I am the most knowledgable person on this forum !

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:42pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

OK ... now for the revelation as to why the battery went flat !!!

My previous motors had alternators, therefore assumed all larger HP motors would. Not so it would seem a many, my current 90hp Merc included have a far less efficient system ... forgotten what it is called.

If you are 100% sure your motor has an alternator then read no further as you are not affected.

What is the main difference between the two systems ?

Alternator :- starts charging the moment the motor is running & provides a healthy amount of charge power.

Other system :- is far less efficient with not only a relatively low output
but motor has to reach 2500 rpm before it even starts to do so.

I have always started the motor & left it idling whilst using the anchor winch in the false belief battery power being used would be balanced by the charge being used ... but not so it would seem, also same applies to hydraulic tilt.

OK on this trip as well as a couple previous we have been trying to come to grips with the newly installed GPS/Chartplotter/Sonar, therefore mostly puddling along, also leaving it on when anchored. 

As a result but unknown to us, the battery was probably in a very healthy condition when we launched on Thursday, nevertheless performed all the required functions at that stage.

From there on we were moving much slower than normal & shifted
position a short distance about 4 or 5 times using the anchor winch each time.

So basically using the winch, key start, bilge pump, sonar, hydraulic tilt, vhf etc. was draining current with little or any input until it reached a point where there was insufficient power to start the motor.

In retrospect, altho I was peed off at the sequence of events at the time have come to realise it was maybe rather fortuitous inasmuch as am about to do a couple of long trips oblivious to the fact that both the wagon & boat batteries were likely to cause significant problems if either or both would not start ... whereas ... I now have a new battery for the wagon, a new one for the boat plus a fully charged jump start for either & a fully charged spare battery, so peace of mind has been restored. Have also purchased a hand held VHF as a backup & will probably install a voltmeter so as can keep an eye on the state of the batteries. Plus I now know what to do to avoid excess battery drain, so am even more knowledgeable than I was when starting this thread !!

I think it was Rex ( AKA Letsgetem ) that mentioned battery power can be viewed on the sonar/plotter/gps unit .... is this so? 

Best of all, called into Simon Lucas yesterday & an obliging salesperson managed to subdue the female gps scourge who was constantly nagging me to take every off ramp, perform U turns or anywhere contrary to my intended destination. The salesman said she was trying to get me to go to New Plymouth where no doubt she had some sort of tryst planned however my mother warned me about women like that!

Many 2 stroke motors only had dynamo type charging system, like motorbikes.
Basically, magnets in the flywheel passing coils mounted under it. It is not voltage controlled, and they work best at a fast idle, 1500 rpm or so. They struggle to push the battery voltage up quickly, and are really only a dribble charge, more than a trickle, but 10 amps max.
They don't work well at 4500rpm..
I started my 100hp merchandise one morning, at Tairua, is sounded flat, but I thought, I'm going for a good run..20 mjn. .
2 hrs later, after the run out, the dreaded flat battery..
A pull start, and fast idle for 10 mjn, and fine for the rest of the day.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:52pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is the battery charging system on a 4 stroke any more efficient than a 2 stroke
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 4:02am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

No idea but would assume it would depend on the type of charging system a motor had rather if it was 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

May well be wrong however if 2 strokes in general are higher revving, am inclined to think they may charge more efficiently if all other factors were equal.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:17am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Most 4S newer designs so tend to have more electrical output.
Not sure what year Bazzas motor but generally speaking the newer the motor the better the charging system (also bigger motors over 50 60 hp have more car like systems) - any bigger outboard designed in last decade will be able to put out more charge as manufacturers are aware that we all have a lot more gadgets nowadays.

My 30hp Mercury/tohatsu is a very low output even though electric start from factory - basically a trickle charge and as I run a basic fish finder chartplotter and have trim tilt and nav lights I started getting "flat battery" on it so I charge battery at home on a ctek trickle charger - no problem.  Most 30hp and smaller will be the same whether 2S or 4S.

Ask your mechanic for advice on your particular motor - they see flat batteries all the time.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 9:31am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What is your engine Bazza?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:05pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

he has a mercury 90 2S not sure of year
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 7:48pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Yep ... a Merc 90 hp ... 2012 or thereabouts.

I can relate to how the battery felt as I am ( in the words of the ancient Romans ) stuftus completus after doing the Tongariro crossing yesterday. My biggest concern was the likelihood of extreme heat so made sure was carrying sunblock, hat & 3 ltrs of water, but apart from 1/3 of the water, none were needed as was near blizzard conditions all of the 20 kms .... will add a pic later, when I recover.

