Fish for your dinner, restaurant

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish for your dinner, restaurant
    Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:26pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 8:24pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I ate at one of those restaurants in Tokyo maybe 10 years ago.  It was "fun and interesting" but the fish looked a little sad, some downright yearning for death. Yellowtail were highst price on the menu, which I thought odd since I use them only for bait.  I caught a sad-lloking flounder thing: some sashimi, some cooked, bones battered and deep fried: crunchy and nice.

One of the cooking options was to have one side filleted, the rest served "live", i.e. still wriggling on your plate.  Hmmmm.  I am a quick iki-spiker myself
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:42pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just because they are (barely) alive, doesn't meant they are in good condition. i'd pass.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:21pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

I ate at one of those restaurants in Tokyo maybe 10 years ago.  It was "fun and interesting" but the fish looked a little sad, some downright yearning for death. Yellowtail were highst price on the menu, which I thought odd since I use them only for bait.  I caught a sad-lloking flounder thing: some sashimi, some cooked, bones battered and deep fried: crunchy and nice.

One of the cooking options was to have one side filleted, the rest served "live", i.e. still wriggling on your plate.  Hmmmm.  I am a quick iki-spiker myself

I cant handle the idea of any animal suffering like that. I find it barbaric.
Years ago i was told of a custom where a sedated monkey, was placed under a table with its head poking through a hole in the table.
The top of its skull was removed, and the people used spoons to eat its brains.while it was alive and to a point awake.
I hope it wasnt true.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:45am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

When in Kyoto years ago tried the regional speciality namely :-

You were brought a bowl of ice water in which tiny fish smaller than whitebait ( 15 to 20 mm ) were happily swimming about.

A sieve the size of a spoon was used to scoop them up where upon they were dipped in a separate bowl of soy sauce/wasarbi mix then quickly swallowed whilst still wriggling.

The name of the dish translated roughly as " tickle in back of your throat " which was a very apt description.

Can remember having mixed feelings at the time ( still do ) but consoled my conscience with the thought it was at least a speedy end for the unfortunate creatures on the menu.

Guess the practice would also qualify for " catch your dinner at the table " status ! " 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:52am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This rings a bell, maybe 3 or 5 yrs ago a restaurant opened in Auckland along these lines.. dont think on that scale, caused heap of controversy. Dont know what happened in the end thu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 11:05am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

This rings a bell, maybe 3 or 5 yrs ago a restaurant opened in Auckland along these lines.. dont think on that scale, caused heap of controversy. Dont know what happened in the end thu.

There were a couple of Asian restaurants in Auckland that would serve a live crayfish on a platter. It would be put on the table between a group of diners then subsequently cut in half lengthways where upon the eager diners would start picking the meat out to eat whilst it was still moving.

There was an uproar from a group of non Asian diners nearby who complained vehemently, walked out without paying their bill & lodged a complaint with the appropriate authority.

In due course the practice was investigated & deemed illegal, but would not be surprised if it still practised on occasion.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 11:53am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On our honeymoon we stayed at a small town in Austria called St Wolfgang, which was on the shore of a lake.  All the local restaurants had a big fish tank outside with fish in, and depending what time you walked past there were less and less fish towards the end of the evening.  One morning we were up very early to catch a coach somewhere and there was a small truck with a big tank of fish on the back filling all the tanks with a fresh stock of fish.  Not sure what the fish were, char maybe, but they came from the lake fresh daily.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 4:28pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

There were a couple of Asian restaurants in Auckland that would serve a live crayfish on a platter. It would be put on the table between a group of diners then subsequently cut in half lengthways where upon the eager diners would start picking the meat out to eat whilst it was still moving.

There was an uproar from a group of non Asian diners nearby who complained vehemently, walked out without paying their bill & lodged a complaint with the appropriate authority.

In due course the practice was investigated & deemed illegal, but would not be surprised if it still practised on occasion.   

To be fair, by the time you split a crayfish in half you have presumably caused some pretty traumatic brain injury, and any wriggling remaining is purely nerves and muscles doing their thing without anyone at the steering wheel.

The one where they take a live fish and deep fry the **** out of it for like 30 seconds then put that on your plate.... not cool.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 4:44pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That was the one Bazza..
 Yep agree with that Rozboon.
Recon more people should get back to basics, stop living in their PC BS ivory towers and harvest and prep their own meat.
 Even go further.. stop farming out looking after the elderly and farming out the prep/ burying of their relatives..something that has only come about in very recent times after 1000s of yrs... and still in most parts of the world.
Ivory tower world... real world.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 8:23am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Steps, you could go vegan?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:51am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps, you could go vegan?
 Think you got the wrong end of the stick on my post.

