Raglan Fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Armoured Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raglan Fishing
    Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 1:29pm
Armoured View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all. I’m new to fishing the area by boat, and as such was after a bit of guidance to get better catches within Raglan or Kawhia harbours. I’ve heard there’s good fishing over the bars, but as yet I don’t know those bars and tend to stay away from them until I’m confident of where to run to get over them.

I went out for a fish and came away with 7 snapper between 30-35cm...so not disappointing, but I’d certainly appreciate any advice to get me onto other species (esp gurnard and trevally) or bigger moochers

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:50pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have a look on page 2 of the Reports there is a section Raglan Report.
I launch at Manu Bay  no bar to cross and generally I only go when the swell is a meter or less.  re Swell Map. I find deeper is better 55-60m less Sharks and Couta,s then work my way back in if I haven't caught what I wanted ,usually catch a good feed Snapper ,Gurnard , Kahawai, and occasionally Trevally , Terakihi  and Kingfish. 
Cheers
Muzz
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Armoured Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 7:33pm
Armoured View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Muzz, much appreciated.

Had two trips in the harbour now but getting through the smaller fish to bring anything decent, or for that matter legal makes for a long day....despite being great for the kids. But at the end of the day a quiet day on the water always beats a day on the couch.

Will keep an eye on the swells and launch from Manu when the forecast is favourable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 7:35pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Used to fish the harbour as a kid, he’d for the other side opersite the boat ramp. Gurnard and trevially was the catch. Small flasher rigs with mullet for bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Armoured Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:13pm
Armoured View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome. Assuming that was the ramp at the large inner harbour wharf