Bucklands Beach. Yacht was trouble.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bucklands Beach. Yacht was trouble.
    Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 8:25pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went down to Bucklands Beach approx sevenish for an ice cream.
While sitting on the wall we noticed a yacht side on to the tide.
The Coast guard boat nearby.
On closer inspection, the coast guard boat was towing the yacht from the top of its mast causing it to heel over.
Once it appeared to be in the channel, they released the tow line, nosed the yacht around, rafted up and procceded to push it back to the marina.
It was near full tide and appeared to have just turned for the out going.
My theory is the yacht some how ran aground, they waited for high tide to help float it off and by towing it from the top of the mast caused it to heel over and reduce the prosect of the keel digging in if towing it from the bow.
Do not know much about yachting so if some one with a bit more knowledge could confirm or correct my hypothesis it would be appreciated.
Or. if some one knows what actually happened I would be interested as well.
Thanks.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 8:51pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Generally what you do with yachts,being soft mud there would be no damage.Interesting channel tamaki river. I follow(use to and hopefully soon will do)stick to the starboard side lining up the green markers and your in 5/10m of water,stray inside inside by a metre  and next minute your aground or in 1.2m.got stuck myself but luckily wind been sw 10/12 knots and put a headsail up,yacht heels and your off.Tide flow is very strong in places.Being up at panmure off PT England there are some holes with 12/15 metres often wondered if they hold fish at this time of year as we get snapper 35/40+ up at moorings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 1:14pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, towing from top of mast would heel the yacht reducing draft and enabling it to float again. I have heard of taking anchor out in dinghy abeam stuck yacht and winching in anchor warp through pulley at top of mast, heels yacht and getting it into deeper water. Works in hard chine runabout, lift one side and hull floats on other chine enabling keel to lift slightly off bottom.