splicing tasline elite

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:18pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi thanks for your replies.  Gave Tony a call at Yeehaa and they sorted me out with 700m of Power pro.  Arrived in kaitaia next day.  Still dont know how they get stuff couriered so quickly!  many thanks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 2:19pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep can definitely be done. Get a daho needle and do as Swordfrish steve says. I managed 1.5m up mine with 80lb moimoi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Gwandad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 8:18pm
Gwandad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am absolutely STOKED that all you fullas have had massive problems with Tasline Elite Hollow!

I thought it was just me being a useless dick as usual.

Seriously - like Legacy, I first got into the stuff about 4 years ago, but due to yet another aberration in my already pretty winky DNA I have been stuck in an addiction cycle ever since.  I hate it all Winter, then I see a high pressure system appear on the map, and a bit of 20 degree water and I'm all over it again like a Lost Cause.

And when I was finally broken, it suddenly got much, much worse - my eyes suddenly got old and wouldn't see properly any more.

JUST last weekend I helped out a fellow sufferer who had been shown the Dark Side (by me, HAHAHAHA!) via some Powerpro and thought he'd be qualified after a couple of hours of that, to leap carefree into the Tasline whirlpool.  >PeeYOWW--!!!  He wuz sooo WRONG...!

What makes a HUGE difference when you're starting out is having an open mind, a philosophical mood, a bit of spare 'sacrificial' line, and ample free time for the learning process.  When you 'get it', trust me, it's worth it. (Well perhaps not, but at least find out for yourself).

And, with respect, you WILL want needles.  (You will thank this idiot for that advice.  And trust me, gratuities would be appreciated, or a crew spot on your marlin machine might do too).

I tried and tried without needles, and eventually I really started wanting to kill something, regardless what cunning tricks I devised (and my mind devises with surprising dexterity if I'm desperate - like after I chopped down my Dad's tree when I was eight).  I found trying to splice tasline without needles is just another form of self-flagellation.  I know deep down I'm generally useless, but regardless, I'd still STRONGLY recommend some needles.  And bonus - they're cool - who wouldn't want some anyway?

Get some needles.  They're cheap as chips in the big picture.  And I'd probably recommend a 'set', including a latch needle - mainly because besides being without equal for loops I reckon latch needles are custard cool.  How the hell do they even MAKE those things, they're so fine!!!

If you use needles, if you soften the line, and if you make pain your friend, you've moved a bit further towards success and a strut in your strides instead of the limpness of the hordes.

If you check the line carefully as it comes off the spool, you'll notice it is very flat, quite 'hard', and even has 'edges', or 'creases'.  (One of the advantages of hollow braids is that they flatten out as they lay on your spool).  The Tasline Elite I've encountered almost feels starchy, and trying to get a needle up it in this condition will result in a quick spiral to high blood pressure.  The needle just keeps trying to bust out the side, or catch the weave.

First, the idea is to take the line coming off the spool between thumb and forefinger and roll it back and forth, massaging it sweetly, softly... (while the other hand raises a glass momentarily, which is another factor beneficial to happy and relaxed process).  The line will soften up quite well and lose its edge and starchy feel.  It will then be much easier (relatively) to splice.

A mate of mine also found accidentally, that if he applied a VERY subtle VERY light tension to the braid coming off the spool to the needle, progress is helped.  This is very hard to explain but if you experiment long enough, you WILL (some of you won't Yin Yang) get it and then it'll make sense.

Swordfish Steve also gave me the advice to be flexible with needle size - sometimes, narrowing the mono down more so it'll go into the next needle size down makes things far easier.

Of course, as mentioned in other posts the Tasline seems to have 'tight spots in its weave' where you will definitely have to slow down and focus again, even if you're as good as me.  It's just that with practice these bits won't be the frustration they first appear to be, and then you'll suddenly be back to the easier stuff again.  The tighter the weave, the more softening it might need. (But I'm only talking another ten seconds or so here, +/-, maybe twenty???)

Having sort of worked it out, I can now get a thoroughly excessive two metre splice in about ten minutes flat (meaning fifteen) on average (not including whips etc).  I do slow down after a couple of joins pretty much soley because of the meagre whiskey-based lubrication involved.  But I am struggling to find a suitable replacement for that so let's move on....

The mate I mentioned earlier was really suffering when I arrived to give him a hand.  I found him half hidden under a mountain of broken dreams and kilometers of Tasline.  To say he couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel was about right.  We sat there (me at a self-deludingly safe distance from him and his stack of abused and lethal splicing needles) and we had a massive session on loops and splices - until he ran out of whiskey and mussels I assume...

(Later) the next day I was messaged by him thanking me and explaining that the line softening trick in particular had made a HUGE difference to his progress and that he was now churning out leader splices like a crazy man.

I persevered with tasline mainly because I am a parochial *******.  But I'm evidently also masochistic and stubborn too which helps even more.

I also reckon its worth persevering with because I think it's sh3thot line.

If you got this far through my post, you're a deserving machine - Tasline won't be a prob.

Good luck.  And don't forget my crew spot (ok - "pleeease").

HAAAANNNG ON!  I fergot something.  But I kind of assumed everyone knows not to start a splice by trying to stick a needle up the very end of the braid, right?  Always start somewhere up a bit, and go in from the side.  I read something by someone who actually KNEW what he was doing, that if you leave enough tag end you can use that to do the whip finish. (I tried, and no great surprise, it works well).

Carry on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 9:25am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What a story

Nice read.

Good solid info.

Got it.

Check

Its actually not that hard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 12:18pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Also heard that wetting the braid makes it easier.
Have a full set of Daha needles and they are great!
Also guitar strings are great to insert into hollow braid for inserting solid mono into hollow braid.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gwandad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 1:14pm
Gwandad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Also heard that wetting the braid makes it easier.

...I cried over mine a lot when I started out, then I spilled some whisky on it - didn't seem to help though...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 1:19pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I’ve just had my first experience splicing into tasline elite, using 100lb tasline and 80lb momoi with a 60-80lb Daho needle.
I found the first one really hard due to the tight weave, the second couple I found if before starting the splice I rolled the length of braid I was splicing into between my fingers it loosened the weave and the splicing was as easy as Jerry Brown. I did four 2m splices, pretty happy with the braid.
6.7m Surtees PureFisher - "Kraken"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gwandad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 1:56pm
Gwandad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good effort Stonefish.

Couple of thoughts...

I'm looking at loading some Tasline hollow onto an 80W in the near future. I'll be making a choice between 100lb and 130lb.

Previously I've spliced 80lb Momoi into 70lb Tasline, (Momoi being a bigger dia and therefore a little more tricky than 80lb Sufix); and I've spliced 80lb and 130lb mono into 130lb Tasline, which was fine too, but I haven't tried 130lb mono into 100lb Tasline... - I think it might turn out to be a drama. Anyone tried that combination?

If it isn't practical I doubt I could be bothered splicing a section of 130 hollow to the main load of 100 just to make it happen. I'd probably just go 130 for the lot, even though 100lb would otherwise be my preferred option.

Also, as mentioned several times, Tasline is fairly 'rigid' when it comes off the factory spool. (This is a close enough description I think, although I personally don't mean that as a comparison to other hollow braids because I haven't used any others!) . This initially seems to be a PITA but it might have a hidden advantage. I reckon it's a result of the line being packed onto the factory spool really tightly, which is good...
Page  <12