"BIG REDS" on livebaits - Bay of Islands

Post Options Post Options   Likes (7) Likes(7)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "BIG REDS" on livebaits - Bay of Islands
    Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 10:00am
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

One thing I'm really starting to enjoy when heading North to my mate Darren's place is live-baiting for big Snaps...

Heading out before light and cleaning up on livies is a great start to the day, this time of year the bay is full of Mac's and takes no time to full the bait tank.

Dropping livies and then waiting for those nervous twitches generating up through the rod you know there is something seriously harassing the hell out of ya Mac, I like to fish with the bail arm open and after a few long runs flick it back and wait for the rod to load up on the next run...

The other great thing when using livies is you have a good chance for a Johny or a King as well Big smile

Last year we had a great time with plenty of fish but being there earlier this time it was a little more quiet but much bigger fish Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote captain.Gav. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 12:07pm
captain.Gav. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi, can i please ask what type of livebait rig you are using ? is it same as a kingie livebait rig or different ?  Gav.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote daz500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 5:42pm
daz500 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

great session jas ,                                                                                                    and in answer to your question Gav 1/2 oz ball sinker on just over a mtr trace straight on top of an 8/0 hook ,
I put the hook through just in front of the tail first then on an angle forward just in front of the dorsal fin , works for me ,
I had another keen fisho with me on tues in same place and tide with same results,
so still plenty of big fish about ,

Daz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 8:09pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by captain.Gav. captain.Gav. wrote:

Hi, can i please ask what type of livebait rig you are using ? is it same as a kingie livebait rig or different ?  Gav.
Hi c Gav

I like to do it a couple diff ways -

With a bit of weight (1-2oz) straight through the nose sinker on top of hook - this slows the livie down to...

With 1/2oz I go right through tail then once through top of fin then in barb just in and out behind the wing - or now same thing but after the top fin put barb through nose then ball sinker half twist to tail where you started...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 8:12pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by daz500 daz500 wrote:

great session jas ,                                                                                                    and in answer to your question Gav 1/2 oz ball sinker on just over a mtr trace straight on top of an 8/0 hook ,
I put the hook through just in front of the tail first then on an angle forward just in front of the dorsal fin , works for me ,
I had another keen fisho with me on tues in same place and tide with same results,
so still plenty of big fish about ,

Daz
Yip another "Epic day" out with ya Smile whens our next mishWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 8:25am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Jase, Great fish and photo'sThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 8:18pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Nice Jase, Great fish and photo'sThumbs Up
Cheers Geoff - was a fun day Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 8:45am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishwhisperer that’s a interesting rig. And looks successful.
I spend my time trying to have the lively look fresh and last but you add a sinker to the hooked lively directly to slow it down - not a running sinker?

I guess this would make the bait look stressed and induce a bite and would prevent tangles of active fish crossing over other baits...
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 4:27pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Fishwhisperer that’s a interesting rig. And looks successful.
I spend my time trying to have the lively look fresh and last but you add a sinker to the hooked lively directly to slow it down - not a running sinker?

I guess this would make the bait look stressed and induce a bite and would prevent tangles of active fish crossing over other baits...
Hi R D - yip sometimes I use that way if I use a heavier sinker (1-2oz) and mtr trace - with this rig If I don't half hitch the sinker to the tail it still runs up the trace but once the fish are on the bite I half hitch the 1/2oz sinker to the tail, this gets it down there quicker and yip stops tangles and because the sinker is light it swims under stress motions - they seem to survive for good 30mins and longer if not threaded to harshly - it is very successful esp when we fish around 30-40mtrs at times.