Heavy Softbaiting

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy Softbaiting
    Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 5:54pm
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've just had an interesting discussion with Far Quirk over in the "Under Twelves" thread regarding 'Heavyweight softbaiting' - for want of a better term.

So this comes about because I have trouble getting my 1oz Lightbulb heads to get to the bottom in the Rangitoto Channel. FQ wrote that he is using 2oz weights in his City Channel drifts.

I thought 1oz was the heaviest I could buy.

The setup FQ is using has a 2oz (Maybe more?) ball sinker on a 15-20lb Fluoro leader with a lumo bead attached to a "Worm Hook" upon which the paddle-tail SB is wired-on using some light copper wire.

(Hopefully FQ will post his picture of this setup here.)

I have a packet of 3 x Z-Man "Paddlerz" that came with a Worm Hook but I didn't know to add a sinker weight when I tried one once, (with obvious dismal results). I'll follow FQ's rigging method next time.

The current in the Rangi Channel is quite quick and the skipper of my Saturday boat likes to hang around the 20m marks in the Light-house - A.Buoy - Noises triangle.

I'm aware from studying Mark Kitteridge, that 20m is the borderline for SB's to Micro-Jigs so I am investing in that jigging tackle also. (Thanks Kaveman). 

FQ's leader is 1m of Fluorocarbon tied to the Worm Hook with a Uni-Knot but he suggested a Loop knot for freedom of movement. I can tie the Lefty's Loop.

I guess the ball sinker acts like a 'Slider' or 'Sliding Kabura' and moves along the Fluoro?

My remaining question is to do with the action of my SB rod. It's quite bendy so I wonder if the 2oz weight will be too much for the rod??

><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 6:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

FO, I've used up to 4oz sinkers with worm hooks. Just put the sinker on so it slides down onto the hook. You can use a soft bead to protect the knot if you wish. If using a sinker that big I wouldn't use my standard 20lb trace as the sinker could wear it through. Go up to 30lb to give yourself a better chance of landing the fish. Of course it's always best to use only enough weight to reach the bottom without getting a huge angle on your line. Hope that helps.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 6:06pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks Smudge. That helps a lot. Yes, the problem I'm having with the current in the channel is getting 'down' and I have realised the line angle is an indicator of the problem since talking to Mark K. at the Boat show.

4oz though? Wow. I know my rod is not so easy to work the SB's with a 1oz head. 

But I know I need to get to the bottom!
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 6:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

you need the right rod to work those weights. I'm using a shortish Daiwa coastal that I bought for fishing inchiku jigs. It's great for heavier gear to 100g or so. I wouldn't want to fish that sort of gear with a soft action long rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 6:33pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Are you drifting Foxtrot? Are you using braided lines around the 5kg weight?
  I sometimes use 1/4oz weight and hold bottom. - depends on the drift speed on the day.
If you are then you should have no problem maintaining contact with bottom in less than 20m with 1oz - even half oz with the help of a drogue to slow drift down.
Far Quirk has spent alot of time in perfecting a technique that works so well for him in the City channel - inner harbour. He is dragging the softbait/lure thru the mud and it works very well - by all means replicate this method for the harbour location.
However - you refer to Rangi channel and Noises triangle -two very different locations - rangi channel fishes best in good current and has alot more current than the 20m "flats " areas out wider towards noises. You want current running as thats where the feeding snapper will be - use just enough weight to maintain contact with bottom every 10 seconds or so - sort of bounce the soft bait on bottom.
There is no right or wrong way - whatever works one day may not the next - try casting softbait ahead of drift watching line carefully as it sinks - slow retrieve or twitch until directly on bottom straight under boat. Micro jigs i fish pretty much same way.
 Other times add more weight and drag softbait along bottom  ala Far quirk method behind boat.
Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 6:46pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

you need the right rod to work those weights. I'm using a shortish Daiwa coastal that I bought for fishing inchiku jigs. It's great for heavier gear to 100g or so. I wouldn't want to fish that sort of gear with a soft action long rod.
I might have to get another rod. My Okuma is a 6'6" (2.0m) and 3-6kg and it's a 2-piece job. Very bendy at the tip with a Daiwa AIRD 4000SH Spin reel.

