Interesting morning in the harbour

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Localhooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 5:54pm
Localhooker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well out from te atatu boat club 8am this morning headed out to meola reef for a look. Anchored up in 7m dropped line over bang 53cm snapper 1st fish. Long and short of it ended up with 12 snapper for 2 of us. Smallest fish was 36cm most of them mid 40s, great morning out back at the ramp by 11.30am.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 1:46pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shot out at 5:30 this morning with the son to see what was happening in the harbour after all the bad weather recently. By 7:30 we had 5 fish from 37cm to 51cm in the bin fishing my low tide spot, Expected things to pick up as the incoming tide started to run but started getting weeded on every drop so moved to another spot for a drift but still getting weed. Tried two more spots on the drift and at anchor but weed everywhere so gave up around 9ish and came back in.
First part of the incoming is my least preferred tide in the harbour and the weed bonus this morning along with the building wind and building boat traffic made an early trip home sound like a good idea. Upside of the day was that on our previous trip my son declared that his next fishing target (amongst a decent list) was to get a 50cm Snapper. This morning he got one at 51cm so a happy chappie even though we were back early. Quick talk about his next target started with "how long was your biggest Snapper dad?". Around 85cm I told him and that instantly became his idea for his next target. I suggested that he might have hair the colour of mine before he saw that fish and a 55cm or 60cm target might be a less frustrating one for now. Then - "how do you catch Hapuka dad?" Told him go to the gym first as even a 25kg Puka from 200m will make his skinny 14 year old arms buckle. "25kg, gee I would like to catch one of those". Might need to take some video when we get him hooked up. Just got to decide whether I show him what a gimbal belt is first or let him learn to beg Wink
Son was running one of my strange new rigs this morning and topped the fish count in volume and size. Not enough fish to really take anything from that today though.
Page  <12