Net or Gaff

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 11:04am
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

On a kayak a net is best, Kingis are easy to land, just grab then by the mouth.
Thanks Potty. 
"Grab them by the Mouth?" Shocked Don't they bite? (I know not to stick a finger in the mouth of a Snapper.)

I watch the Yakkers videos and the net seems to suit the low height above sea-level style of operation. Reaching down from a boat makes some people seem awkward with a net.
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 11:29am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Foxtrot Oscar Foxtrot Oscar wrote:

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

I carry both on the boat, net and gaff. Snapper under 40cm, I usually just lift them in by the trace. Bigger than 40cm I'll go for the net. Gurnard, net every time. Kingfish that I intend to keep, gaff. Kingfish that I intend to release, grab the trace and it's tail if possible. Good thread Foxtrot.

Cheers Craig and Happy New Year mate.
Why gaff the keeper Kingies rather than net them? That's kinda what I'm trying to understand. Thanks for input.

The net isn't quite deep enough for a decent king, so rather than risk losing it, one shot with the gaff and it's going nowhere but home with me. Also the pressure on the line needed to hold a kingy on the surface makes it difficult to get the net over it's head.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 11:36am
Gold
Gold

Ok, Thanks for explaining it like that Craig. Makes sense to me now. Cheers!

On the 'grab them in the mouth' concept. - I just watched the video in the DB Fishing Comp Winners thread. I see Tony Orton pull the Kingies up by the mouth,  wearing just a glove so perhaps they don't have big teeth?

He's also chewing something. Always seems to be eating when you see him on vid. LOL.
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 11:49am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's safe to grab em buy the mouth, they just give their prey a squeeze and swallow I think. Look out for trebble hooks though. I wouldn't be keen to put my thumb in a snapper mouth.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 11:58am
Gold
Gold

Thumbs UpThanks mate.
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 12:38pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

During the christmas period out of 7 days diving my brother and I only lost 1 fish and that was a big kingfish that my brother shot. (50ft bungee + float + brother kicking his hardest up all went under). Weakest link broke and that was the flopper.

So we arent perfect with zero by-catch but generally the more experienced ones are selective.. then you get the kill everything that moves kinda guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 12:44pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

During the christmas period out of 7 days diving my brother and I only lost 1 fish and that was a big kingfish that my brother shot. (50ft bungee + float + brother kicking his hardest up all went under). Weakest link broke and that was the flopper.

So we arent perfect with zero by-catch but generally the more experienced ones are selective.. then you get the kill everything that moves kinda guys.

Well JAS, I think you get those on top of the water as well. Grrrr...

Bad luck on the one that got away. Bet he was this big > Hug

Cheers! Beer
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 2:48pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Why gaff the keeper Kingies rather than net them? That's kinda what I'm trying to understand. Thanks for input.

It's a bit situational. Depending on the depth you've caught the fish from it may come to the boat completely pooped and docile as, in which case you can probably grab it by the tail and jig/trace and lift it in, giving you the option to release. If you horse them out of very shallow water they tend to come up still full of beans, and you may only get one shot at them before they take off under the boat and break you off on the chines or outboard.
This of course assumes you're planning to eat it. I wouldn't ever put a gaff into a fish I remotely planned to release.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 4:05pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

A king up around the 1m mark is probably ~10-11kg give or take so if you want to net it then make sure you have a decent quality net that's large enough to do the job. 

Some of the nets around are pretty cheap and nasty and will fly to bits. Otherwise grab them by the mouth as you might have seen Tony do in the DB Export NZ Fishing comp vid or a gaff will obviously do the job if you're definitely going to keep it. 

Grabbing them by the tail or holding them by the tail only can damage the spine apparently so not a good option as there's a lot of weight in that first third of the fish from the head back.

