Replacing light gauge hook rigs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing light gauge hook rigs
    Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 5:05pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi guys.was just wondering how often any one using light gauge hook rigs replace them.im running bonze double hook wire rigs and am in two minds weather or not start the season with fresh rigs or carry on using them .hooks look fine and I've sprayed with tackle guard b4 putting away for the winter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 9:16am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can you still scratch your finger nail by lightly dragging the point over your finger nail? If so then they're ok.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 7:48pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

we been getting 3 ta 4 days fishing with them if u wash with fresh water everyday and then dry them then re apply zinc when needed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 9:02pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

3 or 4 days for a hook!
Really??😮
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 9:57pm
Gold
Gold

Cheers for the feed back guys.i run same hooks all season and only replace if caught a fish.but always make sure zinc tape is on and run the file over the point if it feels a bit dull.hi segador.are you seeing hook degradation after 4 days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Merci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 11:15pm
Merci View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Im interested in this ...
After lots of resistance (because our hook up rate was good) we swapped to this system last year for nationals as ran light gear and hooks were proper blunt in all the main lures before the week was out. Is it normal practise to sharpen light gauge hooks? or should they be replaced every 3 - 4 days as Troy says?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 6:12am
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Last season I started rigging them with thin heat shrink over the wire in the loop that goes through the hook eye.
I think isolating the hook from the stainless made a difference.
Stu
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 8:34am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would there be any degradation if you rigged onto mono? Still putting zinc onto the hook shank?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 9:48am
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by White snake White snake wrote:

Hi guys.was just wondering how often any one using light gauge hook rigs replace them.im running bonze double hook wire rigs and am in two minds weather or not start the season with fresh rigs or carry on using them .hooks look fine and I've sprayed with tackle guard b4 putting away for the winter.

As for the rigs bro as long as the hooks are tacky sharp then they are sweet but the wire in the rig needs replacing,

Dont forget the fatuige on the wire.

Ive run hooks all season and they have stayed sharp generaly just replace zinc when it starts getting eaten away 

If they dull then you can sharpen tht tip with a fine dimond file but once you start to sharpen the hook you take the coating off and they will start to rust faster 

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 10:48am
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm just fussy you guys probably get much longer out of them by touching them up with a file but for me when you spend all this money on fuel and time and all the other expenses a new hook rig is so cheap takes me 5 mins to make a new one and i know if a fish eats that lure I'm guna have a bloody good chance at putting a tag in it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 12:47pm
Gold
Gold

Cheers guys for helping clarify that.its really not worth the risk.losing a fish for the sake of a hook rig seems ludicrous considering the amount of money we spend on gas and carona in a season.👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 3:16pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Maybe it's not your hooks but your choice of beer that is the problem ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 3:40pm
Gold
Gold

Sorry kikback I was referring to the part Latino beer wench.hence the name carona.😁
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 5:17pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jeez - same Dojo LG hooks been catching fish for several seasons - got a good hook up rate....dress with diamond file, regularly. Seems to work??  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joshy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 6:26pm
Joshy123 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This cracks me up...people are happy to change there hooks every time they go snapper fishing but think they can run the same set of hooks all game season.
We change our light gauge every couple of days would rather know that when we get bit they stick.!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 6:38pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Joshy123 Joshy123 wrote:

This cracks me up...people are happy to change there hooks every time they go snapper fishing but think they can run the same set of hooks all game season.
We change our light gauge every couple of days would rather know that when we get bit they stick.!
finally someone who gets it 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 9:52pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Get some decent hooks and look after them. They will land lots of fish.
Good hooks have been doing the job way longer than the current fad.

BTW - my snapper hooks never get changed every trip but they do get checked.
Chaque a son gout, eh?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SurTAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 2:47pm
SurTAS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Please, not this again. Each to their own. I’m stoked people on here share their learnings about differing systems, of which hooks are only a part. We’re all much better for it...

But let’s avoid the negative narrative, it’s been done to death.

Back to adding to the conversation. Definitely the bonze light gauge are a small cost component of a season, if it doesn’t look 100% why run it? Same goes for everything on a marlin boat! I just hope my crew don’t apply the same logic to me some days;)

We’re also trying to isolate the hook from the wire this year, the bigger eyes make this achievable without sacrificing movement.

Going to wash and put some clear on the tips post a fine sharpen (sorry it’s a habit) after each trip too, as it seems the point is the main place they fizz. Ran some without zinc last year and they sure did fizz.

Personally im not a fan of mono to the hooks, feels like a good few thrashing’s and a big bad boy marlin will saw through depending on hook location (or just bill wrapped), not saying it won’t work but our aim is to maximize the opportunities to catch fish, not save money on hooks.   

Really looking forward to the incoming AKL petrol tax though... seriously!
Just 1 more....