Thanks Smudge. 
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 6:55pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

I sometimes use 1/4oz weight and hold bottom. - depends on the drift speed on the day.
If you are then you should have no problem maintaining contact with bottom in less than 20m with 1oz - even half oz with the help of a drogue to slow drift down.
Far Quirk has spent alot of time in perfecting a technique that works so well for him in the City channel - inner harbour. He is dragging the softbait/lure thru the mud and it works very well - by all means replicate this method for the harbour location.
However - you refer to Rangi channel and Noises triangle -two very different locations - rangi channel fishes best in good current and has alot more current than the 20m "flats " areas out wider towards noises. You want current running as thats where the feeding snapper will be - use just enough weight to maintain contact with bottom every 10 seconds or so - sort of bounce the soft bait on bottom.
There is no right or wrong way - whatever works one day may not the next - try casting softbait ahead of drift watching line carefully as it sinks - slow retrieve or twitch until directly on bottom straight under boat. Micro jigs i fish pretty much same way.
 Other times add more weight and drag softbait along bottom  ala Far quirk method behind boat.
Good luck
Hi RF.
Drifting at times yes. I must stress I have to go where the boat goes. It's a heavy old long-liner crewed mostly by cut-bait fisho's and so I am the solo SB'r standing at the bow. No drogue or sea-anchor.
At other times the boat is anchored to the bottom and I have to cast up-current and let the SB come back towards me. The current speed is my enemy I feel.

This concept of "maintaining contact" with the lure and/or the bottom is proving difficult for me recently.

I appreciate your post. Thanks!
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 7:04pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good luck

Redfinger is much more experienced in that area than I. Remember I fish in the muddy old Manukau and from an anchored boat usually. If drifting which in most areas works best then you really do need less weight. I cast in the direction of the drift so the lure spends more time on the bottom. I don't advocate using 4oz at all just saying that I have used up to that weight in some circumstances.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 7:09pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK - i see the problem - very difficult on anchor - maybe try gulp softbaits that are more of a bait as well as a lure. 
But yes the current will be dragging your bait away and up off the bottom all the time.
When i am softbaiting (allways on drift) i am hitting bottom every 10 seconds or so releasing line as i need to do to achieve this.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 7:16pm
Gold
Gold

Good luck

Redfinger is much more experienced in that area than I. Remember I fish in the muddy old Manukau and from an anchored boat usually. If drifting which in most areas works best then you really do need less weight. I cast in the direction of the drift so the lure spends more time on the bottom. I don't advocate using 4oz at all just saying that I have used up to that weight in some circumstances.
Understood Smudge. I have read about casting in the direction of the drift and when we drift I try to get to the bottom but I feel a heavier weighting is needed due to the current - hence my interest in the FQ reporting data.

1oz is 'heavy' on my rod so I guess 2oz will be a struggle to 'feel' what's going on down below.  A new rod might be the 'go' I got a $100 H&F voucher for Xmas so maybe a suitable shopping mission coming up. Wink
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 7:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Before you spend up on a new rod tell us what you're using? The line and leader weight can become very important in high current or deep water. For instance my braid of choice for 60g inchiku jigs in 60m of water off the west coast is 6lb to 10lb braid with a 20lb leader. Remember I am fishing from an anchored boat which I don't recommend for where you fish. Confusing eh! Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 7:25pm
Gold
Gold

OK - i see the problem - very difficult on anchor - maybe try gulp softbaits that are more of a bait as well as a lure. 
But yes the current will be dragging your bait away and up off the bottom all the time.
When i am softbaiting (allways on drift) i am hitting bottom every 10 seconds or so releasing line as i need to do to achieve this.

It's great that you' experienced' chaps post helpful info for us Noobs.

When anchored I cast the 'wrong' way i.e. backwards - so that the current brings the SB back to me. I have to wind a lot to keep the slack from accumulating in the line. 

I have never experienced a situation when 'releasing the line' has been needed to keep on the bottom while drifting.

I'm a Z-Man aficionado but was gifted a pottle of Gulps so they will be deployed next time out as well.

