37kg lbg braid or mono?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mikeyhz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 37kg lbg braid or mono?
    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 2:26pm
mikeyhz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

HI guys, so what does everyone use for their 37kg land based kingi setups,
Do you use braid or mono off the rocks ,and what line weight?
I've been told that braid,even at 80lb,is not great because it doesn't have the abrasion resistance of mono so it snaps quite easily under tension on contact with rocks.
So,if thats true then what's the alternative? Pretty sure that 80lb mono is a massive diameter???
Thanks for any input

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 3:23pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i think your going to have to guage it on the environment you fish in. i dont think braid is as bad as it used to be and you could run an extra long leader.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 6:21pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nah braid is not good off the rocks or even straylining from a boat, it does not handle abrasion and movement across rocks and reefy structure.

Mono is king in this territory.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 6:36pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Braid rules in one way in the fact it cuts through weed. Many times a king has run me through weed and then I let the leader run through to braid and cut through it. Running a 10m leader would help
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 7:10pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’m not an LBGer, but have done a bit of kingie fishing close to to rocks. I would go with the above advice. The strongest braid you can get away with according to your reel’s capacity, plus a long fluoro or mono leader, 10 metres plus.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mikeyhz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 9:38pm
mikeyhz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

OK cool. I'll go with braid and the extra long leader and hopefully that works well for me. Sounds like a good idea 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 10:38pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

spare spool ftw
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 7:13am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Are you looking to use it for livebaiting or as a casting set?

I do a fair bit of LBG for kings and prefer mono for the livebaiting but braid for top water / casting.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 11:33pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Are you looking to use it for livebaiting or as a casting set?

I do a fair bit of LBG for kings and prefer mono for the livebaiting but braid for top water / casting.
This was the question i was gouing to ask.....I always did the same as JK........You will find the stretch of mono more forgiving whilst playing the fish........braid is good when you need to strike for setting the hook..........If you use suffix synergy(mono)get the heaviest for live baiting......that has braid like qualities......thin for its weight....lower stretch ....but higher abrasion resistance......mono is better for straylinning and live baiting off the bricks......plus its way cheaper....flouro for trace 100/120 pound will do.(live baiting only)
As already mentioned the weight of your line is reflected on the narly ness of the surrounds.......15kg if clean.......24kg for average......you have the option of a 10 meter shockleader before your trace......that you could employ as well, for live baiting.....37kg mainline in mono would give you added security but probably less hits as well.
        If you want to stay away from braid.......you could try stickbaiting with the suffix synergy.......have a swivel at the stickbait and one from mainline to leader but dont use flouro for that....use a supple leader....such as black magic supple......cheap and cheerful but does the job....80 to 100 pound for sticks.Wink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mikeyhz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 12:13am
mikeyhz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys. yeah I'll be using the setup for live baiting.
So maybe mono is the go then??
I'll be using the setup at a few different spots ranging from sandy to really rocky and weedy.
In time, I could buy another reel or spool to put lighter line on and switch over when needed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 7:21am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yeah I'd go mono. People been using it for years livebaiting off the rocks without issue
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 9:33pm
Titanium
Titanium

Jk......How do you rig your live baits please? through the shoulder....bridle?
        I had a few techniques that worked sweet on the boat.......but i used to get a lot of pulled live baits without hook ups......also thought maybe the balloon was over inflated......Do you favour circle hook or J hook for live baiting......long trace or short?
        It was a weak point for me........chucking a piper out rigged through the head... worked mind.Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:52am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

I had a few techniques that worked sweet on the boat.......but i used to get a lot of pulled live baits without hook ups......also thought maybe the balloon was over inflated......Do you favour circle hook or J hook for live baiting......long trace or short?
        It was a weak point for me........chucking a piper out rigged through the head... worked mind.Big smile

Bit off topic but methods depends on the livebait I guess

usually just through shoulder with a j hook but for piper i prefer a smaller hook and through eye socket behind eye. If you stuff it up they did quick but after a bit of practice you can get it right and they will swim all day (well assuming they last that long before being gobbled up as they usually dont). Some people prefer ass hooking for piper just behind the fin but never really worked for me
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:44am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

Bit off topic but methods depends on the livebait I guess

usually just through shoulder with a j hook but for piper i prefer a smaller hook and through eye socket behind eye. If you stuff it up they did quick but after a bit of practice you can get it right and they will swim all day (well assuming they last that long before being gobbled up as they usually dont). Some people prefer ass hooking for piper just behind the fin but never really worked for me
i used to do the anal thing with the piper and used a plastic ball float to keep the weight of the line of the piper......my issue was more  with medium ky and shoulder hooking them.....got them pulled off the hook both on the boat and land with no hook up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mikeyhz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 4:20pm
mikeyhz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What would be the best knot to join a 120lb mono leader to 50lb mono main line?
I've always just used a short leader tied with a uni knot onto a swivel then uni knot again from the swivel to the mainline.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 5:53pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mikeyhz mikeyhz wrote:

I've always just used a short leader tied with a uni knot onto a swivel then uni knot again from the swivel to the mainline.
"Allbright" is easy and slim too....."slim beauty "as well i think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 6:11pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I double my mainline (24kg) with a bimini twist then run a wind on leader (100-200lb depending on location) then uni to swivel, then 100-150lb trace to hook. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 8:08pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pico Pico wrote:

I double my mainline (24kg) with a bimini twist then run a wind on leader (100-200lb depending on location) then uni to swivel, then 100-150lb trace to hook. 

thats a good way to do it and easy......as long as you know how to do a bimini twist.....those wind on leaders are not cheap..suffix ones are very good....i used to use for jigging and off the bricks.....but joining a shock leader to your mainline with a knot is cheaper and easier.......id go 100 poubnd flouro for trace as well.....thinner....get more hits ....more invisibleness and just as tough as 150 pound mono.......spend your money there....the business end and save on the shock leader.....the albright is perfect for two mono lines of different thickness.Wink.......I have used the bimini for braid.....although it was designed for mono......you get some series twisting of the mono....in braid its awesome.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 8:32pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Bimini is a piece of piss to tie, easy to learn with YouTube vids, plus very strong and reliable.

An even quicker option is the spiders hitch, but it's not as strong.

Wind on leaders are only $15-20 or so, hardly expensive, and they don't need to be replaced that often.

Agree on the Fluoro trace, been using duel/yo-zuri in 100-130lb mainly, although can go quite a bit lighter for harbours, or heavier for really nasty territory