Anyone use a smaller lip gaff or lip grippers? I've never seen any of the charter guys do it apart from Rick on Pursuit but that's a factor of the distance to the water which isn't an issue for fizzers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 4:22pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

It's a bit situational. Depending on the depth you've caught the fish from it may come to the boat completely pooped and docile as, in which case you can probably grab it by the tail and jig/trace and lift it in, giving you the option to release. If you horse them out of very shallow water they tend to come up still full of beans, and you may only get one shot at them before they take off under the boat and break you off on the chines or outboard.
This of course assumes you're planning to eat it. I wouldn't ever put a gaff into a fish I remotely planned to release.
Ok, Depth is a factor - I hadn't figured that one Rozboon. The ones I see on vids all seem like the Python's Parrot (pretty shagged-out after a long squawk.)

So:

Shallow/Full of beans > Keeper > Gaff (Quick).

Tired > Releaser? > Mouth/Tail grab or maybe Net.

Thanks for input.
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 4:26pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

A king up around the 1m mark is probably !10-11kg give or take...
Thanks Big G.
Weight - I had no idea they were so heavy so yes, a net may be a risky job.

I did see Mr O. in the video as I mentioned earlier. Found that mouth grab quite surprising.

One day I might meet one of these fish. 

Appreciate your stopping by my little thread sir. Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 7:23pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Only decent'ish Kingfish I caught, around 12kg so not massive but solo on a stickbait (inline singles, perfect hookup in the corner of the mouth) I had a gaff, stowed in a side pocket. The net was no good, so I took a few wraps of the leader then thumb in mouth, hauled it aboard.
Can see the leader mark on my hand?...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 7:58pm
Gold
Gold

Yes, good pic.  I can see the line marking into your hand. Tough stuff! I guess, in the heat of the moment, pain was a secondary consideration to getting the fish on the boat?

Another mouth-grab. Seems pretty effective.
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 8:33pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Foxtrot, kingis don't have sharp teeth, safe as to grab them by the mouth (just pick the jaw that doesn't have a hook).
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 8:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

Weathers poor, can't find my external HDD with the videos of kingfish dying but close enough. 7.1mm shaft in action Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 8:54pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Relative to some catches, a 12 kg Kingfish may not seem much, but for me.....fishing solo, first decent legal fish, caught on a stickbait 5 mins from the boat ramp, I was stoked.
These pics don't do it justice as it was too big for my chilly bin & the tail was bent.
Smoked up a treat.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 8:58pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by muchalls muchalls wrote:

Relative to some catches, a 12 kg Kingfish may not seem much, but for me.....fishing solo, first decent legal fish, caught on a stickbait 5 mins from the boat ramp, I was stoked.
These pics don't do it justice as it was too big for my chilly bin & the tail was bent.
Smoked up a treat.

Beautiful size for eating I reckon Thumbs Up nice one! Out of the BOI?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 9:00pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

Foxtrot, kingis don't have sharp teeth, safe as to grab them by the mouth (just pick the jaw that doesn't have a hook).

Thanks Potty. Newbie naivety. I thought all fish had sharp teeth. Embarrassed (Except the John(Hoover)Dory).

Cheers! Beer

><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 9:03pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

Originally posted by muchalls muchalls wrote:

Smoked up a treat.

Beautiful size for eating I reckon Thumbs Up nice one! Out of the BOI?
Agreed. Well done! Pics are great. I'd be chuffed.

(Actually I'd be chuffed with anything too big for a net!)

Edit: Muchalls you appear to be 'anchored' pretty close to the shore! Wink
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote calcal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:08am
calcal View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We net all our snapper mainly so that we have the choice once we get it aboard to keep or release. 
Any kingfish we typically wrap the leader and grab the tail however since losing a carpenter stick bait when the leader broke and we were left watching it swim away with a new piercing I have brought a "Meat hook" or a hand gaff, if the fish is of a decent size we lip gaff it and then make a call as to keep or release. 

I think it depends on a lot of things, what people are fishing for (Motive) Sports fishing or wanting to put a feed on the table, experience with each tool etc. 
Page  <123>