Two weeks at Kuratau

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two weeks at Kuratau
    Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 6:34pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We're heading for our annual holiday at Kuratau (Lake Taupo) next week.
Has anyone been fishing the southern end of the lake recently?

I'm hoping for a relaxing holiday this year. Last year was a disaster with ****ty weather and my dad in palliative care so my wife and I travelled from Palmy on alternate days meeting for a quick coffee at Taihape as we swapped duties. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 8:22pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been out several times from Kuratau - did well harling at first light just off ramp in bay - along drop off needed 4-5 colours out but got 3 keepers in half an hour.
Lots of bods going way out... 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:23am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Macskipper
That run has worked well for me in the past too, it seems to stop at about 7am as the head deeper?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hsvl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:17pm
Hsvl View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I was down at kuratau over New Years. Caught around 15 over the extended weekend kept 7 nothing huge but solid silver bullets with the maidens in nice condition. Best fishing was at stump bay in close by the hut, trolling worked best, a lot of people jigging but I didn’t see a lot caught by them. Speaking to fisheries it’s been a bit of a mixed bag but we did ok
It hit like a freight train, line peeling and drag screaming the rod now doubled with a tell tail nodding and Salt thickening within the veins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 8:00am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Hsvl
Weather is looking average for next week, I'll post reports
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 6:19pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Home today and now unpacking - no fun!
The fishing was great. I caught a few between the 250m bouy and the ski lane at Kuratau/Omori. The majority of fish were caught at the drop off along the front of Kuratau, mostly at the river end.
Trolling was best at 8 metres with a baby traffic light lure being the standout early in the morning.
The thermocline split seemed to be at about 10m so this was just above that.
With little wind, jigging was awesome, with at least one fish per drift. 20-25 meters was where the majority of fish were caught.
The quality of fish was a little average, we only kept the good ones - about 1 in every 3 caught.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 7:35am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for posting hoping to get out over long weekend...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 1:58pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 10:35pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Just home from a week at Kuratau jigging from the kayak.     Fished the drop-off as well as the bluffs for an average of 8-9 fish per session.     Lots of slabs as expected for time of the year but only a few really  good fish.     Expected a few more all the same.    Hope 2017 was not just a flash in the pan.    

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:17pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all - we are heading up to the lake for the weekend - and we have been struggling fresh water fishing. We do the std trolling with lead line with a basic finder. Whats the good rules of thumb, depths and speeds? I have had dumb luck come in with a couple with 10 colours out in deep water, but seems that mainly people stay up with only colours out. Any advice would be awesome - we are going to be launching Omori/or kurr ramp

chap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 10:57pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you are out early (before the sun's over the hills) try between the Kuratau buoy just off the ramp and the ski lane with 2-3 colours in the water.
I have heard the fishing has been hard lately.
Also the run from the spit (stay clear of the spit marker) to the river along the dropoff  is worth a try.
Walking pace is best - or as slow as your boat will go.
Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:49am
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Wide Load Wide Load wrote:

If you are out early (before the sun's over the hills) try between the Kuratau buoy just off the ramp and the ski lane with 2-3 colours in the water.
I have heard the fishing has been hard lately.
Also the run from the spit (stay clear of the spit marker) to the river along the dropoff  is worth a try.
Walking pace is best - or as slow as your boat will go.
Good luck.

Cheers for the above mate! this site has been simply gold for people helping people!

Ill post up how we get on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hsvl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:15pm
Hsvl View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I was down for a long weekend at the end of Feb. trolling was slow and I was finding it difficult to find a colour or depth that was good for the weekend. However, jigging was very effective off the omori stream I ended up keeping 9 and released about 5 more in the 3 days fishing. All trout were in really nice condition as well. I use the jigging rigs from Greig Sports in Turangi.
It hit like a freight train, line peeling and drag screaming the rod now doubled with a tell tail nodding and Salt thickening within the veins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 6:45pm
Silver
Silver

Cheers for the great intel - 45mins and 2 decent fish 42 and 47cm. Never had that kinda experience - shows how bad we were at fishing in the past. We were running from kiratua river along the cliffs. Both were picked up in front of the river entrance in 10/12 ft with only a couple of colours out. Boat struck batt charging issues so came home early

Thanks again!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 8:46pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like good weather. Well done!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hsvl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:10pm
Hsvl View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well done!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 11:33am
Titanium
Titanium

Went out today from Kuratau lovely conditions tried harling and jigging in spots that produced last month (haven't been out for 4 weeks) water temp 14.8 degrees no bites - few fish on finder but not taking lures - noticed several other boats went out and they went out wide not fishing just off ramp - maybe locals in the know?
Not sure what depths/areas produce over winter any suggestions welcome!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 11:39am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That Kuratau to Omori trolling run with 6-7 colours deep trolling seems to be reasonably consistent.
Did you try stump bay eary or late with the Harling?
Try jigging under the oreti timeshare place - just south of omori where the cliffs start?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 5:01pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

That Kuratau to Omori trolling run with 6-7 colours deep trolling seems to be reasonably consistent.
Did you try stump bay eary or late with the Harling?
Try jigging under the oreti timeshare place - just south of omori where the cliffs start?
Thanks Russell - harling was first light but didn't try lots and lots of colours probably 4 maybe 5 - will give it a go.

tried jigging near where you suggested but not that spot ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rambo122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 10:09pm
rambo122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was up here in the weekend. Pretty tough fishing. I caught one jigging just out of tokkanu and one off the omori stream at first light. Not alot of fish around on the finder though.

Page  12>