Vertical fish filleting

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vertical fish filleting
    Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 12:21am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

About 100 years ago when I lived the States for a short while, we filleted our striped bass (not so different from a snapper) by hanging them vertically. A large nail was banged in to a post or tree at a slightly downward angle and the fish was impaled through the eyes. You took one fillet off, then turned the fish around and took the other fillet off.

It worked well for bigger fish as I remember. Gravity is on your side, and the nail combined with the fish's weight meant that it didn't move around too much. It was also good when your were out and about and didn't have a clean, flat surface to fillet on in the traditional way.

Anyone do this? I might try it again at some point. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 12:59am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sounds promising, i might give it a go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 9:59am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do the frames end up 'see thru' or more like when  fillet on the flat, with straight line behind gills, then 1 single sweep to take fillet off?

Rec fishing, a personal thing, I like to see little waste and most made of the fish/ fillets... only think goes in the bin.. the skins scales and fins

In saying that, thats sort of how son strips down kings.. hung up like a home kill beast... but if meat taken off in single fillets, as the meat rolls down the structure breaks up  a little , so need someone to support it... or better still, take off in more manageable sections.

In saying that... yep will be going to have a 'play' 
 Current filleting method is a combination of old school how tought as a kid, bit of experimenting espec removing ribs/ pins, Vinnie on how to slice skin upwards 1st before peeling back off the fillet, fishing m8 slicing back under the gills, belly and up into the head 'V'
Suppose one of the biggest is having a stainless glove.. not safety.. but holds the fish stready, including the skinning operation.
 And it makes a good  'scotch brite' for cleaning down the chopping boards/ stainless bench and knives.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 12:16pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The quality of the fillet, and wastage is up to you. It’s just reorienting the fish, and making it more stable for filleting. Having said that, I do remember a lot of the American guys were one sweep wonders.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 1:56pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I do remember a lot of the American guys were one sweep wonders.
 Not a fan of  some Americans in general, thu think the "American" reference can be left out of that comment, and its still applies just as well

Side note:
How to upset an American.Wink
Ask/ tell them to look up "Yank" in the dictionary.. Webster or Collins doesnt matter.
 Then tell them not to....
 This assures that they will do so.Cool