LED trailer lights

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED trailer lights
    Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:05am
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

LHS is not working in the boat trailer. Have power at car plug. Now pulled light off but cannot open it... Any clues? All 8 stainless screws removed from back. Sealed unit of unknown manufacture. Will try and post photo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:06am
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:17am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Those are Trojan submersible LED trailer lights.  You should be able to get a single replacement light if one is not working.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:21am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check trailer plug inside for corrosion and squirt pins and socket with WD40 - also pry pins apart with fine screwdriver so better connection - most often is connector but from my experience trailer LED fail mine did after 2 years and a supposedly good brand, the cheap Chinese ones are hopeless.  If keeping for a while bite the bullet and replace with Hella lights.
When you say LH light not working none at all no stop, tail or indicator?  Usually separate drivers for each so if in sealed unit 1 plays up - is wire caught/broken somewhere in trailer loom? 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:21am
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for prompt response. I am suspicious of the wiring and want to test unit. How do you get inside them? Will need to do that if I have replace any way..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:24am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They are a sealed waterproof unit, you cant get inside of them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:27am
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Okay. Thanks. So to replace light I guess you have replace wiring full length of trailer?

It's an Enduro trailer, wires run inside the box section, which has water flush so it is sealed. Will be a **** of a job to replace...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:32am
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi MacSkipper. I have done all the things you suggest on the plug and wires have current on plug side. LHS unit has no lights, brakes, indicator light all dead. RHS is fine.

Wiring has a join inside the trailer which has given trouble before. I may have to dig into that...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:41am
Titanium
Titanium

My trailer after one side failed I had to buy a new pair - original installer had crammed both sets of wires into trailer connector which leaked and corroded over time as designed for one wire only - on advice of my mechanic I ran light wires to a box on winch post and one wire from there to trailer  connector - also keeps connection accessible and out of salt water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:46am
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This is how.mine are joined at the fold point of the draw bar. Have pulled all the insulation tape off to see how it was done. Draw bar fill with water after retrieving boat. Bad design in my view.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:47am
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 10:38am
Titanium
Titanium

That will be your problem very poor design alright  - asking for trouble the way it has been done - you could solder wires if not to corroded?   Cleanup and confirm is problem for now and change way its been done down the track?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 11:14am
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep, that's what I am thinking. Would a short circuit here damage the LED unit? I'll need to get some proper joiners and shrink wrap to do this properly. Not easy to see how I re route to winch post but I like the idea.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 2:17pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If nothing on that light is working could be a faulty earth return wire.

For joiners you can get presoldered heat shrink joiners.

You just put bare wire in each end and heat, solder melts and joins wire and plastic outer shrinks and seals join. To be safe I then cover with silicone and heat shrink again. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 3:23pm
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Joiners all replaced now (by an electrician who happened to stop by) and light still dead on all counts. Therefore I have to assume it's the unit that has failed. Will get online and find Hella replacements I guess. We are keeping the boat so can't be bothered with more hassles.

Everyone says Hella are the best, but interested in any feedback on the Trojan ones fitted to the Trailer originally.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 3:32pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hella all the way mate, I have much better things to do than muck around with trailer lights...like fishing..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 4:03pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have trojan lights on both trailers, have been good for us sofar. Must say we don't have any dodgy.. suspect... looking manure going on with our wiring though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 6:33pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hint on how to re run the wires thru the box section...
 Bit string, flush it thru to other end with the hose  running.
 then pull the wires thru

I dont have LEDs, maybe one day.
 I on the boat trailer I send cables down both sides, in the chassis, and loop across the chassis rail.
So feed from both sides.

The connector before closing up , gets a good over kill spray of lanoline, as does the inside of my non LEDs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 7:31pm
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Steps. I'll use the existing cable to drag the new cable through. Overlap them and tape hoping they don't snag. I'll be on the hunt for Hellas on Monday. As someone said above, better things to do than screw around with trailer lights.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:12pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

My trailer after one side failed I had to buy a new pair - original installer had crammed both sets of wires into trailer connector which leaked and corroded over time as designed for one wire only - on advice of my mechanic I ran light wires to a box on winch post and one wire from there to trailer  connector - also keeps connection accessible and out of salt water.

I'm no professional but that was the logical solution when I wired up my last trailer. Connections being submerged in salt water will always be an issue surely... 
Page  12>