Mercury 90HP 2 Stroke Fuel Issues

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mercury 90HP 2 Stroke Fuel Issues
    Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 3:21pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My motor has developed an intermittent fault that produces fuel starving symptoms. While running at 4000-4500 RPM the motor dies which can usually be halted by giving it more throttle. Not sure about the significance of this but the priming bulb goes soft and the starving issues can often be resolved by squeezing the bulb a few times. Yesterday it stopped while I was flushing the motor and only by priming could I start it again. I have heard anecdotally that the fuel pump diaphragm should be replaced every two years. Has anyone had this problem and will pump diaphragm replacement resolve it? TIA for your thoughts and suggestions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 3:33pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

first thing i would check is for air getting in at any of the connections. failed Orings or perished hose or priming bulb. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 4:40pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

sounds like a vacuum problem, or the pressure bulb not a happy unit.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 4:52pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check the fuel lines from the primer bulb to the tank. Also check if opening the tank cap fixes it (in case the tank breather is a little blocked). The bulb can feel soft on some engines when running, but because that fixes the problem I would start by checking for air leaks (as already mentioned), blocked tank pickup (could be something inside the tank blocking the pickup occasionally), blocked breather, and as you already mentioned yourself a bad fuel pump. Being so intermittent makes the fuel pump a little less likely but certainly not impossible. Is the engine carb'd or injected?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 6:49pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

CanadianJohn thanks for your reply. I have changed connection fittings on both the fuel line to the tote tank and on all tote tanks. I have also changed the priming bulb and the fuel line to and from the bulb.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 6:51pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

notalloyit thanks for your reply. I have changed the bulb.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 6:59pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tacit thanks for your reply. The motor is carbueretted. The breather vents are fully open and even occurs with the tank cap loosened. Early on In my ownership of this boat I forgot to open the vent in the tank and the motor did starve eventually but the vacuum also partially collapsed the tank so I have eliminated breather problems. One of your suggestions that hasn't occurred to me yet is a partially blocked pick up. However I have 3 tanks (one only two years old) and the problem occurs on all of them. However it is certainly something I will check.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 4:07pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you are still having problems get the fuel pump checked, brother had same problems with his 90merc, ended up being fuel pump. mechcanic said might of been caused from being over primmed. 
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 7:49am
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am having the exact same problem with mine. It happens on all 4 different tote tanks so thought it must be a perished fuel line so replaced the whole thing including bulb but it’s still doing it. Did you figure out the cause of your issues Boyo? I was going to replace the fittings to totes and outboard next but I’m guessing it is a fuel pump issue now. Mines a 95 90hp mariner
Go the Warriors!