The worst thing that ever could happen...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slashedwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The worst thing that ever could happen...
    Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 8:49pm
Slashedwalnut View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys... i took the family out for a fish this morning.. all started well boat started as i expect it to do so... on the beach i had 2 boats to my one side 1 to the other... we luanched and at first the boat pulls off then seem to not go anywhere drifting towards the ppl to my one side i turned the wheel and touch the trottle
Nek min the reve kick in to 7000rpms with no warning boat then turn hard doing a 180 ... missing everyone boat heads back to the beach i pull the kill switch and boat stopps dead... man was a merical no one got hurt... im not a dumb ass i know how to handle
My boat but never had this happen... so i turned the boat around again and launch it again this time how it should have been done heading out about 5mins later on cruise it does it again revs jump from 3000rpms to 7000rpms ... this time i was going in a straight line so i left it for a min pulled back to neutral and accelerated again. no problems again all day... so anyone that was around this morning when that happened i apoligyse ... i was totaly in shock so was wife and kids... only after the 2nd time that i understood what happened...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:41pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So...what caused this?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:49pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pleased there were no casualties other than maybe your undies.

No doubt you've got the boat booked into the marine centre you use to ensure it doesn't happen again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slashedwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:50pm
Bronze
Bronze

I dont know thought it might be the control... there seem to be a dead spot just after nutral... will take it in and see if they can replicate the fault ... and possibly replace it... but that does not really explain why it would pickup revs on its own...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slashedwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:51pm
Bronze
Bronze

So am i.. and yes first thing mon morning...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:48pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

scary as hell. let
us know what the cause is when you find out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 11:20pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Scary alright! But it isn't the worst thing that cou;ld happen. Luckily you had the presence of mind to react in time to keep you and your crew safe. Well done. Hope they can find the fault. Has it had any work since it was last in the water?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slashedwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 9:34am
Bronze
Bronze

Funny u ask the controller cable was replaced end of 2016 as i was not happy with the controller smoothness... last serivice steering cable was replaced... had no issues and this has not ever happened ... this is a cable controller so half throttle should should be half it cant just decide to max out never ever had my boat even been over 5000rpms never needed it.. so their must be a reason why it would auto exalerate ... rest of the morning out it was ok.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 11:38am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's a bit concerning Walnut. I'm going to move this post so it shows in the  Boat forum also, maybe someone else will know whats going on. Can you remember if you had the steering turned hard one way or another when it happened? If the cable hasn't been installed properly then the cable could pull tight when you turn the motor. The position of the motor trim may affect it too. It seems too much of a coincidence that this happened after changing the cable.

What is the motor?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slashedwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 12:04pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi yes as we where drifting toward the left the wheel was turned to start turning right on normal acceleration but the. Outboard was tilted down.. was not expecting that acceleration ... the outboard is a evenrude etec 40hp .. 2nd time it happened i was going in straight line cruzing at 3000rpms booth hand on the wheel then it happened again rev climed rapidly like i just pushed it full down.. then i pulled back on the throttle back to idle nautral then accelarted again this time it was normal...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote robdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 6:07pm
robdunk View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just can't believe knowing your boat had a problem you would continue to take the boat out putting your crew and others a potential risk.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slashedwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 8:06pm
Bronze
Bronze

You are correct that was stupid if you think about it.. but at the time i couldnt have figured it out... after it happened again i did take some mesures to keep us safe ... and now i can be posistive of what happend when i talk to the shop.. i have an explenation of what happened earlier ... with out me going out i would have wondered if it was my mistake? Im not sacred of turning around if im not happy about something i have done that before..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 8:27pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

For what ever reason if the remote cables were swapped around on the trigger arms , this means that when you move the throttle lever it will instantly increase the rpm before the gear is selected the result can be dangerous and also may cost you a new gear box. the way to find out for yourself is remove the 2 cables from the trigger arm get someone to move the throttle lever from the neutral position slowly forward while you observe which cable moves first and make note which cable was attached to what point on the trigger arms . the gear cable always moves 1st it selects the gear 1st then the other cable moves after to increase the rpm