Godfather in town, beware

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Godfather in town, beware
    Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 9:01am
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Saturday morning saw the last trip of the year starting off at Gulf harbour. Ramp not too busy at launch time and we were soon skimming our way out to middle ground. What followed was a relaxing day of talking bull, laughing and getting the occasional fish. Bruised banana did most of the damage and fish seem to be in great condition and feeding hard on the bottom. Late afternoon saw a snotty little souwester get everyone rushing back to the ramp at the same time…..this is where it got interesting.

We joined the queue and there were around 25 boats waiting patiently. I did some timing of the retrievals and longest was around 5 mins with the best clocking in an impressive 2m15sec. Well done that man. As we approached the pontoon a little gin palace came from behind the wall, passed about 8 boats behind us and tried to squeeze in front of us. Shouts of ‘Yo, excuse me’ rippled through the fleet and after some choice words were exchanged he managed to back out. Now this pillar of the community was at the helm of a big asked boat named THE GODFATHER and the Don looked to be accompanied by the wife and two grown sons and he was not giving up on making sure that he was going to do this his way.

One more legitimate entry tied up behind us and lo and behold, the Don was back. He then snuck back in at the end of the pontoon and once more the cry of WTF went up. But no, it appeared he was just dropping of one of his lieutenants (this is what he told us)….perhaps the fine young man had an urgent need to fulfill. At this point I would really like to mention how pleasant and helpful everyone on the ramp was. There was everything from solo fishers to mums and kids trying to control and move along the boats with a stiff little breeze trying to make it more difficult. Everyone was really great and everything kept moving and made it a pleasure, until……..

Our turn was up and suddenly a ute and big trailer that I did not recognize came rushing down the ramp and stopped at just enough of an angle for, you guessed it….the Don was back. With the very high tide he managed to sneak back in along the shore and drove straight up the trailer, also a no no but at this stage the least of his transgressions . As recoveries go, his was one of the quickest but that did little to endear him to the crowd of tired sunblasted boaties waiting their turn. During this process the Don (and Mrs Don) stayed firmly seated on their little palace and his only contribution to the colorful exchange was to say “ We are from Canterbury and that’s the way we do it” and with that they left in a cloud of righteous dust.

The saddest thing was that they seemed very proud to have pulled this off. Well done Don, and Mrs Don, you have taught your pups that it is ok to lie and cheat to get what you want by not respecting those around you. In hindsight it would have been great having some pics or a vid but we were all too busy holding boats and helping each other, you should try it sometime. If indeed they come from Canterbury, and will return there, then I feel sorry for Cantabrians…this they don’t deserve. If by some great misfortune la familia have relocated to Auckland then we have truly got the hind tit, but on the brighter side it means our paths will almost certainly cross again and when that happens we can see if we can teach you how we do it in Auckland. So Don, we are not angry with you. Just very disappointed.

To all, a fun and fishy new year

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 9:31am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Idiot...karma comes back sooner or later - reminds me of guy who hit a rock in his launch had to call Coastguard and get rescued - according to herald article - lady in boat was not his wife....LOL!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 9:59am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

He may be rude but I guess he is fabulously wellthy therefore is entitled to do what ever he wants. He will probably get an MBE or something one day. Ermm
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 11:31am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Next time I think just make him an offer he can't refuse Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 11:54am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

Next time I think just make him an offer he can't refuse Wink

For his Mrs or the boat Dave?LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 12:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hmmmm...wonder if he has a horse. Must have, he sure behaves like the rear end of one. About that offer, don't think I want a woman who rears such pond scum and the boat surely has a load of bad karma following it😱😇
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 2:34pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Silly season..be it gin palaces that have a big MT ocean then go across the stern and hook up the livey..
Full tilt 30m a small  less than 5m boat at anchor...
Travelling in the harbour/ inner gulf on auto pilot.. in throw a sinker range.
Many of these also often , 'preveraged ' actions of the rich and ignorant..
 And to add insult , they give a freindly wave..
 And not just gin palaces.
 Other day couple kayakers happy paddling in the direction of top end of ponui.. on dusk, just off dudders out in the middle.
 CG heading to them to pick them up... "lost"

Silly season.
 Fortunately most of these accidents waiting to happen are seasonal, at most summer weekenders.

Would licensing help?
compulsory skippers?
  yep ...as much as ALL vehicles have fully licences drivers,, and all drivers drive safe with curiosity and common sense.

Welcome to the real world.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 2:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Would licensing help?
compulsory skippers?
  yep ...as much as ALL vehicles have fully licences drivers,, and all drivers drive safe with curiosity and common sense.

Welcome to the real world.

Yepp I'm pretty sure there is a requirement for vehicle drivers to be licensed. I just can't figure out why there were two major crashes in Waiuku today. Surely licensing would have prevented that? Evil Smile

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 2:58pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hence the reason I am at work till the 13th,hopefully most of the idiots are back at work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 2:59pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Don's modus operandi is something I have seen debated vigorously from both sides on other boating / fishing forums. It comes down to where should the queue form i.e. should the queue form in the order that boats arrive back at the ramp or should the arrival of trailers at the ramp dictate the retrieval order of boats. Advocates of the later claim dropping a crew member off on the jetty and then moving away from the jetty waiting for the trailer to arrive will result in a faster turn around and I can see the thinking behind this. How often have we observed people wasting time and taking forever to get their trailers after tying off their boat off at the finger jetty.

