Opinion - Worth buying? Heavy Duty Crimping Pliers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeastMode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinion - Worth buying? Heavy Duty Crimping Pliers
    Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 1:09pm
BeastMode View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just after opinions from Game fishos. (Perhaps the wrong forum section).

I want to buy a set of crimpers and wonder if its worth going the whole way and getting a serious set or whether the smallers sets do the job. Have noticed on a few rigging videos these monsters are often used.  Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 1:31pm
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No.

Good quality set of smaller hand ones, easier to use and cart about. Big arse heavy pliers like that are for the garage for doing tons of crimps or a 70ft boat. 

Go for it if thats where you want to use them.
I always tell the truth about things that never happened
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeastMode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 3:25pm
BeastMode View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thumbs Up Makes sense
Originally posted by sid fishus sid fishus wrote:

No.

Good quality set of smaller hand ones, easier to use and cart about. Big arse heavy pliers like that are for the garage for doing tons of crimps or a 70ft boat. 

Go for it if thats where you want to use them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 9:10pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I bought the larger version of these for making boat battery crimps in 16sq and 25sq wire, reckon these should do the job.

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/kincrome-swagging-tool-with-wire-cutter-350mm_p00234857
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeastMode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 9:32pm
BeastMode View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by muchalls muchalls wrote:

I bought the larger version of these for making boat battery crimps in 16sq and 25sq wire, reckon these should do the job.

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/kincrome-swagging-tool-with-wire-cutter-350mm_p00234857

Thanks mate. Appreciate it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 2:54pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All depends on how much crimping you want to do. The small sets are ok but be careful buying stainless they sometime break, I have done it.
I purchased a bench press from Lauries about 15 years ago and press quite a few but just find it much easier, 1 press and its all over the next size up like you are looking at you only press 2 times where as the smaller ones do 3 times, again depends on how many you are doing. if you are near Hobsonville rd call by and try the press
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeastMode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 6:46pm
BeastMode View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by wanabe wanabe wrote:

All depends on how much crimping you want to do. The small sets are ok but be careful buying stainless they sometime break, I have done it.
I purchased a bench press from Lauries about 15 years ago and press quite a few but just find it much easier, 1 press and its all over the next size up like you are looking at you only press 2 times where as the smaller ones do 3 times, again depends on how many you are doing. if you are near Hobsonville rd call by and try the press

Cheers mate. I'm in the other direction but thanks for the offer Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 8:10pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As the others say that model is too big for a home user/boatie, that model suitable for commercial/charter use.

This Penn model is perfect for fishos...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 6:09pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Free to borrow mine but I'm in Kerikeri.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 6:41pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think those Penn ones are the same as mine, perfect for fishing use, only need larger if doing stuff like large gauge wire battery terminals etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 5:01pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by coxie coxie wrote:

I think those Penn ones are the same as mine, perfect for fishing use, only need larger if doing stuff like large gauge wire battery terminals etc

the large ones do small crimps as well they are wider and 2 press are all you do so it does depend on how many you are doing

Al is right the small ones do the job for most people