cheeko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 1:45pm
Cheeko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A mate and I fished with Itu Davey last month whilst over there on a fly fishing mission. We landed four GT's and Itu has a SERIOUS blue water fishing boat with plenty of casting space for 2-3 anglers. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NomadAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 5:42pm
NomadAngler View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've fished with Mike and Itu, can happily recommend both.

Itu has a more rounded knowledge of the place, so if you want to target bonefish as well, go with Itu.  Mike is more of an offshore guy.  If you're just after GTs, both are great.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NomadAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:21am
NomadAngler View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

And a tip, upgrade your hooks.  I found out the hard way and straightened a few trebles on some good fish.  Go good quality 4x hooks or "tropical strength". Just remember to set the hook well because of the larger gauge.  Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 11:16am
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Owner st-76 are the business💪
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote out2sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 11:48am
out2sea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was just using St-76's in Oman and missed a lot of hookups, I could tell I was striking hard enough because the points of the hooks were bending, The guide changed me over to some lighter gauge hooks(no idea what they were) from one of his lures and I landed a 20kg fish, pretty frustrating when the fishing was extremely slow for the time that we were there and I missed 6 or 7 fish on the last day 2 of which the guide called for easily 35+kg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 12:09pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've had similar issues 'points bending' with Gamakatsu gt recorders.
Yes must have been frustrating missing when so few opportunities present them selves for such magnificent fish '35kg+'
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ET487 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 11:07pm
ET487 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I never had any st 76 bends. I also not striking so violently as you saw on many videos about GT fishing. Some guys strike up to 5 times. What for?
A big GT take a popper or stick bait with such a speed you hardly need to strike as the heavy drag will set the hooks .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 3:40pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sometimes it works like that but its not always true, at least not in my experience wit them. Big GT's have very strong jaws, they can easily bite down hard on a big topwater lure, pull line off a locked drag without the hooks ever really going in... the multiple strikes are attempts to dislodge the lure from the jaws and get the hooks to grab
Page  12>