The problem is that when both methods are used those that are sitting back waiting their turn to approach the jetty view others as queue jumpers and I would as well. I can however see the merit in both methods but when both approaches are used at a ramp there is always going to be friction.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 3:58pm
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting view. I could see that working at a ramp that does not have space for boats to tie up while awaiting their trailers. Everyone would then drop off, back away and first come first serve as the trailers arrive.

As for Gulf and others like it, the boat at the front of the pontoon is usually only a trailer length back. If I had moved our boat into position instead of holding back when I saw what was about to happen, there would have been a real chance of a collision. With pontoons I think it can only work on a first in first out basis.

What would he have done in a queue at the supermarket or take away? It's called patience and being considerate. The way I deal with a situation like that is to give a helping hand to speed things up...not piss all over everyone. Believe me, the Don was not trying to speed things up for the rest of us...he was only concerned with himself and his litter.

As for registration/licencing....well, a piece of paper will not make him a better person.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 4:33pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Transformations Transformations wrote:

Interesting view. I could see that working at a ramp that does not have space for boats to tie up while awaiting their trailers. Everyone would then drop off, back away and first come first serve as the trailers arrive.

This also works well when people drive their boats onto the tralier. In such cases there is no need to be alongside the finger jetty / pontoon. I have seen instances over here on a dual ramp between pontoons where there is sufficient room for a third trailer to be backed down between the two lanes. This normally results in a few words being exchanged but you will generally find that they are in, out and gone before the others each side of them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 9:26pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

This also works well when people drive their boats onto the tralier. In such cases there is no need to be alongside the finger jetty / pontoon. I have seen instances over here on a dual ramp between pontoons where there is sufficient room for a third trailer to be backed down between the two lanes. This normally results in a few words being exchanged but you will generally find that they are in, out and gone before the others each side of them.

I might not be popular but I agree, makes sense to me to drop off the driver , that means much less time waiting for everybody. 
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 7:42am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

I might not be popular but I agree, makes sense to me to drop off the driver , that means much less time waiting for everybody. 

Possibly so provided the person dropped off waits until it is their turn to retrieve before jumping the queue by backing their trailer down the ramp.

Imagine the absolute chaos that would result if everyone decided to
be inconsiderate enough to try & jump the queue ?
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 8:44am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree with the dropping off where possible but again manners are most important.
The ramp I use mostly is Anglers lodge north of Coromandel town and whereas its a single lane ramp you can hold your boat (except for an hour either side of low) to the side and allow 2 boats most the time. 99% of the time there is no problem but some even hook the boat up then start putting rods away and all sorts of other maintenance things that can be done once you move away from the ramp. I wind the boat on a attach the chain then drive away to the parking area before the bung and other things are done. The rods are secured before traveling back to the ramp.
Some from Christchurch hate Aucklanders so much that they believe its their god given right to  not treat them with the respect they would want.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 9:11am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Barrie Barrie wrote:

Some from Christchurch hate Aucklanders so much that they believe its their god given right to  not treat them with the respect they would want.

Oi!
That's a bit rich Barrie~~we luff you Auckwarders
LOLLOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 9:28am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can't agree with the dropping off thing. Most boats not all but most in that queue would have had a boat skipper and a mate to get the trailer. So if majority took that approach where does that leave the solo fisho in his tiny or the guy whos out with his young kids...Going backwards in the queue...
Common sense and courtesy seem to be getting less common.
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 9:49am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What amazes me, espec on weekends over summer period..
We get caught in them, and 'know' this right?
Sure 11:30 to 1pm ish there is a que along side the pontoon.. 2 3 boats , not an issue.
 Then mid arvo, the que goes to boats circling out beyond..

If we know" this why the hell do we come in within those brief hours?
 Why wait in the que? spend another hr hr 1/2 out on the water rather than circle in a que. To me its a no brainier...

OH yeah its the same reason everyone wants to head away on holidays all within the same few hrs... and head home.. then ***** about the traffic cause cant get out of bed a couple hrs early and miss it all...
And the funny thing is, I rem that traffic, from harbour bridge, to wakworth , and pokeno sth... back in the early 60s thru to today..
Slow learners?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:05pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I guess i am fortunate, i launch at a beach, and there is rarely a queue, except at full tide, when there is only room for two. Trailers are within a few meters generally. Tractors park down the beach a bit.
Only trouble we get, is cars parked on the narrow access road, making it difficult for tractors and boats to pass. Or knobs trying to drive to the ramp access, and not letting other people out.
Then mr whippy parks there to sell icecreams, a verbal caution resulting in abuse, so when his van was clipped by a trailer, he got the message.
Its only for a week each year..i will survive it.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 12:20pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Like Big Dave, I to launch off beaches and that sort of ramp more often than not because I can.

But on those occasions where the wind makes it difficult as I usually fish alone (sad bugger with no friends comes to mind), what would your suggestions be for coming back in where there's a queue and I have to go get the car?

I usually leave the boat tied to the very end of the pontoons if there is one (gulf harbour, westhaven and half moon bay) or on the beach (bucklands beach and Takapuna) till I've got the trailer on the ramp, I get some crap occasionaly about not having the boat ready to load.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Page  12>