Was so exhausted this morning that when hooking into a decent fish in the Whakapapa I felt in danger of it dragging me down the river, so was quite relieved when it broke the leader. 

Looking back down the valley had just come from at this point was thinking that very soon will be able to exclaim in true Hillary fashion "I knocked the barstard off!" but that ambition was to be gradually eroded with the reality was less than a 1/4 of the way to the highest point before the descent began. Could only make out the crater lakes if there was a momentary respite from the icy cold storm driven rain.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 11:02am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Done a bit of digging
90 hp 2012  mercury charging system.. covers many yrs around then... have alternator.. as thought would.. NOT early 1900s magneto or mid 1900s  generator..
 Therefore it should be charging to some degree at idle and near full charging just off idle..
 If not maybe a stator issue, but since charging at higher rpms then would suspect the solid state rectifiers, as suspected previously... most proberly a rectifier diode failing or failed..
 SOMETIMES these faults will also show as a tach reading wrong or not working..

The most common reason why these units fail is because the battery has been disconnected, switched off, loose or bad terminal connections.

If failing then need to replace before completely doesnt so.
 They are not cheap
 The factory service and or repair manual has detailed method to check out puts / connections and resistances between

Bottom line thu, I believe the comment that doesnt charge at idle or just off idle is a load of rubbish
 IF that was the case there would also be huge up cry from merc owners  who trawl lakes etc going back to at least the early 90s...and in that time cant believe merc would not have changed how the alternator fields got their field voltage from.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 11:54am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Done a bit of digging
90 hp 2012  mercury charging system.. covers many yrs around then... have alternator.. as thought would.. NOT early 1900s magneto or mid 1900s  generator..
 Therefore it should be charging to some degree at idle and near full charging just off idle..
 If not maybe a stator issue, but since charging at higher rpms then would suspect the solid state rectifiers, as suspected previously... most proberly a rectifier diode failing or failed..
 SOMETIMES these faults will also show as a tach reading wrong or not working..

The most common reason why these units fail is because the battery has been disconnected, switched off, loose or bad terminal connections.

If failing then need to replace before completely doesnt so.
 They are not cheap
 The factory service and or repair manual has detailed method to check out puts / connections and resistances between

Bottom line thu, I believe the comment that doesnt charge at idle or just off idle is a load of rubbish
 IF that was the case there would also be huge up cry from merc owners  who trawl lakes etc going back to at least the early 90s...and in that time cant believe merc would not have changed how the alternator fields got their field voltage from.

Was brought new 7 yrs ago & O/B mechanic said it does not have an alternator when he was testing it for charge so reckon he should have a bit of an idea.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 12:32pm
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Maybe not an Alternator in the accepted automotive sense ( A round aluminium unit bolted to a bracket on the side of the engine block and driven by a v-belt?) but outboards share some characteristics with lawnmower engines.

Your basic electric-start ride-on mower has an alternator. It's built-in. Under the flywheel.
There are magnets inside the flywheel (As well as the external magnets to generate the spark) and a stator bolted to the top of the crankcase. The flywheel rotates and creates charging AC voltage which passes to a rectifier/regulator for conversion to DC.

I would expect some outboards have similar. It's an alternator system but not like a car has, physically in a seperate driven unit.

By eliminating the fan-belt drive they eliminate a point of wear/failure and save space.

You could have a system like that?
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 12:40pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Your basic electric-start ride-on mower has an alternator. It's built-in. Under the flywheel.
There are magnets inside the flywheel (As well as the external magnets to generate the spark) and a stator bolted to the top of the crankcase. The flywheel rotates and creates charging AC voltage which passes to a rectifier/regulator for conversion to DC.

Yes good description

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 5:49pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Yep ... a Merc 90 hp ... 2012 or thereabouts.

I can relate to how the battery felt as I am ( in the words of the ancient Romans ) stuftus completus after doing the Tongariro crossing yesterday. My biggest concern was the likelihood of extreme heat so made sure was carrying sunblock, hat & 3 ltrs of water, but apart from 1/3 of the water, none were needed as was near blizzard conditions all of the 20 kms .... will add a pic later, when I recover.

Was so exhausted this morning that when hooking into a decent fish in the Whakapapa I felt in danger of it dragging me down the river, so was quite relieved when it broke the leader. 

Looking back down the valley had just come from at this point was thinking that very soon will be able to exclaim in true Hillary fashion "I knocked the barstard off!" but that ambition was to be gradually eroded with the reality was less than a 1/4 of the way to the highest point before the descent began. Could only make out the crater lakes if there was a momentary respite from the icy cold storm driven rain.

Guess I should be grateful I finished ..........

Page  <12