Minn kota

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C Pick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minn kota
    Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 8:49pm
C Pick View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Has anyone here used one of these things?

How good are they for holding a position over a mark? What limitations for wind/tide etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 10:27pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have the 12v 55pound thrust on my 495 frewza I haven't had it long but I've used it in 130 m of water holding on top of a pin while jigging kings up worked really good and I have spot locked over a rocky bottom in 300 meters and it did great . If it's rough it does cavitate I should have got the longer shaft but I'm not really going out in those conditions anyway but for what I wanted it for it's perfect well worth the coin I spent on it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 10:31pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I got to have a play with one at the boat show. Limited to displacement speeds only, so that's the max with respect to current etc. 6km/h+-

They would also make a semi useful aux depending on how far out you are. Would at least keep you out of trouble and bow into the waves while you sort something out. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C Pick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 10:45pm
C Pick View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good info thanks guys. I was considering one as an alternative to a sea anchor, not sure how it would cope with the windage on my 6.5m HT.

At 55lb thrust, what hp would that equate to?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 11:34pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not sure but the 55 is rated to 6 meter boats if you had the cash to throw around I reckon the big one 36v I think it's 113 lb thrust Auto Deploy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 7:54am
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Roofless Roofless wrote:

I have the 12v 55pound thrust on my 495 frewza I haven't had it long but I've used it in 130 m of water holding on top of a pin while jigging kings up worked really good and I have spot locked over a rocky bottom in 300 meters and it did great . If it's rough it does cavitate I should have got the longer shaft but I'm not really going out in those conditions anyway but for what I wanted it for it's perfect well worth the coin I spent on it

Hi Roofless

Any chance of some pics of the minn kota set up. Any thing you would do different, better next time?

Thanks

CBF
Whk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 3:18pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Maybe the next shaft size longer but it's really good for my kingie fishing wouldn't change anything else
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:03pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have the 55lb 12v on a FC560 c/c with a 130ah deep cycle battery and its only just enough for this size of boat. Yours would need a 24 or 36v unit.

However, they are absolutely brilliant for holding over deep water reefs and can be used to point into the swell/wind at a low speed to effectively drift slowly backwards. You need a lot less lead this way.

We rarely anchor these days and its a breeze to relocate a few metres away chasing bait schools which you wouldn't do if it meant pulling the anchor. 

Some current draw stats below. You don't really want to go much below 50% of a deep cycle battery capacity in a usage.

Here are some results that I got off the net for current draw from a Minn Kota 55Lb Terrova.
These results are pretty consistent with all other test results that I have seen.
Motor Speed......Current Draw (Amps)
1...................... 0.9
2...................... 1.5
3...................... 3.2
4...................... 5.2
5...................... 8.4
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 7:13pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great thread thanks! anyone tried one around Welly in our big currents? would be curious to know if they could keep a boat locked onto a spot down this way - be a great investment if they do! thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 7:46pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Davo Davo wrote:

great thread thanks! anyone tried one around Welly in our big currents? would be curious to know if they could keep a boat locked onto a spot down this way - be a great investment if they do! thanks

Roofless fishes a bit in the Manukau, maybe he knows how the Minn Kota's handle the big currents
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:30am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The bigger the voltage the more efficient in use of Amp Hours they are.

So a 36v unit will use approx 2/3 the AH of a 12v unit and maybe a little less. Down side is that you need 3 batteries at around 30kg each.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 11:51am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was very tempted by one of these when I bought my boat, but once you get above the 12v models it starts to get expensive for all those batteries.  Maybe once we're all driving battery cars the cost will start to come down a bit with volume.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 6:41pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Relatively new technology that will only get better, battery and electric motor improvements will get better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 7:00pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I haven't actually tried it in the Manukau yet but I have done a bit with it up off North Cape and there's some good currents there ,I was in 130 meters of water jigging for kings had a decent current there and the minn kota handled that perfect held me on top of the pin . Had both my sounders going stereo on outboard turned off and my voltage didn't drop below 12.2
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 7:04pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I know someone that has one on their 610 Surtees, he said he tested it by parking in the middle of Tauranga harbour entrance with tide running and it held him on the spot, not sure what model he's got though.
6.7m Surtees PureFisher - "Kraken"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 7:15am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

awesome thanks guys. sounds like a great way of fishing in the deep. think i'll add it to my list of things for a boat! from what i've read on hull truth its worth running them via 24 or 36 volts which also means adding a few batteries to the shopping list too...

thanks again for the friendly advice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 6:34pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Windage can be calculated. 

A surtees would have a surface area of about 4 square meters. 

At 20knots thats about 24kg of pressure going down to 6kg at 10knots. There would be some decrease (max half) if the boat is head on to the wind and reasonably streamlined. 

So 25-50 odd pounds thrust just to keep on station in 20knots, down to 6-13 at 10 knots. Thats without current, waves etc.

I'd get the biggest you can afford if you plan to anchor on windy days.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 11:42am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On my FC560 c/c with a 12v motor at maximum speed 10/10 in 20-25 wind plus swell I get only 2 hours max before the deep cycle drops below 50% safe current draw before charging. The outboard charging is not sufficient to recharge much on the water so a recharge on land with a smart charger is a MUST ... EVERY USE.

Yesterday in excellent conditions we were averaging 1/10 power whilst live baiting over a reef for kingies and could have run all day.

I must say that this is the best fishing accessory ever and has improved our results dramatically.

Below is a chart of current draw for a 12v Minn Kota and a normal size battery is 130AH. You can double this by 2 x 260AH 6v batteries end-to-end in series to get 260AH at 12V for extended life. At 30kg per battery each option these are enough weight to man handle around.

Here are some results that I got off the net for current draw from a Minn Kota 55Lb Terrova.
These results are pretty consistent with all other test results that I have seen.
Motor Speed......Current Draw (Amps)
1...................... 0.9
2...................... 1.5
3...................... 3.2
4...................... 5.2
5...................... 8.4