Last week went to an acquaintances place for dinner.. full on vegan...real full on .
So had stuff like vegan chicken.. in a stir fry..
 Tell you what.. it was really good, , tasted like chicken, texture like chicken, as in reconstituted chicken pieces not like a full breast.
 Bottom line thu.. everything was damn good, including dessert.
 Very, very impressed.
Then added up the cost compared to real meat, dairy...
 Being vegan is a very expense way to go IF wish to duplicate std food.
 Which them posses the question .. if vegan why not eat vegan rather than imitate meats etc.. the vegan food in its self .. If know what doing is excellent.
 Try the Buddest temple for lunch one day
 That is form someone who loves his meats.. and loves GOOD high quality food...
My wife is an amazing cook.

I always pose the question thu..
A vegan or vegetarian comes to dinner, a special selection is made for them...
 Go to a vegetarian / vegan persons place.. they will not plate up a nice steak...
 Thu in the example above... yes we had a steak also.. the only time ever it happened.. that in its self gave incentive to sample , and more the full on vegan stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 10:44am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Glad you enjoyed the vegan food Steps! I was just taking the piss by the way...

My vegan mate would never serve me anything other than vegan food as its his belief that animals should not be farmed or harmed. So i'd never expect him to serve me up a steak!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 11:42am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My vegan mate would never serve me anything other than vegan food as its his belief that animals should not be farmed or harmed.

That was also discussed.. fortunately our friends are not 'into protecting animals' sector of the vegan movement.. its simply a dietary thing.
Also what was interesting , from their side, re the 'protect animal' was not supported at all.. the basic concept is based primary on that we/ they life at a particular time, very unique in history  that we have enough resources, income , life style it can actually be done..
 Also that we in NZ and a few other countries are part of only 10% of the worlds population that is actually able to choose what we are going to have for a meal

Which boils both of the above down to basics, puts vegans/ vegetarians how choose to be so (not medical etc) are simply being self centred and spoiled attitudes, playing on the back of a socially privileged quite unique in the last 10.000 yrs history of man kind.

It was a very pleasant, eye opening evening
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 8:19am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

[QUOTE=Steps]That was the one Bazza..
 Yep agree with that Rozboon.
Recon more people should get back to basics, stop living in their PC BS ivory towers and harvest and prep their own meat.
 Even go further.. stop farming out looking after the elderly and farming out the prep/ burying of their relatives..something that has only come about in very recent times after 1000s of yrs... and still in most parts of the world.
Ivory tower world... real world.
[/QUOTE
Hey Keith ...... how did a thread about eating at restaurants morph into the side topic of DIY home burials ?????????????

Anyone interested in that should move to Rarotonga  Where it is common to have relatives buried in your front yard. As a visitor it takes a bit of getting used to at first, but after a day or two of adjustment it becomes far more acceptable. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 3:52pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So, Steps, vegetarians and vegans are selfish because they are abusing their privilege of having choice over their diet? Especially the particularly horrible ones that make the choice out of animal welfare concerns? 

Thanks for clearing that up...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:50pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So, Steps, vegetarians and vegans are selfish because they are abusing their privilege of having choice over their diet? Especially the particularly horrible ones that make the choice out of animal welfare concerns?

Thats NOT what I said..

"the basic concept is based primary on that we/ they life at a particular time, very unique in history  that we have enough resources, income , life style it can actually be done..
.....that we in NZ and a few other countries are part of only 10% of the worlds population that is actually able to choose what we are going to have for a meal"

Or put another way, to be vegetarian or vegan is a privileged when put in perspective of the world as a whole.

And lets face, in the vegan/ not so much vegetarian 'society' the is a generalised intolerance, banner waving, activist attitude to people who farm, harvest , eat meat , dairy, fish eggs etc.

Like I finished with

" It was a very pleasant, eye opening evening "

The discussion was from their point of view, a diet issue, not a anti non vegan, damn all meat eater/ farmers , fishermen, but they covered the issues above.. not us

Was rather a big surprise for us, all I have done is seen their point of view as reasonable and reported it

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:07pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Oh, okay, thanks for clearing that up.