Internal anodes salty

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Internal anodes salty
    Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 1:17pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok guys. I’ve pulled the internal anodes off a few times now and ther’e always covered in salt crystals. I have used salt away and now desalt with same results. I would of thought there would be no salt? I use flush muffs for about 10 minutes, maybe less.

Has anyone looked at theirs and is this normal. Motor runs great, pumps fine and serviced. Cheers ta. Motor is DF50a Suzuki 2013.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 1:38pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Zinc tends go soft like salt crystals,grey/white flaky bits,while its been eaten away the internals are being protected,changed mine on the diesel every 12 months where they needed it or not,same as the zinc on the shaft,may look fine but always changed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 1:43pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its not salt, its a bi product of the reaction apparently.. And those anodes are available from marine deals for $4.50 instead for $20 form the dealer.

Cheers

Wefaknis
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 6:04pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Also to the above comments..
 The anoide is actually called a "sacrificial anode"
 Its made up of an alooy being aluminium, magnesuim , and a few other rather  'unstable , metals that will corode away ..
Thes more unstable metals corode before the metals of the engine start to..

The "salt" is the 'rust' of these metals.. and unlike ir\on , the oxides are white powders that flake off very easy.. They flake/rub/ fall off easy so new sacrificial alloy is exposed all the time.

NEVER, NEVER do anything to stop prevent, cover seal, lubricate these, even accidentally spray crc or similar over them....
All that is needed is a rub or quick brush with a wire brush once in a while, and check  electrical continuity between the surface and the body (outboard case) to which they are attached.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 6:56pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If in doubt replace
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 9:35am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ok, thanks fellas.so all is normal then. I replaced these a few months ago with new ones. though about a trying a flush bag to see if that makes a difference, but probably wont bother
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 10:01am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

flush bag or drum are far better methods of flushing for several other reasons.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 10:09pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My formula cleans it up i have the evidence in my motor I cleaned 8 of them .