Thanks for your interest RF.
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 7:34pm
Gold
Gold

Yes, all very confusing...

Before you spend up on a new rod tell us what you're using? The line and leader weight can become very important in high current or deep water. For instance my braid of choice for 60g inchiku jigs in 60m of water off the west coast is 6lb to 10lb braid with a 20lb leader. Remember I am fishing from an anchored boat which I don't recommend for where you fish. Confusing eh! Big smile

Originally posted by Foxtrot Oscar Foxtrot Oscar wrote:

I might have to get another rod. My Okuma is a 6'6" (2.0m) and 3-6kg and it's a 2-piece job. Very bendy at the tip with a Daiwa AIRD 4000SH Spin reel.

Thanks Smudge. 
So I have the Okuma/Daiwa combo I posted about above. It was put together by Andy at the Silverdale fishing shop approx 6 years ago. In an earlier post I described how I bought it and looked at it for some time until I discovered this forum and learned what I was supposed to do with it.
This rod/reel combo is a very nice pairing and people who know tackle say it's very good quality. PE2 braid I think.

It has caught fish but recent results make me feel those fish were more by good luck than good management. 
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 8:14pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi FO

Here's my 2oz rig:

This is designed for big tides where the drift speed is around 2 knots or so.  I often stick the rod in the rodholder and let it drag about 20 to 30m behind the boat.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 8:43pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's the sort of set up I use FQ.

FO that's a reasonable combo. If I had $100 H&F voucher, I'd respool with Suffix 832 10lb braid, buy a spool of 20lb Black Magic supple trace, get a couple of popular softbaits and if there's any cash left a candy apple inchiku in 60g.

Or a collection of 1/2 to 2oz sinkers and some 5/0 worm hooks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 9:04pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Hi FO

Here's my 2oz rig:

This is designed for big tides where the drift speed is around 2 knots or so.  I often stick the rod in the rodholder and let it drag about 20 to 30m behind the boat.
Thanks FQ. And thanks for your interest earlier. Smile
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 9:20pm
Gold
Gold

That's the sort of set up I use FQ.

FO that's a reasonable combo. If I had $100 H&F voucher, I'd respool with Suffix 832 10lb braid, buy a spool of 20lb Black Magic supple trace, get a couple of popular softbaits and if there's any cash left a candy apple inchiku in 60g.

Or a collection of 1/2 to 2oz sinkers and some 5/0 worm hooks

I wonder how I find out or measure what braid I have now. It's yellow and has been pretty strong. (Andy spooled it on when I purchased the rod & reel.)
 I also have a spool each of Black Magics 20lb & 30lb Tough Fluorocarbon leader (yellow labels) and a roll of Berkley 50lb Trilene mono that I use for practising my knots. 

I have a good selection of Z-Man softbaits and some recently acquired paddle-tails from Kaveman that I'm keen to try.

My nearest H&F is Westgate so I'll have a wander around tomorrow maybe.

Thanks for your thoughts.
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 9:29pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Your other option would be to use a dropshot style rig, I have tied a few up but haven't had a chance to use them properly yet.

Just remember, a slimmer lure will get to the bottom with less weight than something like a paddle tail
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 9:40pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by makka makka wrote:

Your other option would be to use a dropshot style rig, I have tied a few up but haven't had a chance to use them properly yet.

Just remember, a slimmer lure will get to the bottom with less weight than something like a paddle tail
Hi Makka,
I see what you're saying about slim-jim lures. However, I was advised that the Paddle Tail types 'work' better (waggle) in the current than the Jerk Shads I've been using. I just need to be sure they (Paddle Tails) can get down to the bottom.
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 6:54am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

FO - check out the cyclops rig. Couple of other things come to mind, as you have realised, there is a depth where jigs become more useful than softbaits. Also, a key part of softbaiting (and jigging) is getting the drift right - as important, if not more important than style and colour of softbait, things we obsess about! I can't tell you how many people I've met who fail to get the drift right and then say that softies don't work. I'm afraid your circumstances against you, if your buddies aren't on board with the plan, it's going to make life difficult. It's not that you won't catch fish, but it'll be a hit and miss affair. 
Page  12>