Dodgy fuel pump?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chris B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dodgy fuel pump?
    Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 7:24pm
Chris B View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My 9.8hp parsun 2 stroke will only start if the tank is raised up above the engine.

Once it's going it will run. Last night it ran for 12 mins then I killed it. Tonight it ran for 6 mins and died. When it's going it idles very nicely. Just gently cuts out nothing spectacular.

Running with hose in wash screw and leg in tank to provide back pressure.

Brand new scepter tank, fittings, hose and bulb. Hose will stay hard if pumped up and left overnight so hopefully that shows there's no issues with that.

It was doing this with the original tank/hose that came with the boat. I thought it was bung so threw it out. It was **** looking so peace of mind too.

Where I'm at now is thinking it's the fuel pump? Maybe a pin prick in the diaphragm or something causing loss of vacuum gradually?

Wanted to run it past the forum before I go buying parts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 8:35pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

check you've go the fuel hose on the right way round i.e arrow pointing towards the engine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chris B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 9:42pm
Chris B View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah it's definitely right. Bulb is vertical too like it's supposed to be.
Can see filter filling up with gas when squeezing bulb so gas is coming up the line, just for some reason losing vacuum when running.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 10:36pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've experienced this issue. ..effing frustrating.
I resolved it by renewing the primer bulb as it had hardened with age.
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 7:00am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try running motor and squeezing bulb every min or so - if not pulling fuel bulb will be soft and motor wont die then.  If like Mercury system using engine vacuum to pump fuel through pump and gets pin hole in it - my mechanic changes every year.  
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chris B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 12:47pm
Chris B View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

@betty boop it's frustrating alright

@mac skipper yep bulb does go soft what you describe was working. Also with tank raised no need for vacuum so sounds like it might be time for a new one