Gamefishing Updates - Houhora to The 3 Kings 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gamefishing Updates - Houhora to The 3 Kings 17/18
    Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:38pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Game-fishing reports, updates, and pics here. Good luck for the  season.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 12:16pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ive been canyon fishing for my first two trips.  Very early starts.  1st day saw a spear fish and a huge fish that ate a live skippie on the surface that "ran" like a blue but stayed deep.  my braid parted after 15mins of epicness.  That is a fish that will keep me up at night.  12.5kg of drag and was nothing to it and boy that reel was singing.

Couple nice albies released

1st time weve seen a shortbill!

next trip saw us explore very very wide again and found some good sounder sign huge marks 200m deep, some Terns like kahawai bird diving (didnt know that they travelled that far from land), free jumper, albacore - spewing up squid etc.  and even managed a couple of small yfin choca full of pillies.  Not exactly what we were after for the miles we did but GREAT start to the season.  Silas Burton my bro ticked two 1st timer fish off his list with Spear fish and fin.    No 1 lure on both days was the Bonze Pinapple express run on the shotgun.  Big shout out to bonze who has simplified the workings on my boat for the dredge system, changed the way I run my riggers which has made a world of difference in a sloppy sea. All to ben carey for some fab advice
 chur

this guy was spewing up squid

Great to see these again

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 1:10pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How’d you improve your rigger setup?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 1:30pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those small YFT would make great  livebaits for BFT or a blue....
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 3:40pm
Platinum
Platinum

Updated photos

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 3:46pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Great pix! Nice work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 4:50pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Jake and teamClapClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 7:07am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A decent spread of species!👍
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 9:21am
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good start jake u might get all the species this season
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 11:21am
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers guys!

Troy got a few to tick off!  but this is an excellent start.  Big Eye, Stripie, blue and sword to come hopefully!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 12:02pm
Twocan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great start Jake, remember yarning to you years ago at the Houhora comp and then you would have been stoked with just the yfin!! Great reward for the hours and effort you have put in and it's only the beginning of the season.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 1:12pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just enquiring - is it really that quiet up North for gamefish - no recent postings for this page or south. I had a mate who is just back - towed his boat from hawkes Bay to Karikari then Houhora for 2 weeks. Dead. Have been watching for signs of action - but seems to be...dead. 
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 8:53pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Heard 8 marlin landed off Raglan today, possibly more????
I'm heading to Whangaroa for 10 days fishing in 10 days...
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken