Rotorua Lakes Fly Fishing Help

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotorua Lakes Fly Fishing Help
    Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 3:59pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi, New to fly fishing, Been doing a bit of of river fishing in the waikato region,
I am heading to Rotorua for work tomorrow and will take my fly fishing gear and try have a go over there.
I have seen guys fly fishing the lake edges, so i will give this a go at the below spots as marked, 
Can anyone let me know if they are nymph fishing with indicators or just casting dry flies?
they seem to be casting out and stripping line back until the leader is at the rod tip then casting back out again, 
I haven't fly fished like this before,
Any advice much appreciated, or if anyone is going out for a fish and would like some company it would be good to be shown around by a local.
Thanks Tony.

http://www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 6:40pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

alot of fshing at stream mouths this time of year and improves as lake temps warm / river temps cold so fish congregate in cool river delta areas.
Floating or slow sink fly lines and a whole host of flies to try - locals will have right patterns - smelt imitations, bully imitations, glo flies at night  - go for your life. Just cast out as far as you can and retrieve at variety of speeds until you find what works  - or watch a local.
Ask at local fishing tackle shop re current conditions and whats working.