DO WE REALLY KNOW HOW MUCH FISH RECS CATCH?

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LegaSea Community Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:41pm
LegaSea Community Builder View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Probably need to keep in perspective that a great spawning/recruitment season won't see legal fish for 5-7 years. I was a bit surprised when I first heard this. Talking to one of the marine biologists, he was saying he thought snapper in the Hauraki Gulf reached that 27-30m size at about 7 years but Northland fish grew to that same size in a shorter time frame, closer to 5-6 years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:49pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Heard they shut down Matai Bay due to being fished out too much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 6:18pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

our boat (5m alloy) which had a very good 2016 year as far as snapper is concerned.  we went fishing (2 or 3 on board) when the weather allowed us out of Tauranga, and spent a week holidaying in the far north.  a number of times we kept our limit, and for all of 2016 the boat kept 152 snapper.  We did far better on most trips than others we spoke to at the ramp, so our average keep per person would be 50-60 snapper for the 12 month period.  This year due to crappy weather and the fishing not being as good we've only kept 82.......

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steber17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 11:24pm
Steber17 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Catch n release is becoming more common these days among many fishos and I applaud this, bag limits need to be re addressed , in NSW you can take one marlin of each species per person per day, too me a Marlin should be caught, tagged take all the pics you like and let them go, the average fella who wants a feed of schnapper or flathead has no need for 5 of this or 40 of that in a day, multiply these fishos by tens of millions world wide and off course fisheries will suffer, they closed the gem fish out for commercial boats but many got around this by targetting mirror dory that swim at the same depth as gemfish , do some research and look into the ages of some of the species caught, some can be 200 years old and dont mature until there 50 , its us ultimately that need to curb our habits of filling freezers with fish, take what you need not what you want, the unscrupulous types of rec fishos if you can call them fishos take everything from tiddler to the big breeders, I blame the asians as there diets are mainly fish these guys send there commercial long liners and net draggers to the far flung reaches of the earth million upon millions of tons every year the oceans can not sustain this, why these countrys that rely on fish dont invest in aqua culture and grow there own fish off shore like we do Tuna , Salmon etc or these countrys are going to have to find something else to eat other then fish, in the not too distant future we will see many fisheries closed as the stocks will be dangerously low and the defence for es may be called in to deal with poachers the old fashioned way
Page  <123