Tow vehicle suggestions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow vehicle suggestions
    Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 9:42am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi All,

Looking for suggestions for a tow vehicle to tow my 15' tinny. Much of my launching is beach launching (eg Browns Bay, Hatfield, Army Bay) with some ramp use (eg Sandspit) and with occasional ventures over to Coromandel and up to BOI.

Currently use my Ford Fairmont but that is about to be replaced with a Lexus and that will not be going onto the beach.

Tow vehicle will only be used for the boat and garden trailer work and will not be the daily commute car. Budget is $4k tops.

Would like a smallish 4WD and have had a look at a Suzuki Grand Vitara with a 2.5l V6. 

Any thoughts on this and other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote feijoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 10:18am
feijoa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i had a short wheelbase 4wd pajero which i really liked and did a great job when i had a smaller boat. fantastic 4wd for beach launching and you can get the bottom sandblasted and painted so it lasts on the rust front.

bought it for cheap as chips, no major issues over about 5 years, then sold it to a farmer for pure offroad use for like 1.5k after running it into the ground.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 10:34am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Depending on how tall you are (I'm 6'2" and found them too cramped), what about a Toyota Forerunner/Surf?
A mate at work got a reasonable one for $4k a few weeks ago. Getting a bit old, but if you can get one with a reasonable mechanical assessment...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 10:59am
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I just sold a 3.0L Toyota Surf great wagon and didn't spend much on it over the years I had it. You will pay a bit more for a good one but Toyota reliability is hard to beat. If you are looking for one pm me and I will type a list of things to look for on them. Some Big Horns should be avoided (the common rail motors I think). 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 11:03am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

any of those little vitaras (stay away from the french diesel model) or subarus would do it with ease. rav4 - pretty much anything i spose with a light tinnie
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 11:41am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got a rav 4  for my little 4.3m tinny - great browns bay and waiake. 2007 2.4l manual
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 1:02pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

of you are going for more of a car with awd rather then a proper truck with 4wd i have heard that subaru have the best system. i have an outback and can say i beach launched a mac 420 (heavy boat for its size) on soft sand and it did well.
suzuki 4wd system on the vitaras
are also supposed to be good, have low setting. but the system that activates the 4wd is air powered and when i went to buy one it malfunctioned on the test
drive. supposed to be a fairly common problem bit easy to fix. lots of grunt in those
vitaras.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 1:18pm
focus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i have a 1998 suzuki vitara although it is badged as a mazdz levante with a fully reconditioned motor less than 20000ks ago that i am thinking of selling.it doesnt have a tow bar. it may be of interest to you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 1:19pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What model lexus are you after Sufishent?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 2:32pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for all the replies. Have been looking on Trademe and nothing stands out in my budget range - bit hard swapping the power of a 4L Fairmont (with 166k on the clock) for a 2L Rav4 with 250k on the clock :)

Took the Suzuki for a spin - not too bad, has a bit of body sway but that could be me getting used to driving an SUV. Anyone use the 2L version for towing? Would like a 3L Pajero/Surf but not too much listed currently.

Would prefer a 4WD rather than an AWD (hence the interest in the Suzuki) but having said that have only been stuck once on the beach with the Ford.

Have bought a 2010 Lexus 350 - beautiful car. Have had a towbar fitted and would no doubt tow perfectly but thinking of getting a tow hack for the boat. 
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 8:01pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've got a 2012 Rav 4 AWD. Launching a small boat (14' tinny) in some fairly soft sand at times, moved boats on wet grass and haven't needed to even think about pushing the transfer lock button on the dash. Not a serious off roader sure, but seems pretty capable for what I want!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ffocus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 11:22pm
ffocus View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I went through a similar process last year going from a nice car to a 4wd. Found it really hard to find a reasonable proper 4wd for a reasonable price unless the km were really high or needed work done.
Ended up with a mazda tribute 3litre. drives ok and plenty of grunt and the 4wd seems to work pretty well. Haven't even come close to being stuck on the beach, and have put it through some serious mud just to see how it went.