Lighter tippets for fussy kings?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lighter tippets for fussy kings?
    Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 5:43pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I finally managed to put some yellow tails in the Zego Fly today. Unfortunately, most of them were rats and the bulk of them were mice...

But I didn't manage to get a wonderful eat out of a ten kilo plus fish that stood on its tail and stared intently at the unweighted fly as it sunk slowly down in front of it. I saw a slight tail twitch and struck, coming up fully connected. Unfortunately, five minutes later the fish found a rock in what I thought was a totally clear area. I had a long 25lb fluorocarbon tippet on in effort to improve my kingfish rejection rate.

Given the circumstances it looked like the lighter leader did the job. That fish had tonnes of time to stare at the fly. But there is a nagging feeling I would have landed the fish had I had on a heavy duty tippet or a full heavy duty leader.

But would I have got the eat???

That is the question. Do lighter leaders improve your kingfish hook-up rate?

What say you?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 6:09pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I say...great effort, are you still doing charters/ guiding?
Keen to try this but despite the gear, I got no idea!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 7:00pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have only ever used 20lb fc and have landed the majority of the kings I have hooked, but the total number is below 20 and my biggest only 73cm Embarrassed so I don't think that really counts Confused.

Saying that, probably about a 3rd of those were off channel markers including the biggest.

I use a hand tied 1m furled fc leader and loop 2m of 20lb fc to that with a loop knot to the fly. The furled leader gives a bit of shock absorption like a bimini plus makes changing leaders easy with the loop to loop. Because it is tapered helps turn over big flies too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:20pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Johan, I would regard 20lb fc as light for kings. I have typically used 40lb and 60lb as well as 60lb dropping down to a short breakaway tippet of 25lb. Hence using a long single strand leader of 25lb is effectively 'going light' for me.

It looks like a lighter leader has worked for you, so there could be something in it, but big fish are the real test of course.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 10:07pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got the day off tomorrow so I hope to find out ...will let you know Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 11:14am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'll be out later on, using my bog std 20lb mono leader, bimini at line end and whatever fly I grab first at the other. Johan, if you're bashing the markers stick with 20lb, it'll save you from wrecking fly lines. One touch of the chain and 'ping', leader broken, move on.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:38pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I only use 20lb straight with bimini loop,
flylines only good for 35lb[apart from leviathan[70lb]

but I only target in areas that are foul free
and I reckon its the same in athe salt as it is in the fresh,bright  and clear go light.

the whole fighting from a boat with a bit of depth vs from the sand with a low rod angle is a bit to consisder maybe.
that reminds me,
I need to do a load test on my leader with me scales.

anyways,
looks like the zego paying her way already!Thumbs Up

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:09pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done on the king/rat/mice!

I thought 10kg was heavy ... no wonder you guys use loop knots with your flies if you are using 20-30kg.
In which case does 20 kg hinder how small a fly you can realistically present?
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:39pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, 60lb fc (don't ask me why fc weights are always in pounds?) is not easy to tie a knot in. Regarded as an absolute minimum as a bit tippet in GT country, but have need used much more than 40lb as a shock tippet on kings. As said though- found the long heavy leader with short 25lb tippet works best. The break is always well up the leader on a reefing.

But... as said, there could be too many rejections on the heavy leader. Surprised by how many don't go past 20lb. Everyone looks to be having good success with it though.

Having plenty of clean water with kings in must be heaven. Reef central in the Bay of Islands.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 11:01am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The biggest king I caught last year (50) was on a 16lb 9ft tapered leader. I always use tapered leaders for fly turnover. That was an error, I thought it was a 20lb leader, it wasnt until I tagged and released it that I saw the empty leader packet and saw it was 16lb. Glad I didnt realise that during the fight

I sometimes use a 25lb bite or shock tippet about 400mm long. Only because the larger 30lb plus kings have hard mouths and long fights can sometimes mean they will wear through it. The 16b leader mentioned above was well worn and wouldn't have gone another 10mins. Fight time was just under an hour. 

One note: I dont fish near rubbish. All of my fishing is sight fishing in water less than 1m deep over clean ground and I have to be able to see the fish so I can read it. Kings will suck in a fly without the angler even noticing and spit it out just as quick. Most of my hookups are in the corner of the mouth as the kings turn down on the fly (common feed technique) so the leader isnt anywhere near the abrasive parts.

A heavy tippet or leader wont help you squat if you fish over reefs. You'll likely just right off fly lines or break them. Once they rub their head on the ground in the first run you're over the worst.

Shy fish is normally a presentation error. Most of the videos etc Ive seen online are more of a display or "how not to" approach kings. When I hear people say "the kings were not on the bite (or chew)" particularly with kings on flats, that is 9/10 a user error NOT the fish. Kings dont go into shallow water to sunbath, they go there to eat. If a fish is swimming it is hunting. If its not swimming it is hiding, normally in a channel or marker. Not my cup.

I approach every fish as if it is a brown trout. Period. 

Hope your 2018 brings you more light on these apex flats targets for fly fishing anglers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:47pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thanks Millsy, that's interesting stuff. Fully agree about how the approach to a kingfish is everything. First casts are always best but blow your cover. If you've been very quiet you might get a second or third chance. Boat noise can determine the outcome. A good stealth boat can make the world of difference for those afloat. I know - have owned a noisy boat for far too long. Now at sea in a vessel that might be a game changer.

Not fishing near 'rubbish' is a difficult option around here. I was checking out a good looking flat the other day, lots and lots of sand then, fair in the middle of it a large sharp rock that had no kelp on it and goes largely unseen. It seems there can be rocks anywhere in the BOI's Disapprove

Anyway 25lb fc looking like a sensible option, as is the stealth boat and some quiet approaches. 

Thumbs Up