Edge Fishing Tackle

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edge Fishing Tackle
    Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 8:28am
huntfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So I see Burnsco is marketing a new range of tackle, just wondering if they bought someone out or are just doing cheap copies as they have swarmed the range of tackle which looks like direct takeoffs of other brands, or as I say maybe they have purchased a manufacturer? Did a forum search on this but nothing showed up so I'm sorry if been discussed before.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 8:47am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm impressed with their slow pitch jigs. I also use their lumo ball sinkers with soft baits. I'm more fussy about hooks and line, but in general the Edge range seems decent quality and well priced.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 10:18am
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm glad someone has asked this question. It's been at Burnsco ever since I became interested in TAS (12 months) and it (Edge) seems qood 'value' to me but even better when it's on 'sale'. Often 2-for-one pricing or decent discounts. At my level I have no fault with anything  'Edge' I've bought. The range of clips and swivels is very comprehensive. 
I figured it must be their 'house' brand as I don't see Edge anywhere else. Sort-of like supermarkets (Pams) or Warehouse own brand clothing etc.
Burnsco stock other brands as well so it's good to compare, whereas I was in Hunting & Fishing last week looking to spend a Gift Card I received for Xmas and it seemed they were just a 'Shimano Shop'.

><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 10:37am
huntfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I agree FO but it's a bit surprising to come straight into the market with all the current tackle and have it almost identical and starting from scratch. Definitely a house brand but I just wondered if they have purchased a huge manufacturer or if the bulk of the current tackle available is all from the one factory and then sold off to brand name companies? I guess we will never know the actual truth...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 11:50am
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My leaning is towards the latter. Burnsco seem to be a re-seller of brand names. Note they have their name on some things such as knives, etc. My Burnsco PFD is made by Crewsaver. A quality name overprinted to advertise the store. (I don't mind).

I guess if you went to one of the big Asian trade shows, and you had enough money, you could become "HuntFish Tackle" importer.

I notice we don't get all the range from the main manufacturers and many times guys here describe buying tackle from Australia or Japan which they can't get here. 

Edit: I'm a believer in quality where it's needed but budget dictates where I can spend on what. I felt Edge stuff was fine for most of my needs. 
I have some Black Magic terminal tackle and Mono/Fluro leader rolls. A couple of Uncles flashers for emergencies when softy's aren't working. And I prefer Z-Man softbaits over Gulp. (Durability and no smelly juice).

BUT: I've found 'Kaveman' now too. Wink
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 6:24pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If Aliexpress delivers to NZ then perhaps have a look at what they have to offer. They have a huge range of terminal tackle and if you build in a contingency factor for strength then it shouldn't be an issue. At the very least you will kill a few hours looking at what's on offer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote ET487 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 8:23pm
ET487 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Edge tackle from Burnsco are the same as Strada from Hunting and Fishing. Just better prices from HF.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 1:54pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

If Aliexpress delivers to NZ then perhaps have a look at what they have to offer. They have a huge range of terminal tackle and if you build in a contingency factor for strength then it shouldn't be an issue. At the very least you will kill a few hours looking at what's on offer.
Just purchased from Aliexpress 300m x 30lb braid with frieght.$6.95 braid is "Spectra Extreme" 11 day delivery .  Guess it comes down to get what you pay for.Time will tell.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 4:23pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Just purchased from Aliexpress 300m x 30lb braid with frieght.$6.95 braid is "Spectra Extreme" 11 day delivery .  Guess it comes down to get what you pay for.Time will tell.

I bought a bit of Aliexpress braid a while back. Honestly it's better than the super cheap Kmart/Warehouse braid, but it can't hold a candle to pretty much anything mainstream. My experience with it was that it was coarse, loosely braided, the dye came out all over everything (coloured droplets formed on each of the guides when used), and the breaking strain was massively inconsistent within a single spool of the stuff.

With the price of very good braid (Daiwa X4 and Shimano Kairiki for example) as low as it is these days it's just not worth the risk for me.

I still buy a lot of fairly non-consequential stuff from Aliexpress, like lumo beads.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 5:48pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

HaHa I know what you mean with the dye,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:59pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ET 487 is onto it, its their own home brand from what I have seen they use one company from China who provides items from multiple suppliers... H&F sometimes use that company to along with some major retailers in aus....so no they haven't brought a supplier but are cutting out the middle man and doing their own sourcing not particularly hard to do  as a major retailer if they want a bit of extra margin or be able to provide the same gear but cheaper hence why you can get the 2 for 1 deals
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 11:06pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anything will catch on a good day, you want to buy what will catch on a tough day. Wouldn’t be what I’d go with personally.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 6:12pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been using the aliexpress braid for over 12 months now,no issues apart from the dye fading but seems to hold up to what i throw at it,snags wont break had to cut.
brought another roll about 3 months ago $2 cheaper than the $4.50 i origanally payed,dye staying on seems to have a few more strands? So just ordered another 2 rolls as shipping could be up 3 months but at $2.80 with free shipping why would i complain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 6:43pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

My advice is to avoid Chinese products at all cost
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 12:12am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

But that is where all the "reputable" brands get their stuff made.  Lots of very high quality stuff is made in China, but also some really low quality stuff as well.  The hard bit is working out which is which.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 5:59am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

But that is where all the "reputable" brands get their stuff made.  Lots of very high quality stuff is made in China, but also some really low quality stuff as well.  The hard bit is working out which is which.

Yeah, I know it's a great thought but it's impossible to do
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 6:37am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Yeah, I know it's a great thought but it's impossible to do
at the price what have you got to loose? Maybe a fish if your lifetime but could also happen with the bug $$ braid. A lot of gear is made by a handful just rebranded