Gamefishing Updates - Manukau to Ahipara - 17/18

Page  <1 2345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 8:19pm
Cocker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Make sure you miss the Sanford fish bins floating around the 3rd marker if launching from Onehunga. We didn't. Put payed to our day.Bent prop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 9:32pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Cocker Cocker wrote:

Make sure you miss the Sanford fish bins floating around the 3rd marker if launching from Onehunga. We didn't. Put payed to our day.Bent prop.

That's a disappointing start to the day. Bugger!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 9:41pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Skoti and I were there to weigh two fish today. One for a CSFC skipper, entered for the Nationals but his mate wasn't. Guess who caught the fish Ouch. Anyway they were happy Big smile and with a 94kg malrin why wouldn't you be!

Next up was Dunworkin, with a 91kg fish just an hour too late for the Nationals. Still a couple of happy guys with their first fish for the season at 91kg.

Only damper on the day was that ******* The Brown Bomber showed up. When we catch him there will be some trouble!

Right in front of our eyes but no one saw him. Sneaky guy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 9:56pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bloody Brown Bomber strikes again ! !
What is the world coming to ?

Clap Congrats Chris , nice fish mate Thumbs Up
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 10:11pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So were in your Aunty Skotia persona today or the normal drunk hillbilly one Wink. I keep telling you that Smudge is a bad influence and that nasty brown stuff plays games with your head.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 11:14pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have no idea what you're on about Mr Tagit Embarrassed LOL
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 8:36pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Bloody Brown Bomber strikes again ! !
What is the world coming to ?

Clap Congrats Chris , nice fish mate Thumbs Up

Thanks Skoti and much appreciated for you and smudge weighing it for me. First weighed marlin so ticking that one off the list!!

As for the brown bomber, I'm onto him, I have now narrowed the list of suspects down, it's only a matter of Time before his true identity is revieled!!!!!!

If anyone's out tomorrow we were fishing 90m straight off port Waikato where we had 3 up at once and two hook ups, sadly lost one when the wire on a bird teaser pulled but stoked we landed the other.

Tonnes of bait in this area.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 6:48am
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went out the Kaipara yesterday for my first west coast mission of the season.
Worked our way out to the 250 mark where we found a cruiser on the surface. We were cruising round doing a few puka drops at the time so now lures out. Deployed the dredge and ran up along side it with a Livie ready to deploy... Dredge worked a treat, no hesitation in coming straight into the boat for a look see..checked out the livie ...then ....nothing Oh well..
very cool to see it all happen in such calm conditions.
Heading in for the day came into what was a local gannet convention at 85M..a few work ups happening here and there, followed them south a few clicks before getting to the last one and ran over a nice solid bait ball. 30 seconds later Mr stickface was in the gear saying hello. Had a look at the BM lumo on the long rigger before coming back around to ambush one of my custom made Ron Akana "Big Reidies" on the shot gun.
A solid stripey at least 120kg tagged at 1615 80M straight out the south channel. The third marlin to fall for that lure now.. not bad considering its meant to be a YFT lure. 9/0 Bonze light gauge hooked cleanly in the top jaw

Heaps of bait out in that depth, I wouldnt waste time going deeper unless your after puka too. Sounded like plenty of action in similar depth north side of the harbour too.
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 10:55am
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 5:24pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very nice looking lure Phil. See its got the shiny wings on it like some those Hawaiian lures like aloha and that have.
Well done good fish and looks like beautiful day and great colour water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 8:42pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi all, a belated fishing report on my first Marlin capture last Sunday. Paul, (skipper) Mike and I headed over the Manukau bar after a early start. It started like many before trolling around ploughing the fields as they say, but there was enough sign to keep us on out toes. None of us had a good nights sleep having been in the Westcoaster Comp the two day previous so I was getting a little weary. Next minute the shotgun screamed into life, I jumped up and got the rod in my gimble as the Marlin headed to the horizon. Being a bit of a Marlin rookie I wasn't used to a hard fighting fish running at a distance from the boat so was juggling keeping tension on the line but avoiding the dreaded high-sticking scenario. I was given plenty of 'pointers' you could say from Paul and Mike as the fish and I took turns gaining line. The fish jumped a couple of times and I thought it looked pretty small but continued to fight it the best I could with my TLD50 which really should have had a service. No excuses there, all other gear on board was up to scratch, but I thought whats the chances of my little TLD hooking a fish? Note to self, always have all your gear in top notch condition. Anyway after about 25 minutes of battling the fish came boatside, it was hooked in the mouth firmly but had become tail wrapped so was pretty much had-it by the time we got to it. We didn't even need to gaff it, it was buggered, but so was I. I'm sure I was 10kg lighter after the fight. We pulled it on board, and I was elated!! We iced it down, looked around for another hour or so hoping to put a tag in a second fish but nothing showed up, so we headed home. We hung it on the scales and it went 99.3kg, so I have the first under my belt and couldn't be happier. Thanks to another generous club member the fish has been smoked and tastes delicious. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 9:51pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Top report Jackel - it's always a good feeling getting your first
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:19am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Karl Clap Thumbs Up
COVID is no joke !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote silver seas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:10am
silver seas View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done Jackel. Thumbs Up

[
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 7:03pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done jackel, the first one is the best.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 7:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yepp great effort Jackel. Great story too 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:26pm
Gold
Gold

Snuck out through the kaipara again today for a gentleman’s hrs trip.
Had two bites in the same spot as last Sunday’s fish but neither stuck
Great conditions all the same
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 10:31pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Any westie reports from last few days? Must have been some good fishing out there...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 10:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I weighed a fish for a couple of locals last night. They had three in the gear, hooked up solid on one and it died on them. 119kg Stripey in 116m (from memory) north of the bar. They were alongside another Counties boat hooked up on a bigger fish that was lost after 4 hours - a junior angler - when the mainline parted. also caught yesterday was a 130kg + black in 90m

On Saturday in atrocious conditions one marlin was tagged for Counties and another lost when their leader parted at the boat.

so yeah, sounds like lots of fish around
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote futech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 1:45pm
futech View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone else going out over the manukau this sunday?
Page  <1 2345>